A Vehicle Gun?

GLOCK23LOVER

I was wondering about having a vehicle gun. I say this because I saw, while sitting at an intersection, a guy walking who approached a car across the street. This guy walked up to the driver's window and I assume asked for money, because I could see the driver shaking his head & waving him off. I had the thought: "If the driver is carrying concealed and his firearm in on his right side, under his seatbelt, would he have time to react & draw if this guy attempted to smash his window and/or attack him". A Vehicle gun lying in the passenger seat or in the console could possibly save a life. Also, let's say that you are carrying and you leave your firearm out while driving just to be safe. However, when you get to a store for instance, you to holster your weapon. And then unholster when you get back into your vehicle. This could get tiresome if your have to make several stops. You could keep your carry weapon holstered and use your vehicle weapon for "driving protection".What are some opinions on this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using USA Carry mobile app

Link Removed

Gum Creek makes a nice vehicle mount holster that mounts to the panel under the steering wheel. Always there and concealed in plain site. I have one in my Jeep and it keeps my CCW right where I need it!

Gum Creek makes a nice vehicle mount holster that mounts to the panel under the steering wheel. Always there and concealed in plain site. I have one in my Jeep and it keeps my CCW right where I need it!
that rig would be illegal in FLA

The problem with your thinking is that people can break into cars really quick. So I always advise no one keep anything of any value in a vehicle for more than a few hours while out for the day or something.... Especially a gun. The idea of having a dedicated vehicle mount for your carry piece is much better, and yes its a bit of a hassle to holster and unholster for a bunch of stops, but I will deal with the minor inconvenience as the alternative is much worse.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

I use De Santis Kingston seat holster that holds my pistol on the front of my seat right be below my right knee. Easy to access and concealed from normal sight.

Is your car door unlocked? This will give you the time necessary to draw your firearm from your holster should some man approach your car.

let's say that you are carrying and you leave your firearm out while driving just to be safe. However, when you get to a store for instance, you to holster your weapon. And then unholster when you get back into your vehicle. This could get tiresome if your have to make several stops.
Holstering and unholstering a gun under these circumstances could get "tiresome"? Really, you've got to be kidding. :rolleyes:

Can't speak for anyone else, but... um... what's wrong with leaving it on your person?

I always carry... usually concealed, but in my vehicle, I just flip my shirt/jacket out of the way as I get in my truck, and flip it back over my handgun, when I get out.... never had any sort of an issue. Indiana doesn't care how I carry.

Shoulder holster is an option for instances where you are wearing a jacket, also a cross-draw belt holster, depending on how thick you are in the middle (doesn't work for me unless I'm in the saddle, LOL) also a strong-side hi-rise holster can clear the seat enough for a concealed draw. Having said this, situational awareness is the MOST important quality needed for concealed carry & self-defense. Practicing a draw to answer the threat of a car-jacking, for instance (EMPTY weapon of course!) will give you insight as to what will work best for you. Many's the time that I had a citizen approach my patrol car, and I already had my back-up gun in my hand...never had to use it, but it left me with a warm feeling just having it there... :)

There is an alternative under these circumstances that beat drawing a concealed firearm......... Simply remove your foot from the brake and exert pressure to the excelorator. 3500 pounds @ 25 mph beats 124 grains @ 1200 fps.

There is an alternative under these circumstances that beat drawing a concealed firearm......... Simply remove your foot from the brake and exert pressure to the excelorator. 3500 pounds @ 25 mph beats 124 grains @ 1200 fps.

Some will say that you can't always move because you might have a vehicle in front of you. Personally I never pull up too close to the vehicle in front of me; always leave space to get out if you need to. If nothing else pull forward and bump the car in front then reverse and bump the car behind you. I would think this will make most bad guys who wish you harm to want to flee the area because too much attention has been drawn to your vehicle. You also now get to avoid any negative publicity that comes with using a firearm to defend yourself.

This is my experience and not an opinion of how anyone else should conduct themselves.

I best conceal a weapon IWB 6o'clock; I'm tall and skinny and don't have a lot of places to hide what I prefer to carry, which is a full-sized semi-auto.

Its a PITA to try to draw from a belted sitting position behind the wheel. On the occasions when I have my weapon wedged between the seat and console it is obvious to me from practicing the draw that the unsecured holster is likely to come with the gun when I reach for it. The solution is to plan on using 2 hands to hold the weapon and shuck the holster or find a suitable holster to secure between the seat and console or to the dash.

I don't have the appropriate holster figured out yet, but I will. Most times I want to keep my weapon on me, some times I want it in a secured holster not on me.

When I have it between the seat and console, I will periodically reach for it and train myself to know where it is, no different than knowing where the gas and brake pedals are and where the turn signal lever is; it is second nature to find it and be prepared to draw it.

Do what works for you, but most importantly, keeping out of situations that put you in harms way is the best possible way to protect yourself. $.02

Saw a neet idea in the NRA magazine. It was a holster made to go on your visor and hold a gun. Lookied like a wide elastic band with a holster attached. Convienent place.

I don't think the visor in my car could support the weight of my daily carry weapon, it would be down all the time. The Gum Creek holster I have is black and matches the interior color of my vehicle, so it's hard to detect unless you look closely. I normally use it on longer trips so my CCW isn't pushing against my body. It's more of a comfort thing for me, but keeps it handy. For short trips I just keep it holstered and deal with the slight discomfort.

I was wondering about having a vehicle gun. I say this because I saw, while sitting at an intersection, a guy walking who approached a car across the street. This guy walked up to the driver's window and I assume asked for money, because I could see the driver shaking his head & waving him off. I had the thought: "If the driver is carrying concealed and his firearm in on his right side, under his seatbelt, would he have time to react & draw if this guy attempted to smash his window and/or attack him". A Vehicle gun lying in the passenger seat or in the console could possibly save a life. Also, let's say that you are carrying and you leave your firearm out while driving just to be safe. However, when you get to a store for instance, you to holster your weapon. And then unholster when you get back into your vehicle. This could get tiresome if your have to make several stops. You could keep your carry weapon holstered and use your vehicle weapon for "driving protection".What are some opinions on this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using USA Carry mobile app
I know exactly what you mean. That's why I have a Ruger SP101 357 for my car. Its small, I can put in the console between my seat. I use to have a Ruger LCP in there but the BG have gotten bigger:dirol:

Last edited:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back