Advice on "pushing"

It's what I call "Pre Primer Ignition"............................AKA......Jerking the trigger. :tongue:

Hey guys,

I've done some range work recently and loaded up some snap caps. WOW! I was flinching pretty bad. Any tips/suggestions on correcting this other than just focusing on trigger pull?
1) Check your stance. Make sure you are not standing completely upright or leaning slightly away from the firearm at the time of discharge. Rather bend knees slightly and lean into the firearm similar to a boxing position. 2) Depending on your make and model of firearm, during dry fire, see if you can place a coin flat on the barrel right behind the front sight----I prefer a dime or penny. Then tenderly press the trigger with the goal of the coin remaining in place at the end of your follow-through. I think that the three primary things you need to explore are: trigger pull, stance, and grip (probably in that order).

Focus on the target

Get a .22

Have a friend load your magazine with an occasional dummy or use the revolver.

Focus on the target and dry fire, shoot the .22 a lot.

Here's one tip that I got that I don't believe has been mentioned, yet: Stay on the front sight after the shot has been fired. If you shoot once, you have two sight pictures (before and after the shot). If you're shooting a controlled pair, then you would have three sight pictures. This has really helped my marksmanship in addition, of course, to squeeeeeezing the trigger.

Flinching or anticipation is an involuntary respond of your brain and projecting is to the muscle of upper extremities. To remove it you have to train your brain not to respond, to the recoil or the sound of explosion of a gun. To this and to reach like a high master shooter. Use 22 LR caliber handgun like Ruger Mark III, Smith & Wesson Model 41, High Standard made in Hamden). Start with bench rest shooting, concentrate on trigger pull, left hand strength is 70%, right hand strength is 30%. The trigger finger is like a lady ,squeeze the trigger slowly using the tip of your finger, until it bangs (surprised shot) hold the trigger for 1-2 seconds (follow through) because the bullet is still travelling on the barrel of the gun, then release it slowly. Keep on doing this until you assume a tight group at 15 or 25 yds. Then copy this tight grouping by shooting offhand. Then if you able to do this try a higher caliber handgun copy the same tight group that your brain and muscle have learned.
By the way, concentrate on the front, front , front sight not rear sight not the target, just the front sight, conciously always think that the right thumb is not existing (right handed) while holding the gun. Long term solution.

Short term: use the high caliber handgun right away, bench rest, then offhand shooting.

Happy shooting

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BFerguson
Back