AL shooting.. multiple firearms used.

Glockster20

Clinging to God and guns
- Law enforcement officials described in detail Wednesday how a gunman shot more than a dozen people Tuesday afternoon before killing himself, ending the worst mass killing by a single gunman in Alabama history.

In a news conference from Geneva Wednesday morning, the Alabama Department of Public Safety and other law enforcement authorities identified the shooter as Michael Kenneth McClendon, 28, of Coffee County, and described how the tragic afternoon unfolded:

Kinston, approximately 3:30pm
-- McClendon shoots and kills his mother, Lisa McLendon, 52, puts her on an L-shaped couch, piled stuff on top of her and set her afire.
-- McClendon also shot four dogs at the house

Samson, approximately 3:45 - 4:00 pm
-- McClendon drove a dozen miles to Samson, shoots and kills 5 people on front porch of relative's house:
>> Corrine Myers (18-month-old daughter of Geneva County Sheriff's Deputy Josh Myers)
>> Andrea Myers (wife of deputy Myers)
>> James White, 55, McClendon's uncle
>> Tracy Wise, 34, McClendon's cousin
>> Dean Wise, 15, Tracy White's son and McClendon's second cousin
-- McClendon also shot and wounded Myer's 4-month-old baby girl, Ella Myers.
-- Ella Myers in stable condition at Sacred Heart Hospital in Pensacola, Fla., to undergo surgery Wednesday
-- McClendon then shot his grandmother, Virginia White, 74, standing in doorway of next door home
-- McClendon then drove around Samson, shooting out his car window, shooting more people at random:
>> James Starling, 24 (pedestrian), killed
>> Sonja Smith, 43, killed
>> Jeffrey Nelson, 50, wounded
>> Greg McCullom, 49, wounded
>> Bruce Malloy, 51, killed
-- McClendon also fired rounds into several area businesses

4:01pm
-- State trooper notifies Dothan trooper post that he had received word of the shooting and the suspect was en route to Geneva

4:06pm
-- State trooper encounters McClendon, McClendon fires seven rounds into vehicle, broken glass injures trooper

Geneva, approximately 4:10pm
-- Geneva Police encounter McClendon, attempt to stop him, McClendon fires multiple rounds into several police cars, wounds police chief with bullet in shoulder, injures another officer with broken glass

Reliable Products, approximately 4:17pm
-- McClendon stops at plant, exchanged gunfire with Geneva County Sheriff's Deputy and State Conservation Officer
-- McClendon goes inside the plant's office, kills himself

Authorities said McClendon fired more than 200 rounds during the assault, using two assault rifles, a shotgun and a handgun.

The Alabama Department of Public Safety said McClendon most recently worked at Kelley Foods of Alabama, which said in a statement Wednesday morning that McClendon had recently quit his job at the sausage plant.

Kelley Foods said in the statement that McLendon voluntarily left the position he had held for nearly two years last Wednesday. Kelley's plant is located in Elba, about 25 miles north of where most of the killings took place in Samson.

Kelley didn't specify what McLendon's job was, but said he was a "reliable team leader" who was well liked.

The Alabama Department of Public Safety also said in 2003, McClendon was briefly a police officer, but was let go after failing to pass the state exam.

Authorities said McClendon had no criminal record.

Source: Samson gunman terror detailed

Last edited by a moderator:
Gawd Almighty! How can someone shoot so many people before he's stopped? The LEOs KNEW he was coming, yet several of them were shot and wounded.

And they tell us WE are dangerous for wanting to carry concealed weapons. I am surprised that some citizens didn't at least attempt to take this guy out. If you are old enough to remember the Texas Tower shootings, there were probably a dozen armed citizens firing high-powered rifles at Whitman, along with the cops.

Why do I carry? This is why!

Gawd Almighty! How can someone shoot so many people before he's stopped? The LEOs KNEW he was coming, yet several of them were shot and wounded.

And they tell us WE are dangerous for wanting to carry concealed weapons. I am surprised that some citizens didn't at least attempt to take this guy out. If you are old enough to remember the Texas Tower shootings, there were probably a dozen armed citizens firing high-powered rifles at Whitman, along with the cops.

Why do I carry? This is why!

Truely amazing that no body helped... +1 on This is WHY!

There's a detail missing. The subject's girlfriend who's 28 was also on the couch with his deceased mother in several other articles I've read on the incident.

I reckon the anti-gunners will get rabid about these shootings. Now they are talking on the TV about a kid in Germany killing a bunch of school kids. Geeze......:angry:

Why no one stopped him...

Truely amazing that no body helped... +1 on This is WHY!

My guess as to why no one stopped him is because like my 'great state' of Maryland, Alabama is a 'May Issue' State when it comes to CCW permits. So I'm assuming there are not that many people that are able to carry in Alabama. Anyone else have insight or statistics on this? Am I making a good assumption?

This Tragedy has had me think about helping and what would I do...
This unfolded in less than an hour and over 20'ish miles? Everything had to happen so fast and then it was gone. I am sure that most of those people were not used to violence in their community and were taking cover. We here, have had the luxury of some training, did anybody there other than the LE community have the same? Our prayers are with them tonight.

There is an ongoing investigation and there is a lot more info unfolding. He had a "hit" list too.... some of his victims were random though.

My guess as to why no one stopped him is because like my 'great state' of Maryland, Alabama is a 'May Issue' State when it comes to CCW permits. So I'm assuming there are not that many people that are able to carry in Alabama. Anyone else have insight or statistics on this? Am I making a good assumption?
While AL is may issue, the AL county sheriffs typically do issue but they can put any restrictions they want on your permit. There's also no statutory training requirement to get an AL permit. The issuing sheriff can also yank your permit for any reason.

What I suspect happened is everyone was shell shocked and didn't react because they had the "it cannot happen here" mentality. I've lived Las Vegas area since Sept 1992 and San Diego prior to that I instinctively go for a firearm when I hear gunfire or I sense something isn't right in my home.

If I hear multiple shots, I either go for one of my rifles or shotguns in addition to a handgun and lock 'n load.

First of all, my thoughts go out to all the families involved in this terrible tragedy. Secondly, I am a little surprised that this idiot got as far as he did without someone taking him out but based on how things unfolded this guy was on the move with purpose and no hesitation.

Again, just reaffirms why I just went through my CWP course, hope to get it sooner rather then later.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back