Acccidental Discharge

ADs are very common and gererally it is the fault of the one handling the firearm. If you had a trigger adjustment make sure it is within the guidelines of the owners manuel. Keep your trigger finger outside the trigger guard, and when cleaning your firearm check for worn areas within the trigger mechicnism. Check your trigger pull or have your gun smith check the the trigger pull.

The main thing when handling any friearm is SAFETY all firearms are loaded, if they are unloaded, treat them as they are loaded. A lot gun shot wounds and deaths are from unloaded firearms.

1: Colt 1911 Combat Elite.
2: Wrongly adjusted sear spring to create a lighter trigger pull.

The sear spring was one of those 4 leaf springs. I replaced it with the original 3 leaf springs and had it properly adjusted and the problem never repeated itself...

The others have been fairly easy on you. I'm not of that opinion. You made a VERY SERIOUS mistake that could have had deadly consequenses. This time you were lucky but you should not take this as something that "just happens". It doesn't "just happen" and was the result of a major lack of experience or lack of training.
I'm not saying that these things happen to others(or to myself), I'm saying that the idea of"it's OK, no one was hurt" is wrong thinking. If you plowed your car through a crowd because you forgot it was in gear, would it be OK because no one was hurt? I, personally, don't think so.
PS
This wasn't really an AD it was a negligent discharge. You pulled the trigger on a loaded pistol. There was no ACCIDENT in the pistol firing. You made an intentional action.

I believe that there are very few "Accidental Discharges." Most are "Negligent Discharges." Other than that I will not preach, that has been done in this case. I have had two instances of Accidental discharges. 1. Back in 1960 was shooting in some drainage ditches in Malden, MO, when my Ruger standard 22 semi auto pistol went full auto fire. I thought it was pretty neat, so I tried two more magazines full. On the second magazine the pistol threw parts off and no longer worked. I know, it was foolish. Fortunately Ruger repaired it for me. Back in those days I could just mail it to them, they fixed it and sent it back.
2. I have a Savage Stryker (.223) that I put an after market trigger in. I just can't get the trigger adjustment right, and when I do it shifts after a few shots. So this accidentally discharges, but I am working on it at the time trying to adjust it. Even though it has done this twice while loaded, it was safely on a shooting point and pointed downrange. I was prepared for it, knowing the tendency of the trigger.

The others have been fairly easy on you. I'm not of that opinion. You made a VERY SERIOUS mistake that could have had deadly consequenses. This time you were lucky but you should not take this as something that "just happens". It doesn't "just happen" and was the result of a major lack of experience or lack of training.
I'm not saying that these things happen to others(or to myself), I'm saying that the idea of"it's OK, no one was hurt" is wrong thinking. If you plowed your car through a crowd because you forgot it was in gear, would it be OK because no one was hurt? I, personally, don't think so.
PS
This wasn't really an AD it was a negligent discharge. You pulled the trigger on a loaded pistol. There was no ACCIDENT in the pistol firing. You made an intentional action.
Thanks For your input. I will take what you said into consideration. I did say that "I have been shooting for a year now so yes, I am a bit inexprience. And I did say my gun was pointing down range, where it should have been at time. I'm not trying to make excuses for myself I just want let you know. Gun safety is a major part of my mindset now. I have been back to the range several time since that incident and I am extremely conscious of what I am doing. Once again, Thanks for you input!!

New Threads

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back