Ak74

crazycathed

I just acquired an AK74 and it seems to not extract every so often. is this normal? I have been shooting .223 from it. was going to try 5.56X45 and see if it makes a difference. the barrel is chrome lined so cleaning is easy and stays squeaky. shot 60 rounds and jammed 4 times. maybe normal? this is my first "military" rifle so I'm new to the hiccups that may accompany them.

????

Are you sure it is an AK74? They are chambered in 5.45X39, not .223 or 5.56. AK-74 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
( I have a Saiga "AK" chambered in .223.)
Confirm you are using the correct ammo. (I don't think .223 will even fit in a 5.45x39 chamber.)

What type of extraction failure are you having. Stovepipe? Stuck cartridge?. Double feed?

I just acquired an AK74 and it seems to not extract every so often. is this normal? I have been shooting .223 from it. was going to try 5.56X45 and see if it makes a difference. the barrel is chrome lined so cleaning is easy and stays squeaky. shot 60 rounds and jammed 4 times. maybe normal? this is my first "military" rifle so I'm new to the hiccups that may accompany them.
I don't know of any "AK74" rifles chambered for the NATO 5.56 (or .223) round. I have a WASR2 and a Tantal, neither is actually an 'AK74' and both are chambered for the 5.45 round; they both work very well. There are AK-like rifles chambered for .223; Saiga rifles are chambered for both 5.45 and 5.56, but they don't advertise them as 'AK74' rifles.

Could you identify just which rifle you have and who the manufacturer is?
Are you sure it is an AK74? They are chambered in 5.45X39, not .223 or 5.56. AK-74 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
( I have a Saiga "AK" chambered in .223.)
Confirm you are using the correct ammo. (I don't think .223 will even fit in a 5.45x39 chamber.)

What type of extraction failure are you having. Stovepipe? Stuck cartridge?. Double feed?

Jes is correct. The bolt of a 5.45 chambered rifle won't close as 5.56 is too long for the chamber, and the bullet/cartridge neck is too thick to fit in the chamber throat. A 5.56 rifle won't close on 5.45 ammo because the diameter at the base is too large to enter the chamber.

I was told it's a romanian wasr 3. it has 5.56X45 etched on the side next to wasr3. the shell is failing topull from the barrel after firing and the next bullet seats behind it, getting telescoped into the casing.

Stuck case

You have a stuck case. It could be a dirty chamber. If not it has to be an issue with your extractor.

Does the extractor pull a chunk out of the rim of the stuck case? Do you need to drive the case out with a cleaning rod or can you pull it out with your fingers?

Are you shooting steel case ammo, then having brass cases stick? Steel cases don't expand like brass and allow more carbon to build up in the chamber area. Then when you shoot soft brass it expands into the carbon fouling and sticks. Some brass is softer and sticks worse than others.

shooting remington 55 grain brass. I can pull it out when it happens. it'll usually fall out when I shake the round behind it out.

Extractor issue

If the extractor is not pulling a chunk out of the rim of the stuck brass or bending it then you have an issue with your extractor. Make sure it is clean underneath and is not damaged. Check for proper spring pressure. It should have a lot.
Have you disassembled the bolt?

The AK is designed for the extractor to jump the rim of each round so they are usually very robust. Failure would be most likely caused by fouling.

If the extractor is clean and functioning, then the only other explaination would be for the gun to be firing out of battery (bolt not completely closed) or a slamfire. Slamfire is usually associated with the SKS but it could happen if your firing pin channel is dirty and causing the pin to stick.

Soak your bolt in mineral spirits and take a pick to the underside of the extractor.

AK-47.net: AK Troubleshooting

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back