A Thing of Beauty…

KimberPB

I had some free time Saturday and decided to cast a few bullets. Here are a few pics for your enjoyment.

HPIM0534.jpg

HPIM0536.jpg

I used to enjoy casting bullets. There's also the great satisfaction you get when you realize just how much money you can save.

Looks good, including the composition of your pictures.

That's just plain beautiful! It makes me want to go out to my shop and cast a few thousand. :biggrin:

I used to enjoy casting bullets. There's also the great satisfaction you get when you realize just how much money you can save.

Looks good, including the composition of your pictures.

Nice bullets. The satisfaction I get is that the government or shortages can't cut off my bullet suppply. And as long as I can make powder and knap flint, I'm set with at least two guns. Still trying to figure out how to microstamp them round balls. :sarcastic:

Thanks for the comments guys! It is satisfying to look at a bucket of nasty grimy wheel weights and then see what you've been able to turn them into.

I do have a question since I'm still new to this casting stuff. I noticed at times I'd get really nice shiny bullets and other times they'd come out with a more satin look. Why is this? Is my mold getting to hot/not hot enough? Do I need to smoke my mold again? Either way they are filling out the mold properly and forming good bullets but just wondered why.

Thanks guys

Thanks for the comments guys! It is satisfying to look at a bucket of nasty grimy wheel weights and then see what you've been able to turn them into.

I do have a question since I'm still new to this casting stuff. I noticed at times I'd get really nice shiny bullets and other times they'd come out with a more satin look. Why is this? Is my mold getting to hot/not hot enough? Do I need to smoke my mold again? Either way they are filling out the mold properly and forming good bullets but just wondered why.

Thanks guys

The satin look you mention is usually refereed to as "frosting". It is from being too hot. Either reduce the lead temp a bit, or as I do if a mold gets too hot, use two molds to give one time to cool. Frosting does not hurt anything and some don't care if it's frosted. Now if you are casting little (like 22 cal) bullets, or hollow points, you have to cast fast and hotter than normal to fill out right. little bullets don't keep the mold hot, and on hollow points the removable pin cools fast. I wouldn't worry about some frosting, as long as they are filling out OK. I never had a deer cuss because the bullet wasn't all sparkley. If you store them long, they won't stay shiny anyway and get lead oxide on them.

The satin look you mention is usually refereed to as "frosting". It is from being too hot. Either reduce the lead temp a bit, or as I do if a mold gets too hot, use two molds to give one time to cool. Frosting does not hurt anything and some don't care if it's frosted. Now if you are casting little (like 22 cal) bullets, or hollow points, you have to cast fast and hotter than normal to fill out right. little bullets don't keep the mold hot, and on hollow points the removable pin cools fast. I wouldn't worry about some frosting, as long as they are filling out OK. I never had a deer cuss because the bullet wasn't all sparkley. If you store them long, they won't stay shiny anyway and get lead oxide on them.

Thanks Saltcreek.

It wasn't a big issue more curious then anything. I tumble lube them anyway so they don't stay shiny for long.

Thanks guys!

I have good news and I have bad news..... Bad news, I tumble lube all the bullets last night so they are no longer all pretty and shiny. Good new, I have 962 bullets lubed and ready to be loaded when I get off work!! Whooohoooo.....

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back