A quote that made me think today...

tuts40

"Liberty means responsibility. That is why most men dread it." — George Bernard Shaw

I found this at KeepAndBearArms (dot com) and it made me think about some people I know, myself included. More so, however, I thought about the men and women who fear actively looking for work. Also made me think about those who have considered owning a gun but decided perhaps they were not responsible enough - I know they are out there... I also thought of one of my twin sons, 22 y.o., and compared to his four siblings he lacks a bit of the "responsibility gene". These things all came to mind when I read the quote.

What comes to your mind when you read it? ...If you'd care to tell. :)

Fisck

It's easier to be a sheep with few or no rights and have the shepherd take care of you, than to be a free man and take responsibility for your self and your family.

gunnerbob

PEW Professional
Most of today's society prefers to have "their" choices made for them. What's the right thing to do, what the cool thing to do is, what's lame, what's stupid, who's mainstream, which battles are worth fighting, etc...

Too many people in this country are willing to give up certain freedoms, if they are kept entertained and told that "other" things matter more than individual freedom.

"you can take away my freedom, as long as you give me life"

To some, life is the ultimate goal... not a free life. Of course everyone wants to live a nice, long life... but some choose to live it as a pawn, and others as a free individual.

The one's who choose to live it as a free person have decided that to do so, is worth giving up everything. Then, when you bring up what their childrens lives will be like, it puts it further into perspective. I for one want my children to live a more free life than I... and I'm willing to sacrifice myself to ensure that.

The statement is true.

Nightmare45

NRA LIFE MEMBER
You just answered what is wrong with America today, no one takes responsibility for their own actions (blame game).

JohnLM

To me liberty means freedom but you are not free to do whatever you want. As it apply to gun we are free to own them as long as we act in a responsible manner. We most abide by the laws of the state.

FN1910

Much the same as the phrase "Freedom's just another word for, nothing left to lose". As long as you have something in your life worth keeping then you have resonsibility. They almost sound like they are conflicting with each other but if you think deep enough and can understand both then you know. It took me a long time to fully understand that simple phrase in that song but when I did I realized how true it is.

Iam2Taz

You have to protect liberty. It is the responsibility of each person to do so. Protecting it means you may have to give up your life doing so. Most don't want to make that commitment.

Grognard Gunny

YOU are responsible for your actions. Period. While it is easy to brag about your litle successes in life, it is an almost universal trait in humankind to externalize (or find external "cause") for your failures.

Hence the "blame game", played not only at the individual level but at the group level also. (Witness Congress' antics, scapegoating and finger pointing.)

Until the vast majority of the citizenry of this Country can look at themselves in the mirror and admit that THEY are the reason why they are in the situation in life they are and no one else.... then the blame game goes on, the whining goes on and our capacity for individual thought, action and responsibility continues to wane.

GG

Rhino

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
--- Samuel Adams

Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
--- Thomas Paine

God grants liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.
--- Daniel Webster (1834)

We have confused the free with the free and easy.
--- Adlai Stevenson

If an American is to amount to anything he must rely upon himself, and not upon the State; he must take pride in his own work, instead of sitting idle to envy the luck of others. He must face life with resolute courage, win victory if he can, and accept defeat if he must, without seeking to place on his fellow man a responsibility which is not theirs.
--- Teddy Roosevelt, Review of Reviews, January 1897

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--- Thomas Edison

A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
--- John Stuart Mill

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--- Les Morris

Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.
--- John Wayne

chuck0255

If you want to make someone angry tell him a lie; if you want to make him furious, tell him the truth. All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed , second it is violently opposed, and third it is accepted as self-evident.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tgtjf