Advice

usvet

I am thinking of a walter ppk .380 ACP for CC. Now I know there are many that do not like the .380 for not alot of stopping power and I get the do it once and it is over thing. I like the size and concealability. Any thoughts just to get a conversation going?

As you stated, the stopping power is a downer, but it isn't the only factor. Compare the price and the availability of .380 vs. 9mm. I have actually considered a .380, even given the stopping power. In any conversation pertaining to stopping power, you will hear the old saying "a well placed shot with a .22 is better than a miss with a .45".

For me, the price of .380 (often 50% higher than 9mm) as well as the scarce availability of it, are the two major factors. The difference in stopping power just compounds that. As for size/ concealability... you can find some pretty small 9mms. Not quite as small as as a PPK or LCP, but small enough for pocket carry.

If cost of ammo is no factor and you really need the extra small size of a .380, then I'd say go for it. Just be sure that the cost of ammo isn't going to dissuade you from practicing often with that firearm.

I used to carry my Walther all the time but now I most often carry a S&W model 37 airwieght. My Walther was(is) a very good shooter but the Smith is lighter and shoots almost as good. I say go with the Walther and you should be very happy.

There's nothing wrong in carrying a 380. I have several and I usually pocket carry one as a BUG. As long as you use good carry ammo it will do the job. Also a 380 is great for Summer time carry!

Here are some links that I stole from another site that I'm on.

OG & Friend's Ballistic Test Results
The Kel-Tec Range Articles

2d Gen P-3AT Analysis Part 2 (includes wet pack test)
The Kel-Tec Range :: View topic - 2d Gen P3AT Analysis Part 2 (final) fa65b7bfa384953776a49d0df

The Last Crusade - .380 Wet Pack Test
The Kel-Tec Range :: View topic - The Last Crusade

mouseguns.com - Ammunition and Ballistics
Ammunition and Ballistics at mouseguns.com
Scroll down to the .380 section.

Ballistic gelatin testing results : .32NAA 90 grain Sierra JHC
Ballistic gelatin testing results : .32NAA 90 grain Sierra JHC - THR

DPX/Gold Dot Raccoon test.
Link Removed

Head-to-head test: DPX vs. Ranger-T
Link Removed

MONSTER WET NEWS MULTI-GUN-TEST
Link Removed

P3AT CHEAP JHP WETPACK TEST
Link Removed

Smilies and Wet Newspaper Test
Link Removed

Wet Newspaper Test: Corbon DPX .380 HP
Link Removed

Wet Newspaper Test: Santa Barbara 87g.
Link Removed

Wetpack Test: DPX, GD, GS, Ranger-T, etc.
Link Removed

WINTER/SUMMER WETPACK TEST DONE
Link Removed

Fly&Og Revisit DPX with GS, GD, and more!!
The Kel-Tec Range :: View topic - Fly&Og Revisit DPX with GS, GD, and more!! asc&start=0

More Smiley Tests with a 1G P3AT
Link Removed p;postorder=asc&highlight=

THE FLY AND OG .380 DPX WETPACK TEST WITH 4 PISTOLS!!
The Kel-Tec Range :: View topic - THE FLY AND OG .380 DPX WETPACK TEST WITH 4 PISTOLS!! p;postorder=asc&highlight=

Cor-Bon .380 DPX "Wet Pack" test with LWS380
The L.W. Seecamp Company Forum - Cor Bon .380 DPX "Wet Pack" test with LWS380 *

.380 ammo testing--DPX / GOLDEN SABRE / GOLD DOT
The L.W. Seecamp Company Forum - .380 ammo testing-DPX-GOLDEN SABRE-GOLD DOT

Cartridge Performance: .380 ACP
Link Removed

Selecting a .380 Cartridge
Link Removed

Bersa Thunder .380 with Cor-Bon 80-gr. DPX Ammunition
Bersa Thunder

Brassfetcher .380 ACP Tests
Link Removed

Cor-Bon .380 70 gr PowRBall
StoppingPower.net Forums - Corbon .380 70 gr PowRBall

Cor-Bon .380 80 gr DPX
StoppingPower.net Forums - Corbon .380 80 gr DPX

.380 ACP at StevesPages
terminal 380 acp

Preliminary .380 wet pack report for your amusement
The Kel-Tec Range ::

Gel test today!
Link Removed

.380 Ammunition & Barrel Lengths at recguns.com
Link Removed

UMC JHP/ AE FMJ ACCURACY SHOOT OFF
Link Removed

.380ACP Federal Hydrashok in gelatin
Ballistic gelatin testing results : .380ACP Federal Hydrashok - TheFiringLine Forums

Corbon DPX .380 into newsprint
Link Removed

Cor-Bon DPX .380 in Ham
Link Removed
See reply #4

Ballistics data - 7 hollow point velocities
Link Removed

9mm Versus .380 ACP For Self-Defense
9mm Versus .380 ACP For Self-Defense

Test Results: The effect of moisture on .380 ammo
Link Removed

Dan334’s .380 ACP and 9 mm Para DPX water jug test
Link Removed
See reply #9

.380 ACP Hornady 90gr XTP JHP (Beretta 85)
.380 ACP Hornady 90gr XTP JHP (Beretta 85)

.380 ACP Winchester 95gr Supreme SXT JHP (Beretta 85)
.380 ACP Winchester 95gr Supreme SXT JHP (Beretta 85)

Double-Tap .380acp GDHP wetpack test
Link Removed

Sweet! Double Tap .380!
Link Removed ay&thread=1184702603

.380 Gelatin Tests by John Farnam and Cor-Bon’s Mike Shovel
Link Removed

Wetpack test: Fiocchi XTP JHP, etc. (DT_Willy)
Link Removed

Gello tests we did here
StoppingPower.net Forums - Gello tests we did here.

Why DoubleTap looks good
Link Removed

Wetpack Test: Fiocchi .380acp XTP HP, etc.
Link Removed n=display&thread=6402

Double-Tap .380acp GDHP wetpack test
Link Removed n=display&thread=6384

Comprehensive .380acp test with P232
Link Removed n=display&thread=6406

The PPK used to be a great gun when made by Walther in Germany but I understand they have had some real problems with the ones made here under partnership with Smith and Wesson.

I have a PPK/S. Have for years, of the "Interarms" persuasion, and I love it. I wouldn't be afraid to count on it in a serious social encounter, provided I couldn't first turn to The Beast and launch some '45's. I would, however, spend the time at the range to determine just what ammo your .380 likes best. Mine seems to shoot most accurately with Winchester STHP's, although I wouldn't hesitate to shoot anything out of it at dancing distance, but your mileage may vary.

Thanks everyone for the advise, I like the summer time carry idea! Thanks for the test info Red hat, interesting. Thinking of going to a few local shops after the holiday weekend.

Happy Birthday America.

Also consider ammo availability.

At least around here, and many other parts of the county from what I've seen, .380 is pretty hard to come by. Especially in enough quantity to have some on hand, be able to go to the range at least a time or two a month, as well as enough to become familiar with the characteristics of a new gun.

Thanks everyone for the advise, I like the summer time carry idea! Thanks for the test info Red hat, interesting. Thinking of going to a few local shops after the holiday weekend.

Happy Birthday America.

My Sig P230 was my off-duty carry gun during the summers back when I was LEO. Now, my summer carry is a Kel-Tec and I love it, though I do very little target shooting with it due to ammo availability.

Good luck, and let us know what you get!:biggrin:

I am 5' 7" and I carry a Glock 21 45 ACP in a CrossBreed Super Tuck. It is concealed and comfortable. When I am jogging or riding my bike I carry it in a KA-BAR TDI Fanny Pack. I don't understand all of the commotion about carrying a small gun. What am I missing?

Red Hat posted some great tests of the 380 ACP and the Kel-Tec P3AT but I think that he left out the most impressive which is that conducted with Buffalo Bore (BB) ammo. Here it is:

Link Removed

The little P3AT is at least the equal of a 38 special snubbie loaded with +P ammo. I always keep my P3AT loaded with 7 rounds of BB with the 95 gr Speer Gold Dots. The Walther PPK should perform slightly better due to its longer barrel. Anyway, the 380 is a credible defensive weapon when loaded with the right ammo. Also, it's been highly underrated for a long time.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back