Accepting other States

Specific qualifications

Dumb question: Since the Utah permit is valid in NV there won’t be a specific type & caliber limitation or qualifications as there are in the NV CCW permit while carrying in NV?

Utah wait time

You can take the Utah CCW course from a certified UT CCW instructor in other states and mail in your CCW packet.

Be advised that Utah BCI is back logged on processing CCW applications due to soo many being submitted. So, get your class done and submit your packet, but don't expect it for like 2-6 months.

I mailed out my application May 9th and received my permit October 6th

Dumb question: Since the Utah permit is valid in NV there won’t be a specific type & caliber limitation or qualifications as there are in the NV CCW permit while carrying in NV?

Whatever you cal legally carry with your UT CCW permit, you can legally carry in NV.

Only additional thing you need to do, if you visit Clark County before 01-01-2008, is to register your handguns with LVMPD.

How do we get Florida on that list?

Three things need to be done.

1. Get Florida to change their requirement for issueing a CCW permit to meet or exceed that of Nevada. Currently Florida is below the standard mandated by Nevada.

2. Get Florida to create an electronic database which identifies each individual who holds a valid permit to carry a concealed firearm and which also allows any law enforcement officers access to that database at any time. Currently, Florida does not have a database that meets these requirements.

3. Once #1 & 2 are done, get the Nevada Sheriffs’ and Chiefs’ Association to agree with the Nevada DPS that Florida meets all the requirements and should be included on the list of approved out of state permits.

Three things need to be done.

1. Get Florida to change their requirement for issueing a CCW permit to meet or exceed that of Nevada. Currently Florida is below the standard mandated by Nevada.

2. Get Florida to create an electronic database which identifies each individual who holds a valid permit to carry a concealed firearm and which also allows any law enforcement officers access to that database at any time. Currently, Florida does not have a database that meets these requirements.

3. Once #1 & 2 are done, get the Nevada Sheriffs’ and Chiefs’ Association to agree with the Nevada DPS that Florida meets all the requirements and should be included on the list of approved out of state permits.

Actually, Florida does meet the 24/7 verification requirement, as they have reciprocity with Virginia and West Virginia, both of which have similar requirements. However, Nevada, South Carolina, and a few other states need to stop wringing their hands about the minutiae of the required elements of a training course as a condition of establishing reciprocity with a state. I am really perplexed that Utah (which only requires a 3-hour class with no live firing test) made the list when even some of the states that have reciprocity with South Carolina (i.e., MI, NC,OH, TX, WY) did not. Delaware and New Mexico have more relaxed versions of reciprocity laws that require a reciprocal state to have a training requirement but only require that there be some form of training and do not take the fine-tooth comb approach of NV & SC.

As long as licenses are going to be required, every state should adopt a "universal recognition" law like those in MI, IN, KY, TN, MO, OK, SD, ID, UT & AZ so that every other state's license will be recognized, subject only to possible conditions limiting recognition based on the age of the person and barring a resident of a state from using another state's license as an alternative to getting a home state license.

Do we know why?

Florida wasn't put on the list until Jan 3, 2008?

It's my understanding that Nevada DPS contacted the Florida AG instead of the Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services. Unless NV DPS contacts the appropriate agency for the recognition inquiry the process won't go anywhere. If nobody has a concrete answer as to why then I'll press NSCA with that question during the next public CCW meeting.

I think Utah is catching up on their backlog for non-res permits. Mine took over 4 months last year, but a friend of mine just got his back in 6 weeks.

Nevermind, just found NRS 202.3688. Since I'm a resident here, I'm outta luck and have to get a NV permit.

bplv-

Any further info on this one? I also read that and it confused me.

2. A person who possesses a permit to carry a concealed firearm that was issued by a state included in the list prepared pursuant to NRS 202.3689 may not carry a concealed firearm in this State if the person:

(a) Becomes a resident of this State; and

(b) Has not been issued a permit from the sheriff of the county in which he resides within 60 days after becoming a resident of this State

GRAY area? What if I'm already a resident and then apply for a UT permit? I do not "become" a resident of the state as I'm already a resident. Would this provision therefore not apply?

Taken to the other extreme, this law might also be read to say that even with a valid NV permit, if I have a CCW from another state, I may not carry if I didn't get my NV permit within 60 days of becoming a resident. Any thoughts?

Also FWIW, I just got my UT permit yesterday but still haven't gotten my NV permit (applied early December) so I guess I can carry everywhere UT is accepted EXCEPT here at home? Oh well...

Tim

Also, would the combination a valid NV permit and a valid UT permit allow you to bypass the requirement to license each handgun, since your valid NV permit allows you to carry in NV, but your valid UT permit (recognized by NV) allows concealed carry of any firearm? I know...IANAL either. Just looking for discussion.

bplv-

Any further info on this one? I also read that and it confused me.

GRAY area? What if I'm already a resident and then apply for a UT permit? I do not "become" a resident of the state as I'm already a resident. Would this provision therefore not apply?

Taken to the other extreme, this law might also be read to say that even with a valid NV permit, if I have a CCW from another state, I may not carry if I didn't get my NV permit within 60 days of becoming a resident. Any thoughts?

Also FWIW, I just got my UT permit yesterday but still haven't gotten my NV permit (applied early December) so I guess I can carry everywhere UT is accepted EXCEPT here at home? Oh well...

Tim

I read the 60-day rule as meaning that a new Nevada resident may carry in Nevada with a permit issued by a listed state for 60 days to give new residents time to obtain a Nevada concealed carry permit without depriving them of a means of lawful concealed carry during their first 60 days as a state resident.

NV resident & non-resident CFPs...

The 60 day grace period applies to new NV residents only; CO, FL and TN have similar grace periods on their books at 90, 90 and 180 days respectively. The grace period should have been 120 days or the NRS should be worded so the Sheriff must issue a temporary NV CFP upon expiration of the 60 day grace period if they possess a valid CCW that's on the NV recognition list and their NV CFP application has not been denied. That's an issue that should be taken up next legislative session.

Keep in mind that a NV Sheriff may take up to 120 days by NRS to issue your NV CFP. If you plan on moving to NV, I would take the class and apply for your NV CFP as soon as you know you're going to establish residency here. You could make a case to the NV Sheriff for a temp NV CFP if your grace period runs out. If you're active duty military stationed in NV you don't need to get a NV CFP as long as you keep your home of record outside of NV and you don't get a NV DL.

If you don't do enough NICS checks in a five year period to recoup the cost of the class, NV CFP application fees and your time dealing with the NV Sheriff (it can be as bad as going to the DMV to apply for your NV CFP through LVMPD) during the NV CFP term, it's not worth it to get one if you're a non-resident and can legally buy firearms here because you maintain a permanent seasonal residence or are active duty military in NV.

It's common knowledge that only three States itemize specific firearms on your CCW; CA, NV and NY(C). NM use to itemize by caliber and firearm type, but now it's largest caliber and firearm type (revolver or semi-auto pistol). AR has revolver and semi-auto pistol. TX has (or had) revolver only CHLs. The only sticky issue is AR CHL holders here. AR does have revolver only CHLs. I recommend that AR CHL holders only carry what they are authorized to carry on their CHL or get a non-resident FL or UT.

That's what SB237 originally had but unfortunately Assemblyman B. Anderson screwed that up again. Being the NV Assembly Judiciary Chair he has absolute power on what bills get voted out of committee. All NV firearm legislation has to go through each house's judiciary committee before it gets brought to a general vote. The NV Sheriffs according to Frank Adams do not want to keep track of specific semi-auto pistols anymore than we want to qualify with them.

Having a NV CFP and another on the recognition list does not exempt you from the NV requirement of qualifying with specific semi-auto pistols and any revolver if you're a NV resident. If you're a NV resident, you can only carry on a NV CFP after 60 days of establishing NV residency. What other CCWs you have mean nothing as they're not valid here after your 60 day grace period is up.

Even if there wasn't a requirement for NV residents to obtain a NV CFP it would still be worth one's while to get one as NICS checks in NV are $25 each. If you travel to a State that only recognizes resident CCWs and NV is on their recognition list then you have that benefit as well. So between the high NICS checks in NV and not having to get a FL CWFL anymore, a NV CFP isn't a bad deal for the five year term if you're a resident.

Last edited:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back