Alternative Self Defense

LMulcahy

Hello,
I was jumped by two thugs right outside of a movie theater in Manhattan Friday night...of course, since NYS and NYC deny my second amendment right (especially since I am a resident of CT), I was unable to defend myself sufficiently to avoid any injury. I did make it out fairly unharmed, just some minor injuries...my pride being what was hurt the most.

Anyway...to my question. What legal alternatives do I have as a non-resident that works in the city to prevent this from happening to me again?
Thanks

Drive away and never come back? Seriously, sorry you had that experience and I would also say mace.

Be carefull with the wasp spray. If you read the label it states that any use other than which it is intended is illegal

Be carefull with the wasp spray. If you read the label it states that any use other than which it is intended is illegal

Last I checked, insecticide companies did not write legislation! :no: Probably written by a lawyer to cover their butts against a lawsuit.

But in all seriousness - while wasp and hornet spray is a good self-defense alternative at home, I'm not sure of the legality of hauling around a can of it for just that same purpose. A prosecutor may put it in the same category as things like a baseball bat, tire iron, length of chain, ball peen hammer, meat cleaver, chef knife, hatchet, machete, and the like. None of these things are illegal to buy or own, but might be illegal to carry for self-defense by New York standards. Or if not outright illegal, the prosecutor might use your carrying of them to prove intent to harm or kill.

I think your best option for answering this question would be to spend the money on an hour or so of an attorney's time, one who is licensed in NY and who works in NYC. And make sure he's one you can actually call later if you find yourself in a situation.

Never spend another dime in any city that does not allow you to protect yourself, if you just happen to be carrying some wasp or hornet spray I think in a self defense situation I would use it, leave and never come back.

Alternative Self defense

Im a big proponent of empty hand self defense skills regardless of whether or not you carry a gun. Its a good supplement and can help you defend yourself long enough to draw if you have one, or run if you don't. Plenty of options out there:

Traditional/ non traditional martial arts- kickboxing, jujitsu, boxing, mma

Defensive tactics courses taught by various security/ law enforcement instructors

Impact weapons/ keychains- BramFrank's Lapu Lapu Corto is one of my fav's. Kubaton, yawara, palm stick, whatever. (Advantage being most of these are legal almost anywhere. Wooden palm sticks are effective abmnd can be brought on planes for example.)

Edged weapon training- Spyderco endura with wave feature is a good one. Sharp, comes out quick with practice, and it's a plain folder which makes it legal. Delica is the smaller version.

Above all, avoidance and awareness are always key alternatives. If you ever have to use anything listed above, you've already blown your self defense. Sorry for your trouble.

Sorry to hear. Very unfortunate. You don't really have many options. Perhaps a simple box-cutter.

one reason i carry a knife and a high power flashlight the clips on my pocket. its a streamlight PT2L, u can get one for about $40 bucks, well worth it and u can use it to ur advantage.

one reason i carry a knife and a high power flashlight the clips on my pocket. its a streamlight PT2L, u can get one for about $40 bucks, well worth it and u can use it to ur advantage.

Sounds like a good plan for the OP...

Chap. 1 NYC Public Safety 10-133 (Historical Note: Formerly 436-5.1)

10-133 Possession of knives or instruments.

B. It shall be unlawful for any person to carry on his or her person or have in such person's possession, in any public place, street or park any knife which has a blade length of four inches or more.

C. It shall be unlawful for any person in a public place, street or park to wear outside of his or her clothing or carry in open view any knife with an exposed or unexposed blade unless such person is actually using suck knife for a lawful purpose as set forth in subdivision d of this section.

In summary... four inch blade kept in your pocket is OK.

If they have a gun and you don't, cooperate. If they are unarmed, respond with a pen, pencil, keys, fingernails, absolutely any exposed vulnerable spot, especially eyes, groin, hip flexor, a sideways stomp to the knee, a knee to the nose. In other words, fight like a freakin' girl. Kick, scratch, bite, and strike hard the first time you see something that will bend, break, or otherwise succumb to a fist or foot.

Sorry to hear about that. I've been learning Krav Maga for the last 2 and a half months and I really like it. It's an Israeli martial art focused exclusively on Self Defense (not Katas or tournaments). A lot of LEO departments and Militaries are studying it too since it's effective and designed to be learned fairly quickly. It's a great tool to have in addition to a knife, firearm, and less lethal option.

From my perspective - if I can carry a Ruger LCP I will. I also have a Benchmade Mini-Griptillian. Great EDC blade. Not the best tactical knife but effective and the 2.9 in blade is pretty much allowed anywhere since it's under 3in and not auto or spring assisted (you're out of luck in England since it does lock). I figure this knife can always be with me wherever I go even if the Ruger is forbidden. I also have a Kimber Guardian Angel pepper spray - pyrotechnic 2 shot spray - great when wind would otherwise blow pepper spray back on you - but it's only two shots and it might not be legal in NY - better check that.

I also carry a tactical pen as my EDC pen - not the best SD tool but you don't want to be at the receiving end of that "kubaton" style device, but that will help if all "dangerous things" are banned.

Sorry to hear about that. I've been learning Krav Maga for the last 2 and a half months and I really like it. It's an Israeli martial art focused exclusively on Self Defense (not Katas or tournaments). A lot of LEO departments and Militaries are studying it too since it's effective and designed to be learned fairly quickly. It's a great tool to have in addition to a knife, firearm, and less lethal option.

From my perspective - if I can carry a Ruger LCP I will. I also have a Benchmade Mini-Griptillian. Great EDC blade. Not the best tactical knife but effective and the 2.9 in blade is pretty much allowed anywhere since it's under 3in and not auto or spring assisted (you're out of luck in England since it does lock). I figure this knife can always be with me wherever I go even if the Ruger is forbidden. I also have a Kimber Guardian Angel pepper spray - pyrotechnic 2 shot spray - great when wind would otherwise blow pepper spray back on you - but it's only two shots and it might not be legal in NY - better check that.

I also carry a tactical pen as my EDC pen - not the best SD tool but you don't want to be at the receiving end of that "kubaton" style device, but that will help if all "dangerous things" are banned.

Another option to consider is carrying a "tactical" flashlight instead of a regular flashlight. It's not a weapon so you should always be able to carry it with you but it will hurt a lot if you hit someone with the bezel. I use the Fenix TK 15

Get yourself into a good (combat oriented) martial art and learn to defend yourself. Guns are good but they're not for every situation. Canes are excellent but you have to know how to use them. Otherwise they are too easily taken from you. A knife is good if you know how to use it but if carried closed in a pocket takes too long to deploy. Bug spray is just begging for a lawsuit, & may not be as effective as pepper foam, which also sprays in a stream. Good training will teach you the best ways to quickly disable attackers. Even with a knife or gun, you may need to use empty hands to gain a few seconds to access your own weapon or to retain your weapon. Once you have the training you will be in a better position to decide what tools suit your needs.

By the way, a closed knife makes an excellent impact weapon, and a cupped hand slapped over someones ears is extremely painful and disorienting.

Watch this video. Executive Course - YouTube
I had the privilege of taking an advanced handgun class taught by James Williams where he also touch on some of what he talked about in the video.
He's the real deal with real self defense techniques.
Learning something like this may have made the difference in the outcome.

Thank you all for you responses!

Drive away and never come back? Seriously, sorry you had that experience and I would also say mace.
Never spend another dime in any city that does not allow you to protect yourself.
Unfortunately I currently work in the city, this will fortunately be changing by the end of the year!

Im a big proponent of empty hand self defense skills
Sorry to hear about that. I've been learning Krav Maga for the last 2 and a half months and I really like it.
I agree, and I had already been looking into taking classes, I've just had a hard time finding a class that works with my hectic work schedule, and it doesn't help that I moved here in Jan and will be moving again before the end of the year. But I most definitively (more so now of course) want to get this type of training.

I had the privilege of taking an advanced handgun class taught by James Williams ....Learning something like this may have made the difference in the outcome.
I will definitely check this video out this week.

Thanks again everyone!

Sue the City Of New York. You'll probably loose but it'll still send a minor message. Or like someone said, leave the city and never come back. Who's to say next time you'll be a white outlining on the sidewalk. I love the food n view of nyc but I love my safety and life more so I never go there unless I'm with 6+ ppl.

Another vote in favor of a good cane. From NYC to airports, no one questions your right to have it with you. And some make formidable defenive tools.

Last edited:
pardon my french but **** the law

I don't care what the law says... If there's a chance that my life is in danger I'm going to do whatever I can to protect my own self, my friends, family, and those who cannot defend themselves... Take it as you will...

Your brain is your most important weapon... Being aware of your surroundings and avoiding conflict is step one...

Improvised weapons and fighting fair... Remember your not in a martial arts ring with a referee, your in a real life situation where you are being attacked with a possibility of your life coming to an end... Kicking the groin, finger the eyes, striking the throat, throwing sand dirt rocks, using a pool stick... Anything around you and anything you can do is fair game...

When your somewhere and unarmed look around you and ask yourself if your under attack right now, what weapons are around you that you can use and what's the quickest way out to your exit...

Non handgun weapon suggestions: pepper spray, kabar tdi, lanyard with keys on the end for swinging, car key between your fingers striking eyes rib cage throat, ladies high heels being rammed into the topnof a foot hurts, belt with a big buckle, flashlights with impact heads

It don't matter whether you have a gun, knife impact improvise weapon or your unarmed, you need to train and know how to use it... Muscular tendon and arterial strikes are idea... Carotid artery windpipe ear drum, finger the eyes, ridge under the noise, knife slashes to the tricep, inner elbow, back of the knee can make your attackers limbs immobile...

You what you have, no what's around you, know what you can improvise, and know how to use it

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back