Ankle Holster advice

Lakeland Man

Hey all,

My aunt is going to give me a little Charter Arms .38 pistol. I was wondering what everyone thought about ankle holsters for daily carry. I can't carry IWB or OWB because of work.

Also, I'm right handed. Is it better to carry on the outside of my right ankle or the inside of my left ankle?

Thanks for the input.

If ya gotta CC that way, which I do not recommend, CC on your left leg. Again, not recommended. as a back up maybe, but not as a primary. JMHO

I don't recommend ankle carry as primary but if you do as said above carry inside the left leg. Consider trying pocket carry with an inside the pocket holster such as Uncle Mike's or DeSantis Nemesis (more expensive but lasts much longer and better in my opinion).

If concealment is what you are after at work, the pocket carry is much more concealable than ankle without having to be careful about pant length or how you sit.

An ankle holster should really only be used for a backup weapon. If you were to get into a situation that depended on you being able to draw your weapon first, by the time you bend down and retrieve your weapon you are more than likely going to be shot before your gun even leaves the holster.
If IWB carry doesnt work for you may I suggest a concealment t shirt that has a holster built right in, Or maybe a waist pack(also known as a fanny pack). There are also OWB holsters that look like a cell phone case. I'm not sure if they make one for a 38 revolver or not But I know they make them for .380 auto.
In my opinion, (and I'm sure I am not alone) Ankle carry is the worst form of carry for a primary weapon.

Semper Fi
Ron

Having carried a .38 in an ankle holster for over 20 years as both a backup and occasional primary weapon I would also recommend a good leather holster with a thumb real. You so need to practice with it to get good. I have to qualify twice a year drawing from the ankle holster and can do it as quick as those from inside a shirt or pocket.

I manage a restaurant so I wear dress pants, and a shirt and tie. Pocket carry is uncomfortable and, considering the amount of times I have to retrieve something from my pockets, impractical. Fanny packs are also out. This would be my primary weapon while I was working. After I get off work, I carry OWB or IWB as the situation and my wardrobe warrants.

Does this info help at all?

If you're talking about the Charter Arms .38 Undercover - 5 shot snubby with less than 2" barrel - then I have some input.

Not sure why you can't do IWB with a tuckable holster at work. That's pretty darn concealed! :) But if it's really not possible, then I second the other guys and recommend either pocket carry or "off body" carry in a cell case / camera case / belt pack / fanny pack. There are lots of choices out there.

Why is it not possible to have an IWB while wearing slacks with short and tie. I wear a suit and tie and carry IWB with no problems just get a good holster that allows you to tuck. Or you can get a belly band orthe crouch holster. But I don't recommend an ankle holster for your primary weapons the time it takes to draw your weapon you would be dead Buthelezi time you get it out.

I'm in agreement with those who say it shouldn't be your primary means of carry. I'd do it as a backup were it not for a genetic problem of mine...I have really large and muscular calves. Although I have to exercise hard to develop my other muscles, my ankles are thick and my calves are the envy of serious body builders. Therefore, I cannnot easily pull up my trousers enough for a clean draw. Until bell bottoms come back, an ankle holster won't work for me.

I appreciate all the input from everyone.

The reason IWB won't work is that in front I have too much belly. Also, if the grip should protrude and is seen by anyone, I could lose my job. I could concieveable carry IWB in the small of my back, but sweat is an issue and all the bending and reaching might expose the weapon.

I guess I am contrary to everyone else, but I carried off duty in an ankle holster for years. I am right handed and carry on the outside of my right ankle, since that is where my right hand falls when I draw. Never understood carrying on the inside of my ankle so the gun butt hits my other ankle and I have to draw between my legs.

I have used a Bianchi and a Galco holster, both lined with sheepskin and each had a thumb break for retention. After wearing it for a while, you forget it is there. The Galco has a strap which goes around your upper calf to help keep the gun concealed.

Since most of us sit down all day, either driving or at a desk, the ankle holster is easy to access from that position. Admittedly, it is harder to draw from a standing position, but it is better than not having anything to draw at all.

I have carried both a Smith model 60 and a Walther PPK/S in the ankle holster without any problems.

I still carry that way sometimes, but now I usually carry in a pocket or on my belt.

Just remember that the gun you leave at home will not help you the least in a gunfight.

JMHO

I appreciate all the input from everyone.

The reason IWB won't work is that in front I have too much belly. Also, if the grip should protrude and is seen by anyone, I could lose my job. I could concieveable carry IWB in the small of my back, but sweat is an issue and all the bending and reaching might expose the weapon.

Get dress pants with good sized pockets and use a pocket holster mentioned above. Try it. A lot less chance of the firearm showing or "printing" than having your pant leg creep up. No bulge at the bottom of the pant leg either.

Alessi. I have many of their holsters. Outstanding quality. Their ankle rigs are the standard by which all others are judged. While I do not condone ankle carry for primary, you know your situation better than I. If you must ankle carry, hedge your bets and get the best ankle holster available: Alessi. Expensive, but the best.

I forgot about this holster, the Kangaroo Carry. I have one I bought from Austin Davis at the Wannamachers show in Tulsa. It is extremely comfortable and conceals well, with the gun under your arm. Just wear a larger size shirt and get the correct size for your frame and gun you plan to carry.

i love the Ankle carry, its a great stealth carry. i started using one,(not as a primary carry holster) back in the 70'S after seeing Popeye Doyle use one in the French Connection. it has some tactical advantages.

Link Removed
Firearms Circle

If ya gotta CC that way, which I do not recommend, CC on your left leg. Again, not recommended. as a back up maybe, but not as a primary. JMHO

If you must carry in an ankle holster, practice, practice, practice your draw.

Let me also make clear that Ankle carry should not be a primary carry, it has some tactical advantages in certain situations, but those percentages are small. I prefer vertical hip carry and recommend it for primary carry, if you decide to use Ankle carry as a primary carry, then a quick/fast/easy access to your weapon is not a primary concern.

i use an Ankle carry when circumstances prevent a Hip carry, a ankle carry is a better option than leaving my weapon home.

Let me also make clear that Ankle carry should not be a primary carry, it has some tactical advantages in certain situations, but those percentages are small. I prefer vertical hip carry and recommend it for primary carry, if you decide to use Ankle carry as a primary carry, then a quick/fast/easy access to your weapon is not a primary concern.

i use an Ankle carry when circumstances prevent a Hip carry, a ankle carry is a better option than leaving my weapon home.

I must tactfully disagree with you that the percentages are small. Think about your day. Many of us get in our car to drive to and from work. A gun in an ankle holster is easier to access than one that is behind your him as you are held in place and blocked by the seat belt.

Many of us spend our working hours sitting at a desk or sitting somewhere, again, the ankle carried gun is easier to access than one wedged into the back of your chair. And is is easier to access without drawing attention to yourself.

I do admit that if you are standing all day, the ankle holster is harder to reach and certainly does draw attention to your movements. I have carried both ways and still do, depending on my situation. But I think we make a mistake by automatically dismissing ankle carried guns. And I totally agree that any carry of any gun of any caliber is better than leaving your gun at home.

Carry that roscoe.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back