Adding gun to CCW in Nevada

I recently purchased a small LCP to add to my Nevada CCW permit. I've ranted and raved all over the forum about the stupidity of the process, so I won't bother anyone here.

I turned in my qualification paperwork (and $25) to LVMPD on Feb 28th and received my new (amended) CCW permit in the mail today (Mar 8th).

That's about the only thing that actually works in the process. The qualification process is an absolute joke.

Dear Lowjiber,

I am growing tired of your reference to our law regarding qualification as a "joke."

I replied in a previous thread on the subject.

How would YOU change the qualification standard?

Personally, I agree it should be changed - to Constitutional Carry! No "permit" nor "qualification" required.

In the meantime, our legislature dictates permits and the NSCA writes the qualification standards.

Frankly, I think they did a reasonably good job. Sure, the standard could use some tweaking. But a citizen should NOT have to undergo extensive "SWAT" type training in order to get the permit to CCW.

In the meantime, our legislature dictates permits and the NSCA writes the qualification standards.

Frankly, I think they did a reasonably good job. Sure, the standard could use some tweaking. But a citizen should NOT have to undergo extensive "SWAT" type training in order to get the permit to CCW.

I won't argue that the NSCA standards are "reasonably good". However, all the standards in the world don't mean anything when the application of those standards is not common practice...such as is the case in the Vegas valley.

After moving to Nv in Jan 2010, I took my CCW class (Nv & Utah) at a local gun store. I've detailed the "qualification" experience in previous threads and won't waste time here repeating it. Suffice to say that when I asked why the NSCA standards were not being followed, I was told that they were just "guidelines" and the actual standard was up to the person certifying my qualification.

Last month, when seeking to add another pistol (LCP) to my permit, I was told at one shop that I had to fire twelve rounds within thirty seconds. When I questioned that "standard", I was told that that was their (The Gun Shop's) standard.

My references to "a joke" are justified in my opinion. Not what's written in the standards, but how they are ignored in actual practice. When a fairly decent standard is written by a group such as NSCA, it's worthless if it's not applied...as in the cases I've experienced. When individuals not associated with the NSCA can take it upon themselves to decide what's necessary for qualification for a state license, the entire process becomes a joke.

Thanks.

Good point(s).

Have you contacted the NSCA with your concerns about the standards NOT being applied uniformly in Clark County?

The NSCA has a CCW sub-committee and can recommend the NSCA revoke instructor quals.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back