American gun laws

alpha7

Hello!
I'm a boy from Germany! I have to write a test about the american gun laws! I searched for information about the gun laws but i found not much! Can someone help me here? A short summary would be nice! Websites like NRA are really hard to understand for me!
I hope my english is ok ;)

Thanks very much!

Starting from the beginning, the second ammendment to our constitution states "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

That being said, in America the gun laws vary from state-to-state. Try pasting the following address into your browser. and then look at several state laws as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_law_in_the_United_States

I hope this helps.

Hello!
I'm a boy from Germany! I have to write a test about the american gun laws! I searched for information about the gun laws but i found not much! Can someone help me here? A short summary would be nice! Websites like NRA are really hard to understand for me!

Thanks very much!

Your English is fine. But you need to be more specific. There are almost as many American gun laws as there are people in Europe. Which are you interested in? Here's a couple of pieces to help you.

In general, ALL Americans are have the right to own guns, as guranteed by the Constitution.

Over the years, Congress has created laws to limit the purchase or possession of certian types of guns (machine guns, handguns, military-style rifles).

Convicted felons (criminals) are not allowed to own guns, unless they have their rights restored.

Each of the 50 individual state has the power to place restrictions on owning firearms, more strict than the federal goverment.

Thank you very much for your answeres!

It would be fine if I get more informations of the following points:
1. In general, ALL Americans are have the right to own guns, as guranteed by the Constitution
2. purchase or possession of certian types of guns (machine guns, handguns, military-style rifles)
3. criminals are not allowed to own guns

Thank you for your help!

The 2nd Amendment states: A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed

After 216 years, the meaning of this amendment is still under debate. The debate largely focuses on the phrase "a well regulated milita". Many people believe that a "militia" is a loosely-formed group of citizens who provide their own local protection. In the 20th century, the argument was presented that the "militia" is actually the National Guard. The National Guard is an army in each state that takes care of state defense, as well as state emergency situations. They are also controlled by the Federal government and often get sent into battle along with Federal military troops. Most of the people commenting on this website do not believe that "a well-regulated" militia means the National guard.

Because the U.S. Supreme Court, in 1939, ruled that "a well-regulated militia" applied to military weapons, numerous laws have been made that limit the types of weapons that may be bought or owned. Sawed-off shotguns are illegal. Machine gun owners must pay a large fee and submit to a difficult criminal background check in order to own a machine gun. Military-style weapons are basically guns that LOOK LIKE, but do not FUNCTION LIKE, an Army machine gun. Laws that banned these weapons were largely based on people's fears, and have no legitimate reason for banning them. They function similarly to many other legal guns, but are "scary looking" to those people who don't know about guns.

In the U.S., one of the penalties for committing a felony (murder, rape, assault, etc.) is the taking away of certain Constitutional rights. Many felons (people who commit a felony) lose their right to vote in an election, own a firearm, or drive a car. They are also subject to searches that would be illegal for law-abiding citizens. Felons must go through a long and difficult process to restore their Constitutional rights.

Hello!

Thanks very much!

hi. I am actually in germany right now near frankfurt. if you still need help feel free to write me an email: [email protected] my wife is german so she could help with translating if need be.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back