Another newbie with questions regarding background checks

CarryforSafety

First of all let me say Thanks for allowing me to join this forum. I have been a Madison County, Alabama resident since 2001. I have bought several firearms including 3 pistols since I've been here and have obviously passed all the required checks for purchase. I finally decided to go down last week and apply for my concealed carry pistol permit. My question is, Is the same background check used for the pistol permit that is used for pistol purchase? If not, could somone please explain the difference? I humbly thank anyone that can answer this question for me in advance.

I too own several guns, and have passed checks for purchase, and I'm in the same boat... I will be applying for my concealed carry permit this summer, and I'd like to also know if the background check used for purchases of guns is the same background check to get one's concealed carry permit. Would someone please answer this question for both of us? Many thanks!

Link Removed

The sheriff is likely to use the Alabama Criminal Justice Information Center for their background check which, in addition to other databases, queries the same FBI database that the NICS check goes through. I am curious as to why there is a concern? If you have nothing in our past to disqualify you then what difference does it make what background check they do? If something shows up that is in error then you are going to have to appeal it, period.

But if you want to check up on yourself:
Link Removed

Ditto what Navy said and I would add that if you that concerned about the process I would recommend calling the sheriff of the county you reside in (or if not sheriff issued, then the issuing agency).

Scratching my head here... Someone seems to be worried about passing a background check for a permit after having passed one for a purchase. One wonders why? Alabama is a shall issue state. What did you do between purchasing the last firearm and getting the permit now that makes you worried, or what did the other background checks miss?

Ditto what Navy said and I would add that if you that concerned about the process I would recommend calling the sheriff of the county you reside in (or if not sheriff issued, then the issuing agency).

Isn't it kind of suspicious for the sheriff to receive a phone call, "Ummm.....yeah.....see, I'm going to apply for a concealed permit soon and I was just....ahhhh.....wondering, you know, do you do a background check more than NICS?"

Scratching my head here... Someone seems to be worried about passing a background check for a permit after having passed one for a purchase. One wonders why? Alabama is a shall issue state. What did you do between purchasing the last firearm and getting the permit now that makes you worried, or what did the other background checks miss?

People have passed NICS checks before to purchase handguns and then have been denied permits because either there are more prohibitions for the permit than for the purchase of a firearm or NICS only has the information that the state submits and some states are not all that good with submitting things like health records that the sheriff will see on a local background check and use to deny the permit.

First of all let me say Thanks for allowing me to join this forum. I have been a Madison County, Alabama resident since 2001. I have bought several firearms including 3 pistols since I've been here and have obviously passed all the required checks for purchase. I finally decided to go down last week and apply for my concealed carry pistol permit. My question is, Is the same background check used for the pistol permit that is used for pistol purchase? If not, could somone please explain the difference? I humbly thank anyone that can answer this question for me in advance.
Man up, throw the diced and let the chips fall were they may. You got warrants or paper on you? If not, don't let your heart be troubled. Be honest on your app. and let it ride.

uh..oh. What did you do? Inquiring minds and busy bodies like me want to know. No fair running off and not telling.

People have passed NICS checks before to purchase handguns and then have been denied permits because either there are more prohibitions for the permit than for the purchase of a firearm or NICS only has the information that the state submits and some states are not all that good with submitting things like health records that the sheriff will see on a local background check and use to deny the permit.

So the real question by the OP should have been: "Am I prohibited from obtaining a carry permit in Alabama because of ...". That's what I am getting at. Again, Alabama is shall issue. Read 13A-11-72 and 13A-11-75 on the prohibitions of possession of a firearm (13A-11-72) and of obtaining a carry permit (13A-11-75). It may be important to know the following (from Link Removed):

Could I be arrested or prosecuted if I give any false information in order to obtain a pistol license?

Yes. You may be arrested and prosecuted under Alabama State Code Title 13A-11-70 thru 84.

Thanks for the reply. To be honest I'm a bit taken aback by some of the responses. I am not hiding anything nor am I worried about warrants or issues from my past. I was simply curious as to the depth of the investigation when submitting the application. Privacy is my right and I merely wanted to know how deep they dig,,,,Geez guys, give a patriot and advocate a break.. I actually surprised no one has asked this questio before.

Thanks for the reply. To be honest I'm a bit taken aback by some of the responses. I am not hiding anything nor am I worried about warrants or issues from my past. I was simply curious as to the depth of the investigation when submitting the application. Privacy is my right and I merely wanted to know how deep they dig,,,,Geez guys, give a patriot and advocate a break.. I actually surprised no one has asked this questio before.

You do understand that this is a basic criminal and mental health background check, and not an anal probe (such as a background check for a security clearance or for anything associated to firearms in the state of New Jersey)? No-one is going to interview your high school friends (a common procedure for a security clearance). As Alabama is a shall issue state, the background check really only identifies if you are a prohibited person or not, using records available to the state.

Note that your original question did not mention your concern about privacy. In fact, it did not mention a motivation for the question, so we started questioning that motivation.

You do understand that this is a basic criminal and mental health background check, and not an anal probe (such as a background check for a security clearance or for anything associated to firearms in the state of New Jersey)? No-one is going to interview your high school friends (a common procedure for a security clearance). As Alabama is a shall issue state, the background check really only identifies if you are a prohibited person or not, using records available to the state.

Which is still reprehensible. Giving the government the power to require a citizen to obtain government approval to bear arms goes completely against the very basic purpose of the 2nd Amendment.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back