Another Pizza, another shooting

Again, a pizza, a robbery, a gunshot
Another Lexington delivery man wounds holdup suspect
By JOHN MONK - [email protected]
A Papa John’s pizza delivery man shot and wounded a 17-year-old who called in a pizza order and then robbed him at a vacant house with a fake handgun, the Lexington County Sheriff’s Department said.

The incident occurred July 5, but deputies delayed announcing it until Monday — a day after the teen was charged with robbery, and eight days after the shooting.

It was the second time in recent months that a pizza delivery man in Lexington County has shot someone trying to rob him.

The other incident was March 7, when a Pizza Hut delivery man shot and killed a 17-year-old assailant who was beating him. Deputies have arrested three other teens in that Irmo-area incident.

But neither pizza delivery man is facing charges, since authorities have ruled both shootings were in self-defense. The two delivery men carried concealed-weapon permits, deputies said.

In the most recent shooting, Sheriff James Metts is withholding the name of the pizza delivery man. He said Monday through a spokesman that deputies feared for the man’s safety — but would not give details of any threats.

The suspect, Raymond Antonio Metze, 17, of 212 Crestridge Drive, Lexington, was booked Sunday at the Lexington County Detention Center on charges of armed robbery and possessing a weapon during the commission of a violent crime. He is in jail under $100,000 bond.

A black BB pistol that resembled a semiautomatic handgun was used in the robbery, a Sheriff’s Department spokesman said.

Metze was at Palmetto Health Richland for more than a week, though details of his treatment were not released. He got out of the hospital Sunday night.

The July 5 shooting occurred in the Red Bank area of Lexington County, about a mile west of White Knoll High School.

According to warrants and reports from deputies, shortly before midnight, the 29-year-old delivery man — from Papa John’s on 3937 Platt Springs Road — brought pizza to 236 Crestridge Drive. The home was vacant.

After the delivery man knocked on the front door, a man came from the side of the house with what appeared to be a handgun and demanded cash.

The pizza delivery man gave him a little more than $200.

As the pizza delivery man left, the suspect kept pointing his fake pistol at him. Not knowing it was fake and only fired BBs, the pizza man pulled his handgun. It was real, a 9mm semiautomatic.

He fired one shot, wounding the suspect in his chest.

The suspect fled and the pizza delivery man called 911. Acting on a neighbor’s tip, deputies found the suspect within minutes, lying on a porch of a nearby house.

The suspect was airlifted to Palmetto Health Richland.

Metts said the unidentified pizza delivery man was not charged because he acted in self-defense. Deputies and the 11th Circuit solicitor’s office made the determination.

In the March shooting, pizza delivery man Christopher Miller, 43, from an Irmo-area Pizza Hut, voluntarily agreed to have his name released to the public, the Sheriff’s Department said.

The Papa John’s pizza man, a spokesman added, wants confidentiality.

At least they know now that crime doesn't pay and that the Castle Doctrine works! Keep up the good work Pizza delivery drivers.

It will be interesting to see what Papa John’s will do. All I can say is next time double tap. Save the tax payers money.

Gotta love Papa John's Pizza, and the fact they permit their drivers to defend themselves - that's great!

Desperate times and all, I'm sure we'll continue to see more robberies and criminal activity, so more power to the CCW's out there!

Now, if Crossbreed Holsters comes up with a "Papa Johns" holster, designed to mount right inside their red warmer bag thingy, the driver would be able to hold the pizza(s) WHILE having his/her hand already on the gun... that'd be a cool and effective holster for Pizza dudes everywhere... :biggrin:

Forget that giving up the cash nonsense.... "you want my money? Sure. Hang on..." BLAM BLAM BLAM.... :mad: Another dead punk. No worries.

The suspect fled and the pizza delivery man called 911. Acting on a neighbor’s tip, deputies found the suspect within minutes, lying on a porch of a nearby house.

The suspect was airlifted to Palmetto Health Richland.

Airlifted, huh? What a waste of money that this scumbag won't ever pay back. I'd be all for a law that restricts the use of airlifts in such situations. Save money upfront, and in the long run too.

"Persons injured while committing a felony shall not be transported by aircraft." :hang3:

When the Kenyan's health care plan kicks in, wounded bad guys won't be the only ones dying slow, painful deaths.

Good on him. I deliver for a popular pizza chain and carry at all times. Keltec in my pocket and my G23 in the center console. With the current times, robbery rates are going up.

It will be interesting to see what Papa John’s will do. All I can say is next time double tap. Save the tax payers money.

I like that idea; scumbags like this don't need a chance to sue someone! Speaking of that, can you get into trouble for say putting 4-5 holes in him, say something like, it was dark and I didn’t know if I hit him the first couple of times?! :biggrin:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back