ammo availability in a post fan world

festus

God Bless Our Troops!!!
This is kinda what I have put together over the years.

In a post fan world, military rounds will be fairly prevalent in the opening days but will probably die off quickly.

Resupply from a blue beanie will most likely be
5.56 from US and Nato forces. Former slavic forces will be 5.45 russian an 7.62 x 39. African and turkish troops will be 7.62x51 NATO and a lot of G-3 and FN FAL rifles.

Pistol will be almost universally 9mm from NATO and most US forces. 9 MM &40 S&W from most LEOs with a representation of 45 ACP.

12 Ga is the universal donor. Even the spetznaz use it.

Most LMG's are 7.62 X 51 on the Nato side of the house and 7.62 x 54 Russian on the Slavic side of the house.

This is a good source of .308/7.62 NATO ammo for those of us that utilize weapons chambered for such.

Good Luck and good hunting

Remember Post fan is an any thing goes scenario

Seems to me if you're in a position to 'acquire' someone's ammo...you're also in a position to acquire their weapon(s). No?

for the uninitiated among you.....

Spetznaz that festus refered to is the soviet special forces. they are equivalent to the green berets and the british/australian S.A.S. the naval spetznaz is similar to our S.E.A.L.s and the S.B.S.

I like the way you think, Ektarr :biggrin:

Maybe, but then penalty from possessing a "government" issued weapon would probasbly be harsher since they know where it came from. Sort of like getting caught with a dept issued gun lost/stolen from a cop. On the other hand, 5.56 FMJ are just 5.56 FMJ.
Unless it's a SreallyHTF scenario, not worth the ramifications as cops and militia/peacekeepers will likely be all over stopping everyone.

My information may be a bit off, but I vaguely recall attampts to confiscate guns when Hurricane Katrina hit the southeast.

Pardon my novice-ness, but is the post fan similar to "without rule of law"?

Post fan means no law...no infrastructure

Post fan means no law...no infrastructure...NO choices.

Post fan means that all means of civilization is dead as we know it. You are on your own or in small groups of like minded goal oriented persons trying to rebuild some sort of community infrastructure.

For me, I expect to be comfortably sequestered on the South 37 with adequate renewable resources and a commanding field of fire. Call before you come, otherwise...who knows?

Maybe, but then penalty from possessing a "government" issued weapon would probasbly be harsher since they know where it came from. Sort of like getting caught with a dept issued gun lost/stolen from a cop. On the other hand, 5.56 FMJ are just 5.56 FMJ.
Unless it's a SreallyHTF scenario, not worth the ramifications as cops and militia/peacekeepers will likely be all over stopping everyone.

I think the time festus is talking about here there will be a lot more to worry about than the penalty for having a particular gun.

Aquiring ammo might be easier and safer from supply transport than frontline troops. It would likely be more productive to raid a truck load than strip individual corpses of their remaining ammo stocks.

HERE AGAIN...

You need to think 'Weapons Systems' instead of 'Guns'...

An AR with different top ends that will accept different calibers would be a good thing.

The standard 5.56mm or .223 Cal. top end will fire either 5.56mm, .223 Rem or with a bolt/carrier adapter, you can fire .22 LR or .22 WMR rounds.

I have top ends that will let me shoot about anything 'Common'...
9mm, .45 ACP, .22 LR, .22 WMR, 5.56 NATO, .223 Rem, 7.62x39R,
One lower that I'm used to, one top end type that all work about the same so I don't have to train in on several different models.
Consolidates the SYSTEM I'm using, and I'm pretty sure I can find some kind of ammo somewhere...

My AR-10 will shoot about anything .30 cal.
Tops in .308 Win/7.62x51 NATO, .300 WSM are the two tops I have right now, but I will eventually try some others.

Lowers with Carbine stocks, or with longer, fixed stocks let me change very quickly from CQB to long range work without any fuss and takes all of about 15 seconds.

This way, I only have to keep spare parts for the same basic rifle, with the exception of a few different gas rings and ejectors, the springs, pins, screws, ect. all pretty much interchange,
And I specifically picked versions that accept common magazines, so for example, the 9MM top uses a mag well insert that accepts low cost and plentiful STEN mags.
Keeps my costs down while allowing me to pick up military grade mags for a song.

If you get an SKS, AK, ect, you get just that 7.62x39R/Warsaw without any chance of easily or cheaply changing calibers or configurations for specific jobs.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only 'Exception' to the above is my 'AR-47'...
Dedicated AR lower that accepts AK Mags and drums,
And a factory Colt 20" top that fires 7.62x39R...

This allows me to waste cheap 7.62x39mm Ammo, use cheap AK mags and drums,
Is as accurate as any Colt barrel is from the factory with 'Cheap' import ammo,
And in the event of an all out conflict, I'll be able to fire battle field 'Pickup' AK mags.

Now, I might be 'Picking Up' mags from an occupying force, or I might be 'Picking Up' mags from local half whits that didn't really prepare for a gunfight like they should have...

TRAINING IS EVERYTHING, and most of the guys that go on endlessly about this stuff and 'Collect' cheap stuff like SKS/AK-47s will be easy pickings...
What we in the military used to call 'Stationary Targets'...

The AR-47 is the ONLY dedicated common carry, semi-auto rifle I own...
(Besides the Ruger 10-22 and the .17 rimfires)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The other way of going at the ammo situation is by specializing in a .30 caliber arrangement.

.308 Win, .30-06, .30-30 Win, .300 Mag, ect. all use the same bullets, powders, primers.
With some extra reloading dies, you can accommodate about anything that walks in the door,
And reloading will give you a VERY good barter tool or source of income in the event something happens.

Most .30 cal. rifles will fire a common lead bullet if you slow it down a little,
And slower bullets are better than no bullets at all.
This gives you the capability to cast your own bullets, further extending your stockpile and capabilities.

Someone with ammo for sale/trade will be a VERY popular person,
If you have an ammo stash, you WILL sit on it, but if you can reload and have ammo FOR SALE/TRADE,
You WILL have a VERY important barter currency!

The only thing that will be as valuable will be booze, cigarettes, antibiotics and coffee.

I keep my powders and my extra cans of coffee on the same shelf in the cold storage locker!

-------------------------------------------------------

Now, for you bolt gun guys,
SAVAGE makes a VERY FAST caliber change!
Loosen the barrel nut, unscrew the barrel, put your new caliber barrel in with a round in the chamber, screw in for head space, tighten the barrel nut and you are off to the races!

You can switch from one 'Short Action' caliber to another in a VERY short period of time...
For instance, any caliber based on the .308 Win case and you can fire it safely and accurately with a 5 minute barrel change.

You will need to change bolts if you change case diameter/style (Rimmed to rimless, larger or smaller in diameter, ect)

I'm a Rem 700 action fan,
My bolt guns are Rem 700 actions in most cases, so I'm stuck when it comes to barrel/caliber changes in the field.
That's OK with me, if I'm shooting my Rem 700 action rifles, I'm shooting for ACCURACY, so I won't be burning through a bunch of ammo or need to change calibers.

Aquiring ammo might be easier and safer from supply transport than frontline troops. It would likely be more productive to raid a truck load than strip individual corpses of their remaining ammo stocks.
good point!!!:pleasantry:

HERE AGAIN...

You need to think 'Weapons Systems' instead of 'Guns'...

An AR with different top ends that will accept different calibers would be a good thing. Yeah because I'd rather hump a bunch of heavy, bulky parts than ammo for the gun I've got and I don't know maybe water, food and supplies.

The standard 5.56mm or .223 Cal. top end will fire either 5.56mm, .223 Rem or with a bolt/carrier adapter, you can fire .22 LR or .22 WMR rounds. Why would I want to do this?

I have top ends that will let me shoot about anything 'Common'...
9mm, .45 ACP, .22 LR, .22 WMR, 5.56 NATO, .223 Rem, 7.62x39R,
One lower that I'm used to, one top end type that all work about the same so I don't have to train in on several different models.I don't have to train on different systems or know hold overs if I only have one caliber that I've stocked up on. I'd rather carry one rifle and 10 30 round mags, than 3 uppers and a few rounds for each that I now have to dick with.
Consolidates the SYSTEM I'm using, and I'm pretty sure I can find some kind of ammo somewhere...

My AR-10 will shoot about anything .30 cal.
Tops in .308 Win/7.62x51 NATO, .300 WSM are the two tops I have right now, but I will eventually try some others.

Lowers with Carbine stocks, or with longer, fixed stocks let me change very quickly from CQB to long range work without any fuss and takes all of about 15 seconds. On your ar 15 platform you wanted your lower to be the same so you don't have to relearn a system. Here you are changing stocks and uppers. How is this keeping things the same?

This way, I only have to keep spare parts for the same basic rifle, with the exception of a few different gas rings and ejectors, the springs, pins, screws, ect. all pretty much interchange,
And I specifically picked versions that accept common magazines, so for example, the 9MM top uses a mag well insert that accepts low cost and plentiful STEN mags. If I'm going to shoot 9mm it's going to be out of my glock or sig or pick your pistol of choice.
Keeps my costs down while allowing me to pick up military grade mags for a song. It raises your costs because you now have multiple parts for different assemblies to track instead on one system, and multiple mags you wouldn't need.

If you get an SKS, AK, ect, you get just that 7.62x39R/Warsaw without any chance of easily or cheaply changing calibers or configurations for specific jobs.

The AK's of the world have been doing a great job for many a year no need to change anything.

The only 'Exception' to the above is my 'AR-47'...
Dedicated AR lower that accepts AK Mags and drums,
And a factory Colt 20" top that fires 7.62x39R...

This allows me to waste cheap 7.62x39mm Ammo, use cheap AK mags and drums,
Is as accurate as any Colt barrel is from the factory with 'Cheap' import ammo,
And in the event of an all out conflict, I'll be able to fire battle field 'Pickup' AK mags.

This a SHTF situation why would you waste ammo?

Now, I might be 'Picking Up' mags from an occupying force, or I might be 'Picking Up' mags from local half whits that didn't really prepare for a gunfight like they should have... You mean the guys with one gun and a bunch of ammo and mags for it?

TRAINING IS EVERYTHING, and most of the guys that go on endlessly about this stuff and 'Collect' cheap stuff like SKS/AK-47s will be easy pickings...
What we in the military used to call 'Stationary Targets'...

The AR-47 is the ONLY dedicated common carry, semi-auto rifle I own...
(Besides the Ruger 10-22 and the .17 rimfires)

The other way of going at the ammo situation is by specializing in a .30 caliber arrangement.

.308 Win, .30-06, .30-30 Win, .300 Mag, ect. all use the same bullets, powders, primers.
With some extra reloading dies, you can accommodate about anything that walks in the door,
And reloading will give you a VERY good barter tool or source of income in the event something happens.

Most .30 cal. rifles will fire a common lead bullet if you slow it down a little,
And slower bullets are better than no bullets at all.
This gives you the capability to cast your own bullets, further extending your stockpile and capabilities.
Just how much do you think you'll have to slow down your bullets, and still have an effective 30 cal rifle? I have no idea but I'd like to know that one. If casting your bullets is your thing then get a 45-70 a rifle designed to shoot lead.
Someone with ammo for sale/trade will be a VERY popular person,and dead as soon as wrong guy finds out.
If you have an ammo stash, you WILL sit on it, but if you can reload and have ammo FOR SALE/TRADE,
You WILL have a VERY important barter currency!

The only thing that will be as valuable will be booze, cigarettes, antibiotics and coffee.

I keep my powders and my extra cans of coffee on the same shelf in the cold storage locker! How does that cup of Winchester powder taste?

-------------------------------------------------------

Now, for you bolt gun guys,
SAVAGE makes a VERY FAST caliber change! Loosen the barrel nut, unscrew the barrel, put your new caliber barrel in with a round in the chamber, screw in for head space, tighten the barrel nut and you are off to the races!

You can switch from one 'Short Action' caliber to another in a VERY short period of time...
For instance, any caliber based on the .308 Win case and you can fire it safely and accurately with a 5 minute barrel change. What is accurate for you? I couldn't walk out and back setting up site in targets in 5 minutes let alone dial in a scope in that time.

You will need to change bolts if you change case diameter/style (Rimmed to rimless, larger or smaller in diameter, ect)

I'm a Rem 700 action fan,
My bolt guns are Rem 700 actions in most cases, so I'm stuck when it comes to barrel/caliber changes in the field.
That's OK with me, if I'm shooting my Rem 700 action rifles, I'm shooting for ACCURACY, so I won't be burning through a bunch of ammo or need to change calibers.

Most times you'd be better served standardizing on one set up and ammo for them. Pick a semi rifle and one caliber, a pistol, one caliber and a bolt gun in one caliber. If you have fall back positions and gun caches I could see not being able to do that because of cost. If you have a couple of hidy holes some place or a buddy's place you might only be able to afford a Mosin and a couple hundred rounds of ammo. There's nothing wrong with having a bunch of different guns and ammo for fun hell that's a great thing but this is a SHTF thread. While you're deciding which upper you should use finding the ammo and mags, the Zombies are humping your leg.

I don't know who gets credit for this but "Beware of the man with one gun for he is the master of it".

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back