A question about Indiana gun show purchases.

Bluestar99

I live in Illinois. A state that Senator **** Durbin has been ruining all his adult life. Since the mass shooting in Orlando he has been on the news talking about gun control. He and most of the left have been trying to restrict gun owners access to firearms here. He claims that people can drive across the border into Indiana and fill their trunks with weapons bought at Indiana gun shows and then drive into Chicago and sell them to gang bangers. How accurate is he? We need to transfer out of state purchases to an FFL. How does Indiana work?

Federal law prohibits taking possession of handguns purchased outside your state of residence. To comply with Federal law, handguns must be shipped to an FFL inside your state of residence for transfer to you. Federal law allows you to take possession of rifles and shotguns from FFLs only outside your state of residence. In order to legally do that, however, Federal law requires that the transfer comply with both the laws of the state the FFL is in that your are receiving the rifle or shotgun from AND the laws of the state of residence of the recipient.

Your politicians need to read Federal law, 18 USC 922 (a)(3) and (b)(3). Two simple paragraphs in Federal law that all the anti-gun politicians ignore and lie about:
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/922#

(a) It shall be unlawful—
(3) for any person, other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to transport into or receive in the State where he resides (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, the State where it maintains a place of business) any firearm purchased or otherwise obtained by such person outside that State, except that this paragraph (A) shall not preclude any person who lawfully acquires a firearm by bequest or intestate succession in a State other than his State of residence from transporting the firearm into or receiving it in that State, if it is lawful for such person to purchase or possess such firearm in that State, (B) shall not apply to the transportation or receipt of a firearm obtained in conformity with subsection (b)(3) of this section, and (C) shall not apply to the transportation of any firearm acquired in any State prior to the effective date of this chapter;

(b) It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliver—
(3) any firearm to any person who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, does not maintain a place of business in) the State in which the licensee’s place of business is located, except that this paragraph (A) shall not apply to the sale or delivery of any rifle or shotgun to a resident of a State other than a State in which the licensee’s place of business is located if the transferee meets in person with the transferor to accomplish the transfer, and the sale, delivery, and receipt fully comply with the legal conditions of sale in both such States (and any licensed manufacturer, importer or dealer shall be presumed, for purposes of this subparagraph, in the absence of evidence to the contrary, to have had actual knowledge of the State laws and published ordinances of both States), and (B) shall not apply to the loan or rental of a firearm to any person for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes;

He claims that people can drive across the border into Indiana and fill their trunks with weapons bought at Indiana gun shows and then drive into Chicago and sell them to gang bangers.

They most certainly can do that. It just violates Federal law and multiple Federal felonies are committed in doing so. There is no "gun show loophole" nor is there any "internet sales loophole" that all the anti-gun politicians and organizations love to lie about.

Thanks for your reply. I figured he was full of BS but I didn't know how things worked in Indiana. I assume anyone legally selling at an Indiana gun show would have to be a licensed dealer. So could an Indiana resident buy a firearm from an Indiana gun show and take immediate delivery? The reason I ask is I want to send MR Durbin an email on the subject. He has spewed his BS more then once on the network news. Most people will not look into his statement and take it for fact.

Thanks for your reply. I figured he was full of BS but I didn't know how things worked in Indiana. I assume anyone legally selling at an Indiana gun show would have to be a licensed dealer. So could an Indiana resident buy a firearm from an Indiana gun show and take immediate delivery? The reason I ask is I want to send MR Durbin an email on the subject. He has spewed his BS more then once on the network news. Most people will not look into his statement and take it for fact.

Indiana law does not prohibit private sellers to conduct private sales at gun shows. Another lie that anti-gun politicians and organizations like to tell is anytime they mention "unlicensed dealers". Again, Federal law requires all dealers in firearms to be licensed (FFL). Federal law does not require private persons to be dealers to sell their own guns, but Federal law does prohibit private persons from selling their guns to people they know or have reason to believe are prohibited from possessing in any way - and also prohibits selling them to persons they know or have reason to believe reside in another state.

Thanks guys, that is what I wanted to know. I'll post if I get a reply from Senator Durbin, D. IL

A good rule of thumb is whenever a lib, anti-gun, a leftist or someone with a "D" behind their name, if their lips are moving they are lying, spewing BS, don't have a clue or a combination of any and all.

As for Mr "Turbin, he has always been a worthless POS!

Can't argue with you at all. I have also never received a reply from any Politician I have ever emailed. But who knows. I can't complain if I didn't try.

I live in Illinois. A state that Senator **** Durbin has been ruining all his adult life. Since the mass shooting in Orlando he has been on the news talking about gun control. He and most of the left have been trying to restrict gun owners access to firearms here. He claims that people can drive across the border into Indiana and fill their trunks with weapons bought at Indiana gun shows and then drive into Chicago and sell them to gang bangers. How accurate is he? We need to transfer out of state purchases to an FFL. How does Indiana work?
I just like that the forum software censored someone's actual legal first name :dance3:

Well you know what they say, there's 3 kinds of people....

He not wrong, he just conveniently forgot that such a sale is already illegal

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back