Adding a bipod to my Century Arms G3A3

festus

God Bless Our Troops!!!
I am finally getting around to adding a bipod to my G3A3. I used Hysol EA9309 to bond the mounting pad to the hand guard. This is an aerospace grade polymer that costs about 40.00 an once so it better be good. The Hysol Rep told me it is the strongest on the market...we'll see! Pics to come!

I promised pics!!!!

Here are the bipod install pics.
1. I roughed up the mounting surfaces with steel wool and cleaned them with a high VOC degreaser (carb cleaner).
2. I made sure they were absolutely dry and chemical/contaminate free.
3. I mixed the EA 9309 (hysol) per the MFG instructions
4. I applied the adhesive with a CLEAN plastic spatula
5. I set the mounting pad in place making sure it was absolutely square and level.
6. I allowed it to set for 24 hours before even moving the part.
7. I allowed the full drying time of 3-5 days before applying any type of load.

CAUTION CAUTION CAUTION

Do not get this stuff on you!!! It is way icky bad and will make you ill with stuff the doctor can't fix.

CAUTION CAUTION CAUTION

Once it is fully tested I will touch up the discolored areas after a very thorough inspection for cracks and fissures using a 10X jewelers loupe

Link Removed
Link Removed

Here are the bipod install pics.
1. I roughed up the mounting surfaces with steel wool and cleaned them with a high VOC degreaser (carb cleaner).
2. I made sure they were absolutely dry and chemical/contaminate free.
3. I mixed the EA 9309 (hysol) per the MFG instructions
4. I applied the adhesive with a CLEAN plastic spatula
5. I set the mounting pad in place making sure it was absolutely square and level.
6. I allowed it to set for 24 hours before even moving the part.
7. I allowed the full drying time of 3-5 days before applying any type of load.

CAUTION CAUTION CAUTION

Do not get this stuff on you!!! It is way icky bad and will make you ill with stuff the doctor can't fix.

CAUTION CAUTION CAUTION

Once it is fully tested I will touch up the discolored areas after a very thorough inspection for cracks and fissures using a 10X jewelers loupe

Link Removed
Link Removed

Oh man this looks awesome!!! Very nice mod!!!

Critical failure!

I am back to square one on the bipod project. The Polymer did not cure properly and Apparently I did not mix it properly or, I did not degrease good enough, or all three! As they say in the cartoons..."back to the old drawing board"

On the plus side...I did not hurt my rifle in any way.

Ah, Shot Festus, Tain't not thang... Some guy named Edison has been attibuted to sayin somten like...
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Back to the board... Really nice rifle just the same.

Hey Festus,
Did you ever get a chance to re-do this? I have an FAL that needs a similar fix. I was thinking more of the J-B Weld route...
S.

G3-A3 BIPOD part II

Hey Festus,
Did you ever get a chance to re-do this? I have an FAL that needs a similar fix. I was thinking more of the J-B Weld route...
S.

I should be receiving my tactical forend with rails on the 30th of June. I had to do a lot of research to make sure that the US parts count is legit and that 922R is not a problem. BTW Century arms marks heir US made parts with a "c"

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back