Ammunition Grain 230 vs 200 for Target Practice and Self Defense

Connor44

Hi all,
Brand new to the forum, and just found what I want to purchase for my first handgun for home and self defense and I'm in need of a little help.
The ammunition I used to test fire today was .45 ACP with 230 grain rounds (Federal Premium-American Eagle) and the Self Defense rounds people have recommended to me are Hornady, but regular load only comes in 200 grain...How much of a difference is there between the two in terms of velocity and shot placement?
Thanks!
Connor

Hornady Critical Duty is 220 grs.
Hornady XTP in a 230 gr.
I would use one of those.
Stay away from the Critical defense.

The Hornady XTP 230 gr. + P is what I use in my Kimber 1911 ultra CDP.. for my EDC

i-HV4K5d4-L.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all,
Brand new to the forum, and just found what I want to purchase for my first handgun for home and self defense and I'm in need of a little help.
The ammunition I used to test fire today was .45 ACP with 230 grain rounds (Federal Premium-American Eagle) and the Self Defense rounds people have recommended to me are Hornady, but regular load only comes in 200 grain...How much of a difference is there between the two in terms of velocity and shot placement?
Thanks!
Connor

Federal American Eagle
Weight: 230 Grain*
Muzzle Velocity: 890 fps
Muzzle Energy: 369 ft. lbs.

Hornady XTP Hollow Point
Weight: 200 Grain
Muzzle velocity: 900 fps
Muzzle energy: 360 ft/lbs

I would suggest to go with whatever ammo reliably cycles through your firearm. Shot placement I would think has more to do with you than the rounds.

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app

OP, I wouldn't put too much emphasis on the bullet grain. Either of those weights will poke nice holes in an attacker, as long as you can put them where they need to be. I suggest you carry what functions 100% in you weapon, stick with that and train with a similar load as much as you can. Personally, I have no issues carrying 230gr 'ball' in my .45s, especially when it's a lead round. Yes, that's right, I do carry all-lead rounds in some of my handguns. My carry load for .38Spl is a 148gr LSWC, it cuts clean holes in my intended targets.

Thanks for the advice and help everyone, this makes me feel better about what ammunition to get when it comes time to get my handgun!!

Target and home defense? 185gn JHP or 200gn L-SWC. 230gn isn't the best for either, IMHO, unless you are in Bullseye competition in service class or whatever it is called where you have to shot 230gn ball.

Importance is what cycles through your firearm. I use 185GR XTP for defense, but 230gr HP are totally fine, but typically target practice with 230gr ball. Just make sure you practice with both. The bullets are different weight, because of that the 230gr ball uses less powder than the 185gr which could cause a different grouping on the target. Make sure you know where your rounds will hit.

Federal American Eagle
Weight: 230 Grain*
Muzzle Velocity: 890 fps
Muzzle Energy: 369 ft. lbs.

Hornady XTP Hollow Point
Weight: 200 Grain
Muzzle velocity: 900 fps
Muzzle energy: 360 ft/lbs

I would suggest to go with whatever ammo reliably cycles through your firearm. Shot placement I would think has more to do with you than the rounds.

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app

AGREE!

Test firing for reliability in carry weapon, practicing w/carry ammo frequently is my recommendation.

Every time I purchase a new firearm, whether handgun or rifle, I try all the different loads possible because it seems every gun has a round it "likes" best....of course other things like bullet type factor into this, even hand load variables, but each gun will fire one particular combination best...

But yes, reliability and accuracy are the prime factors, in that order. :)

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back