Another episode of deadly force

Four legged meat grinders or just watch dogs .Mine will bark and then help load the truck.

Four legged meat grinders or just watch dogs .Mine will bark and then help load the truck.

One is a 3yo 75lb Rottweiler/Hound mix, the other is a 9-month-old 85lb German Shepherd/Lab mix.

The Rottie-mix is one tough, mean SOB (He got bit by a Copperhead a few months ago. The snake died.), we rescued him from the local shelter... He's a real softie when it comes to us, and he loves the puppy, too. I have no doubt that an intruder would have to leave a limb behind in order to escape "Rex". He looks and sounds like a Rottweiler, except no tan markings... he's black with some spotty grey blotches. No bobbed tail either.

The puppy "Leonidas", is a incredibly smart and full of energy (think 'tigger'). He's got the shape and build of a GSD, but solid black. Cool looking dog, actually, and he's a handful too. He can run and jump like I've never seen a dog do before (I keep expecting to find him on the roof when I come home), he figured out how to use his legs when he got out of the awkward stage a couple months ago. He's alot taller and longer than the Rottie, and his head and jaws are too... but he's not filled out yet, we're expecting him to be 100-110lb fully-grown, based on his parents' sizes. The Rottie can still whup up on him though, it's all technique I guess. He's still way too playful to be able to back up the ferocious bark and appearance he puts up, but he is very protective of us... moreso in a watchful way, and by wedging his body between people until one of us tells him it's okay. He wouldn't hurt a fly out of spite... but he's hell on rawhide, toys and furniture (and TV remotes :mad:)!

Count me

as ++ on the dog security...

We have two, a shepard, and a dobie....both rescue dogs....both by nature very protective but loving to us.

I don't see them as ultimate security, that's my job, but they're certain to alert me to any dangers while a sleep very soundly at night. Me'n' the short barreled 12ga pump will deal with whatever the threat may be.

flc

Jc40

My dog is a mix breed.He from what we know anyways is part chocolate lab,rott,chow and i believe shepard.Has a lot of chow in his looks,but is light tan and black snout.We have had him from day one as an old dog we had ended up having some pups and he was one of only two males.He was also the only one that was tan,all the rest were black with some tan on the chest.
He is a very protective dog,but will be friendly to people if we are there.If someone were to get agressive or physical towards me or the kids.God help them.Great dog that has never had to be taught to be aggresive,but knows what to do instictively.

Our female Akitas were both that way. We had them back to back,,, one at a time. Friendly enough to most folks, but if someone became agressive towards any of us they would let that person know they were not wanted around.

One of them was more agressive at 'cutting' a person she didn't care for away from the door when she came over. No harm, just standing between the person and the entry. I feel that either one would have given their life to protect us.

Other dogs were often another story though. Either of them would charge and hip check encroaching dogs and they would run off yelping like they had been chewed on.

spc

SPC there just aren't any other dogs like Akitas? I have a male and my brother has a male and a female. They all have the best personality of any dog I have ever been around. I don't think I will ever have another breed of dog. I think as long as I was home they would love any other person. However, as you said, I think anyone that tried to harm me or the wife would be very sorry. They don't seem very found of other dogs. Any other animal for that matter. I frequently find dead ground hog remains in my back yard. Occasionally a nice dead skunk. My brothers like to leave them dead coons in their driveway. Akitas are the best.

For my .02 you can't beat an Airedale terrier. As has been mentioned about other breeds, my first Airedale was very suspicious when people came into the house. I sort of had to introduce them and then she was fine, but even then she never became complacent even with friends who came by regularly. There was always that moment of checking them out. After that she would even let those people take her for a walk as long as it was okay with me.

I had a funny experience with Ginger, in that she was my dog. Sometimes my wife would go to bed earlier than I did and she would come over to kiss me goodnight. Ginger never threatened her in anyway, but just kept herself between me and my wife. Looking out for me.

Then I went out of town on business for a few days. I got home fairly late, my wife was already in bed, and Ginger wouldn't let me get in bed until my wife let her know it was okay.

One note though. Ginger was from a long line of hunting dogs. After Ginger we got into dog shows and our next five Airedales were all "show" dogs. As someone else said about their dogs most of the dogs that followed Ginger would would probably have held the door open for burglars. Well, except for the only male Airedale we had. :eek:

SPC there just aren't any other dogs like Akitas? I have a male and my brother has a male and a female. They all have the best personality of any dog I have ever been around. I don't think I will ever have another breed of dog. I think as long as I was home they would love any other person. However, as you said, I think anyone that tried to harm me or the wife would be very sorry. They don't seem very found of other dogs. Any other animal for that matter. I frequently find dead ground hog remains in my back yard. Occasionally a nice dead skunk. My brothers like to leave them dead coons in their driveway. Akitas are the best.

A big 10-4 on everything you said.

We are currently dog less, our 2nd Akita passed about 3 years ago and our teen son was uninterested in a fresh puppy so we decided to put another dog on hold. If or when security ever becomes an issue with us a fresh Akita will be in the stars and on the deck standing proud.

spc :D

I have FIVE living alarm systems.The original is a female,a rottwieler/Australian shepherd cross.Them we got another.He is a male,and a Labrador retriever,German shepherd cross.Our other three are two males and one female and are all rott/Aussi/German/Lab crosses.(I'll give you one guess how that happened)I honestly don't know if they would ever actually hurt anyone,but they would let me know if anyone or anything was in the yard that shouldn't be.And that's what I want them to do.That's their job.Hurting anyone is mine.
:)

Dogs are great, but there is something better. In FL, we have gators. They don't bark or put up a fuss, they just get the job done - and they don't require feeding, cleaning up after, or walking. They just sit quietly in the backyard pond (or the moat in your yard) until someone stupidly walks into their territory. Also, a gator or two will fix the problem of any stray dogs, cats, etc in the neighborhood. :D

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back