Ankle Holster

Jester

I have had a life changing experience this week. I have carried on and off for a couple of years now. Most of this is because I live in one state that allows CC and work in one that doesn't. This makes it hard to develop an every day habit. When I do carry it has always been with an IWB holster, and I have a drawer full of them as most people do. However, I have a small frame (5'11" @ 142#) and I find it very difficult to conceal without printing or even exposing the firearm in certain situations, especially in the summer months. Most of this is due to the lack of correct fitting clothing for guys with my build rather than the fit of the holster. I also find the IWB very uncomfortable while sitting.

So, a little over a week ago I purchased a Desantis Apache Ankle Holster and have been wearing it every day since. I must say this is the best thing ever! I know some of you guys out there scoff at the idea of carrying on the ankle due to draw time and ease of draw. I'll have to agree that it is slower but I would rather have the firearm with me than leave it at home. Anyhow, I just wanted to share my stroy for any other skinny guys out there having the same difficulties.

Glad you found something that works for you. I could never use one. It would drive me crazy having one ankle heavier than the other one.

Carrying a gun on the ankle is way better than not carrying a gun at all. I’m not a fan of the ankle for a primary carry location myself, but if it works for you then that’s all that matters. Just practice with it to the point where your draw becomes 2nd nature.

Be safe and always carry.

Glad you found something that works for you. I could never use one. It would drive me crazy having one ankle heavier than the other one.

+1
I tried an ankle holster years ago and it drove me nuts.

Carrying a gun on the ankle is way better than not carrying a gun at all. I’m not a fan of the ankle for a primary carry location myself, but if it works for you then that’s all that matters.

+1 whatever works

Ankle holsters can be very convenient. I've used a galco ankle glove for the past 12+ years to carry a BUG.

All the best

Thats great that you found a holster you like but you still got that pesky State line problem. What you gonna do about that?

Sent you a PM about the 5.11 Covert Cargo. You might also consider holsters like the Crossbreed Supertuck, something by Kholster, or Galco's new Kingtuck (copy of the Crossbreed) for IWB options.

If you would like a killer OWB option, my boss is taking orders on the Canovi modular holsters that will allow you to unsnap the holster from the belt attachment for non-carry friendly environments. Granted this is going to print during warmer months and it's likely to become an open carry holster in hot months, but it's an option. Their builder is working on an IWB version and a vehicle mount.

That said, if you're going to use an ankle carry...one of the most comfortable holsters I've had on to date was the Fobus ankle holster. I had a Glock 26 with the flush mags in it and had no issues other than realizing that I wasn't comfortable with the amount of time and body position it required to get to and unholster from the ankle. The Fobus had lots of nice padding and felt quite nice; it hid quite well too.

We have too much mud up here anyway to ankle carry.I tried carrying spare mags there and had to switch to horizontal belt pouches,i got my mags muddy today :help:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back