Ammo Grain Question

Rht4162

i will admit that in my research of everything second amendment i have been remiss in my research of the ammunition itself. is 180 grain good as far as general purpose ammunition? it will be mostly range use and i will probably purchase one box of hollow points for if and when i get the ability to carry.

anyways back to the matter at hand this is what i am currently looking at, it says its copper jacketed but steel cased, and i dont want to purchase in bulk something that might damage my barrel. what do you guys think?

Link Removed

Last edited:
Generally the higher the grainage (particularly in bigger calibers), the more slowly the bullet will move, but the more impact it will have once it hits the target. In determining what grain of ammo you use, try to determine the right balance of bullet weight and energy upon impact.

ook thanks i think i know what you mean, but i am new to all this, i guess frankly, does that look like its good for range use? i know the flat nose acts more like a wad cutter so its good for targets.

ook thanks i think i know what you mean, but i am new to all this, i guess frankly, does that look like its good for range use? i know the flat nose acts more like a wad cutter so its good for targets.

By flat nose, I'm pretty sure you mean non-hollowpoint ammo. That kind is ok for range use; just don't carry it.

i will admit that in my research of everything second amendment i have been remiss in my research of the ammunition itself. is 180 grain good as far as general purpose ammunition? it will be mostly range use and i will probably purchase one box of hollow points for if and when i get the ability to carry.

anyways back to the matter at hand this is what i am currently looking at, it says its copper jacketed but steel cased, and i dont want to purchase in bulk something that might damage my barrel. what do you guys think?

Link Removed

If you're shooting it out of a Glock, I'd think twice aoubt using Wolf Ammunition. The steel cases are pretty rough on the extractors. As for the bullet weight, the 180 grain bullet tends to be a little heavy for my shooting taste. I prefer the 165 grain bullet.

The most common bullet weights for .40 s&w are 155 grain, 165 grain and 180 grain. There are many variations of the bullet which include jacketed, hollow point and lead round nose. Consult your owner's manual, as Glock does not recommend shooting lead round nose ammo out of the OEM barrel. Something to keep in mind when shopping for ammo. If you use "TMJ" or "FMJ" ammo, you shouldn't have any problems.

gf

I carry 180 grain hollow points in both of my .40 S&W pistols (Sig P229 & XDM40).

I practice/train with 165 grain FMJ Winchester white box ammo or my own 165 grain reloads. It's cheaper and has less recoil than the 180 grain.

If you train with 165 grain and carry 180 grain, make sure you have tried the 180 grain at the range. Make sure it feeds and shoots well in your firearm.

I don't care for Wolf ammo except for 7.62x39mm for my MAK-90 and perhaps 7.62x39mm AR-15s. Eastern block ammo is predominately steel cased. For your AK variants, they digest it pretty well. I've heard mixed things about using it in AR-15s.

For practice handgun ammo I use American Eagle (Federal), Blazer Brass, Sellier and Bellot, UMC (Remington) or USA (Winchester white box) or load it myself.

I typically prefer the medium to heavier bullets for semi-auto pistols when given a choice between several grains in factory commercial ammunition.
  • .380 ACP; 102 grain
  • 9mm; 124 or 147 grain
  • .40 S&W; 180 grain
  • 10mm; 180 or 200 grain
  • .45 ACP; 200 or 230 grain
Whatever you decide to use, make sure it works reliably on the range and the recoil is manageable for you. A few grains may make all the difference.

Last edited:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back