A new digital format and changes in the submission process are but a few of the changes in the new SC Concealed Weapons Permit application process.
According to a letter sent to SLED Certified Instructors, the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division is requesting all new CWP applications to be filled out online, printed then taken to your CWP training course to be finished by your instructor.
In addition to the changes in the application format, applicants no longer need to submit a photograph or criminal record details.
Previously, the photographs were used to confirm applicant identity by comparing them to the images on file with DMV. Providing copies of your driving record and criminal arrest information are no longer needed, as these details show up in the criminal background check performed by SLED.
While the old applications will be accepted through June 30, if you are one of my past students who has not yet submitted your application, feel free to fill out the new application online (Here), print it out and give me a call. I will provide you with the new Concealed Weapons Permit Training Certificate that is now required as well as fill in my Instructor ID number and date of training on your new application.
More from SLED:
• New applications must be submitted to:
SLED Data Center
P.O. Box 21398
Columbia, SC 29221
• Money orders, certified checks and cashier’s checks are accepted forms of payment to be included with the application. Personal checks and cash will not be accepted.
• Please do not call to check on the status of your application unless the 90 day period from the time SLED received your application has passed. (I recommend mailing your application with a return receipt so you know when it was received.)
• Renewal applicants should use the online renewal process. Submit renewals 90 to 120 days before your permit expires.
• Written appeals for denial letters should be forwarded to:
Neal Dolan, Deputy Director
C/O SLED Regulatory Services
P.O. Box 21398
Columbia, SC 29221-1398
Make sure to include documentation supporting your appeal such as an expungement order, court disposition, incident report, etc.
• When driving a vehicle in South Carolina, a handgun may be legally transported in the locked or unlocked glove compartment, console or trunk, (or on your person if you are carrying pursuant to a CWP). The handgun may be loaded or unloaded.
•There are currently more than 450 Certified CWP instructors in S.C.
•From the inception of the CWP program, SLED has received more than 109,000 applications and there are currently more than 78,000 active permits.
•Since January 1, 2009, SLED has seen a 100-percent increase in applications submitted over last year, which they are attempting to manage with a 30-percent reduction in budget and staff.
Friday, April 10, 2009
Important Changes in SC CWP Application Process
North Augusta, S.C.
E-mail: Click Here
© 2009 ForceTech, LLC. All Rights Reserved