ammo shelf life??

mapexman9

I've been hearin people talk about the government passing a law that ammo will only last like 9 years!! Any truth to that?

They may want to do this, but there really is no way of actually doing it.

Read this:
Link Removed

If you have been "hearin" people talk about the 'government' passing a law that will effect the chemical reactions of gunpowder and primers I suggest you start "listenin" to some other people.

Maybe what you're hearing has something to do with ammo the government uses only being stored for 9 years. That would make sense from a reliability standpoint for the various agencies or military. But again this is speculation as I have neither the time nor desire to research this...My ammo will sit around until I want to use it. Just shot some today that was probably 40 years old...

Ammo has no shelf life. I have milsurp ammo from 1972 that still shoots every time (40 years old). The key to ammo lasting longest is a proper environment. A cool & dry place is a must.

In the past and more than once, it has been purposed that ammo, for non military use, should be designed with a shelf life to keep private citizens from stockpiling ammo. The rational always being that this will reduce gun violence and crime. ????? Fortunately the technology just does not exist yet to make ammo with a limited life that is also dependable.

...to keep private citizens from stockpiling ammo. The rational always being that will will reduce gun violence and crime. ????? .

So let me get this straight. Some crook will decide not to rob the 7-11 tonight because he's down to his last box of 9mm?

I recently shot 150 rounds of 22LR through my Henry. The ammo was from 1969. Not ONE of them failed to go bang.

I work at an army ammunition depot; we warehouse and supply all military branches with conventional ammo. There is no shelf life on small arms. About two months back we shipped some WWII .50 cal to a training unit. It was due for an inspection. When we looked at some of the rounds you could not tell a deference from it and a round produced yesterday other than it was head stamped 1944.

I'm sure it's something the government says so that people don't save up ammo , knowing one day we will have a crazy outcome of something and we will be the defensive of outsells not the army.... **** the gov we have to get a license to carry a weapon that was legal to carry before they made laws to make money off of people

Keep your powder dry, have fired ammunition kept in dry since 1945 every round went bang, almost unlimited life if kept in dry boxes. Remember the constitution was written to protect you from the Gov.

Yeah but people vote the assholes in who want to make this ******* china we might as well night call this place the land of the free anymore more like the shithole that we all need guns because the criminals have more rights then us

Kalamity023:284691 said:
Maybe what you're hearing has something to do with ammo the government uses only being stored for 9 years. That would make sense from a reliability standpoint for the various agencies or military. But again this is speculation as I have neither the time nor desire to research this...My ammo will sit around until I want to use it. Just shot some today that was probably 40 years old...
The military stores ammo for ever. When I went to iraq the 5.56 I was issued had a lot number from the sixties

I've shot .303 British that was made in 1917 for WW1. It came in a sealed crate and when we opened the crate, the paper boxes turned basically to dust but every round fired.

I think you guys have missed the point of the original post.
He asked if the gov't was trying to pass a law that would control the shelf life of ammunition.
The answer is NO, but they do have a strong desire to have such a thing.
A patent has already been issued for primers that would have a limited shelf life. However, nobody has been able to invent it yet.
Read here:
Link Removed

Yes it is actually true. It also states that when it reaches that age that it is to be shipped free of charge to me so that I can dispose of it properly......lol

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roosince1911
Back