AMTRAK Autotrain?

Rick-e

I'm thinking of taking the Autotrain from Lorton VA to Sanford FL sometime soon. If I'm licensced in all of the states from my home state NY to FL with the exception of SC, am I alright if my handgun(s) are secured in a gun safe in the trunk of my vehicle? Is anyone aware of AMTRAK's policy on this?

(Car is loaded on the train in Lorton, I'll have no access to the vehicle while on the train, until the car is taken off the train in Sanford)

don't ask don't tell should work in this situation. it is against amtrak rules to transport firearms on their trains, and if this were different times this arbitrary and IMHO illegal prohibition should be addressed.

I read the policy and it looks to me like you are allowed. As long as:

You declare 24 hours in advance
The car classifies as "checked baggage"
And your safe qualifies within their specs for a locked container.

In fact, why not just put the safe in a piece of luggage, declare it, and check it?

What am I missing?

it is against amtrak rules to transport firearms on their trains, and if this were different times this arbitrary and IMHO illegal prohibition should be addressed.

I take it you didn't bother reading the link to Amtrak's policy that NavtLCDR posted up above?

apvbguy very rarely posts something that is not incorrect.

I have to agree with Navy on this. The process for transporting a firearm in checked baggage is spelled out pretty clearly on the Amtrak website. The only question is if a car counts as checked baggage. And the gun owner has to accompany it on the same train.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BFerguson
Back