Adjustable stock

OldOwl

Adjustable stocks on rifles and shotguns in MA. Legal? Just when I think I finally figured out all the laws I need to know in this bass ackwards state.

My buddy is buying a new AR and he was told the adjustable stock will have to be "pinned in one position permanently."

That makes about as much sense to me as welding the drivers seat in my truck in one spot. :help:

In this case the rifle is "new" i.e. made after the 1994 ban. I'm trying to find the exact law and section on the MA gun laws site, but it's gotta be buried in there deep. Once I find it I'll post it. Yes that is the case here.:wacko: Gotta hate this state...

I have a pre-ban AR so I was able to add a 6 position DPMS stock.

Peace...

Ya. Don't go crazy looking brother. I believe you. It's overwhelming digging through the laws here. I especially like the one where if you walk across Boston Common you are "required " to carry a shot gun. :man_in_love:

Guess I'd better pin the stock on my 870 as well then. That will give me a reason to buy a new gun that fits my kid. :biggrin:

Appreciate the help, as always.

Thanks.

Ya. Don't go crazy looking brother. I believe you. It's overwhelming digging through the laws here. I especially like the one where if you walk across Boston Common you are "required " to carry a shot gun. :man_in_love:

Guess I'd better pin the stock on my 870 as well then. That will give me a reason to buy a new gun that fits my kid. :biggrin:

Appreciate the help, as always.

Thanks.

You're welcome, any time... I sent off an email message to my buddy who is my local dealer (FFL) I know he knows the Law # and section. Once I have it I'll post it for reference.

Peace...

Evidently, my friend did some digging on his own and found this. Link Removed

Now I'm even more confused. Since my 780 is a pump action not a semi auto, it might be excluded? I extended the mag but it still only holds eight rounds.

Here is what I got from my friend (FFL)..

Here's some references, etc. It doesn't specifically say anything other than the stock cannot be folding or collapsible.

Link Removed

MA mimicks the Federal Law which states a semi-automatic rifle is an assault weapon if it can accept a detachable magazine and has two or more of the following:
* A folding or telescoping stock
* A pistol grip
* A bayonet mount
* A flash suppressor, or threads to attach one
* A grenade launcher.

(For the Crime Bill's definition of assault shotguns and pistols, a list of assault weapons, and further legal issues see Crime Bill FAQ.)

I kinda wish mine had the last option.:biggrin:

Peace...

Does she like it? Does she use it much? I've been thinking of converting my Ruger 10/22. I've had it since they first started making them and it never gets much use the way it sits.

Does she like it? Does she use it much? I've been thinking of converting my Ruger 10/22. I've had it since they first started making them and it never gets much use the way it sits.

Send that 10/22 my way and I'll see that it gets a good home and lots of use. :biggrin:

I've been looking for one to replace the one I sold many years ago. They cost $250 new. I recall paying $80 for mine back in 1989. My son would love one..

Peace...

Ya. I think I had to dig deep to buy it back then. I was working for about $5.00 an hour. If I ever decide to let it go I promise I'll check with you first. But that's unlikely since I still have my FIRST .22 single shot Marlin I think mom bought for me in CT for about $18 brand new.

OldOwl, she likes the M&P 15-22 rifle. Here is the MA compliant page, Link Removed

She has a friend that is a dealer and he said this is one to add to the collection. Easy to shoot, one note though. It is fussy about ammo brand and lists some in the manual not to use in it. And it is true. I tried some on the list and it would not cycle all the time.

Her favorite .22 rifle typically is a Savage bolt for accuracy and plinking. She used to shoot the 10/22 a lot as it was easy and you can shoot one off or rapid. She has a lot of .22 choices. She'll mix them up. We put a scope on the M&P 15.

More .22 shooting than higher calibers with her the past two years with the tough economy. Lot of people have been doing that.

More .22 shooting than higher calibers with her the past two years with the tough economy. Lot of people have been doing that.

True dat buddy. I haven't shot my S&W 40 for so long. The ammo cost is BRUTAL! It was cheaper to add on the longer barrel to my Walther P22 to target shoot with. The short one screws right on in two minutes to carry again with stinger ammo. The Walther had the same problem. Very fussy about what rounds you shoot and after sending it back to the factory for the second time on MY ticket, and it STILL not working I got them on the phone and they asked me "Did you oil the slide?" :angry: Seriously? I ship it to you twice on warranty and you supposedly test it and send it back A OK and didn't oil the slide?

So. Hi velocity ammo and a clean wet slide matter a lot.

I tricked out my 870 and am in the process of bringing the Weatherby 300 mag up to sniper grade. I'll probably play with the 10/22 after that.

I forgot to mention. I stopped in the local gun shop yesterday, and there on the wall is a brand new 12 Ga pump with a folding stock and extended mag. so, evidently the law only applies to semi auto weapons.

I also noticed a 50 round banana clip advertised in a magazine which will not ship to assachusetts. I'd say that's because they didn't make them before the ban even though the gun was made then. All they had before the ban with 50 rounds was the drums. Starting to figure all the baloney out. :wacko:

OldOwl, that is right, baloney in various ways. Lot of people won't go to a show or store in ME, NH, VT as examples because they can see things they can't buy new. There are some that don't mind window shopping. Pre-ban AR's and compliant ones are not cheap.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back