Alternating EDC

JohnLM

I have several guns that I alternate for conceal carry. The main reason I do this is to cut down or prevent "Holster Wear". Do any of you guys do this? Or is it necessary?

I alternate between 3. Unfortunately the job does not allow me to dress around the gun/holster so my clothing for the day's activities dictate whether the gun I carry is medium, small or very small. Lucky are those that can dress around a larger gun.

Skip the "you can hide any gun with "xyz" (Crossbreed most commonly mentioned there) holster and blah, blah, blah" stuff. I suppose if I had it concealed so deeply it'd be useless unless I had a couple of extra seconds to fish the gun out before it's too late that'd be one thing...

Funny that you mention this

I was just thinkin about starting this forum today. When it comes to which one at one time, its always a pretty easy decision, whatevers the most comfortable. Whether it be the slightly heavier .357 2inch with the more comfortable holster or the Xdm it also depends on where i might be going during the day.

My EDC is a Sig 1911 in a Crossbreed IWB holster. Given that I am occasionally supposed to dress up and look frilly and feminine, I also have a S&W 38 Special that lives in a holster purse, and a Sig P238 that can ride in either Crossbreed minituck or a thigh holster.

It depends on where I'm going. 90% of my Arizona dress is T-shirt & shorts. Both of my 1911's share the same Uncle Mike's hide ride belt holster which is comfortable and conceals easily, except when I have to sit for long periods of time. So, when I dine out I carry my snubby revolver in a Null Vam driving holster that is also comfortable and conceals easily anywhere on my belt, under any T-shirt, sitting, walking, or standing.

My gun is a tool, tools get used, used tools have wear on them.

Need I say more?

I bought the gun to carry and I understand it will get some wear. The only time I change is if clothing options that day happens to require.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk

I still don't have my CHL, still putting together some finances towards it, but I have done quite a bit of research. Holster wear and gun wear aren't the reasons behind differing EDC's. Seasonal weather and clothing options and quite frankly, just how you feel about the day are the different reasons behind having more than one EDC option. Are you going to the beach where clothing is minimal? Take the Kahr PM9/CM or CW9/XD9SC/LC9/insert small CCW type weapon here. Is it going to be a shorts and t-shirt type of day? Same as above or maybe a little bit larger but still a compact handgun. How about heavy winter weather? Maybe a larger full size weapon. Of course, I see other posters all the time saying they they wear OWB when the weather is heavy Winter. I always wonder, don't they have to take off those parkas at some point? How does that leave their OWB then? Pouching way out on one side is how I see it. So, I keep thinking, for the weather we have here in the DFW area, IWB is the way I think I'm gonna go.

In any case, it's kind of up to you. If you have the funds to give yourself options, then by all means set yourself to cover the different possibilities. But don't do it because of holster wear or gun wear. Kydex holsters do loosen up over time I have read. Just put your handgun back in it and heat it up with a blowdryer. It'll go back into place.

My .02 worth.

May you have good, safe shootings.

JohnLM:270833 said:
I have several guns that I alternate for conceal carry. The main reason I do this is to cut down or prevent "Holster Wear". Do any of you guys do this? Or is it necessary?

I don't because my edc is a .45 and if I wear the be-jesus out of a holster, I'll buy another. I don't like to relinquish my .45 for one of my smaller calibers. I carry everyday, and my holsters are in great shape. Holster quality helps...

I don't because my edc is a .45 and if I wear the be-jesus out of a holster, I'll buy another. I don't like to relinquish my .45 for one of my smaller calibers. I carry everyday, and my holsters are in great shape. Holster quality helps...

He's talking about holster wear on the gun

Treo:272021 said:

He's talking about holster wear on the gun

Oh. That's what I get for reading off my phone...but anywho same reasoning applies for the gun. Its just gonna happen.

I would not be too worried about holster wear. I would try to use the same gun as much as possible. If I used more than one gun I would want them to have the same controls if possible. I would also try to carry in the same place. Reaching for a gun in a high stress situation only to remember you are carrying in a different spot could be problematic. Drawing the gun and getting confused as to the operation of the safety could mean the difference between walking away from the fight and being carried away.

What ever you carry practice with it. There are people out there that are so good they can carry anything. I don't want to find out that I am not one of them so I don't put myself in a position to be tested.

I rotate my EDC by my mood. It's either a black 1911, or a stainless steel 1911. :D

Occasionally I'll pocket carry a PSP-25 in addition to a 1911. I also carry at least two knives on me, and one is always a balisong/butterfly knife. A small, 1 AA LED light rounds out my toolkit.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back