A new chapter.....turning my hobby into a business.

Mayonaze

A few months ago I decided to try something new at the ripe age of 50. I already have an awesome job in wholesale HVAC distribution. In addition to that, I design and build websites for some of my better clients. That just wasn't enough to keep me out of trouble, so I decided to get my NRA Firearms Instructor Certificate. I have also gotten certified by The NC Justice Academy as a Concealed Carry Handgun Permit Instructor. This new business venture is for weekends only, as I do love my sales job also!

I am currently building a classroom facility in a nice storefront. This week, I hung instructional posters from the NRA on the classroom walls. For student qualification, I will be able to use the outdoor pistol range at my home in good weather, or a local indoor range during inclement weather. I have also "repurposed" some existing industrial shelves into 8' student tables. Electricity & Water get turned on this week. I found some folding wooden chairs with padding for $10 bucks a piece. My classroom will accommodate 24 students very comfortably.

I have launched a website for the business, set up a PayPal account on the site for receiving deposits for the class, and have started enrolling students. I also created a FaceBook page for the company, and I am actively promoting that page.

My inspiration for this whole venture was when my wife, M-I-L, F-I-L, and son took a CC class locally and were terribly disturbed by the lack of quality in their instruction. They ALL came home and urged me to become an instructor and teach people what they NEED to know. I immediately went to work in that pursuit, taking vacation days to get my credentials. I am so excited about expanding my love of firearms to include the proper training of persons to safely and legally carry their handguns concealed.

My first class is next Saturday, the 17th. Wish me luck!

By the way, when I qualified on the range for NRA Instructors school, I was able to shoot a <6" pattern from 45 feet on 4 paper plates using my son's PT1911 .45 ACP..... On the first try. It is much easier said than done

"just keepin', and bearin'....."
"Praise the Lord, pass the ammunition!"
Certified NRA Firearms Instructor
NCJA Certified NC Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
GRNC.org Member

Good luck! I just launched a holster biz that I am working after my normal day job. :) I am having a blast!

Your life is somewhat mirroring my own. I have all the NRA building blocks in place, waiting on my state certification. Best of luck.

Good luck and remember that if you are sincerely trying to help people you are already in the top 10% of the instructor cadre.

Howdy mayonaze,

Congrats and let us know how everything turned out for you with your first class.

Paul

We had a great Concealed Carry class yesterday! I taught some friends that I hadn't seen in years! The group braved the rain for the practical qualification portion of the class in the morning. (I told everyone that bad guys don't take the day off for bad weather, so why should the good guys?) Thanks to everyone for your support! Our first class is now under our belt.... More are scheduled. Check out the schedule at www.ConcealedCarolina.com. Thanks.

GRNC.org Member

Howdy,

That's great to hear!

When's your next class?

Are you teaching just the CCW class for the permit or are you teaching a more advanced class as well?

Every time I take the refresher course ( every 5 years ) I'm shocked at the number of people either with aCCE permit or trying to get a CCW permit that do NOT know how to load a 5-shot revolver.

The last time I took the refresher class I took my Glock 35 w/ polished S/S barrel and Hi-Vis sights and shot a smiley face on my target. :)

Paul

Howdy,

That's great to hear!

When's your next class?

Are you teaching just the CCW class for the permit or are you teaching a more advanced class as well?

Every time I take the refresher course ( every 5 years ) I'm shocked at the number of people either with aCCE permit or trying to get a CCW permit that do NOT know how to load a 5-shot revolver.

The last time I took the refresher class I took my Glock 35 w/ polished S/S barrel and Hi-Vis sights and shot a smiley face on my target. :)

Paul

Hey Paul, I have 2 concealed carry classes scheduled for September: 14th and 28th. I also have an NRA "first Steps" Pistol class scheduled on Sept 21st for Novice shooters. So I am teaching NRA sanctioned classes as well as the NC Justice Academy curriculum for Concealed Handgun Permit...... Two totally different animals.

I Like your smiley face idea. Nice!

GRNC.org Member

Well, I've done a couple of classes so far. Things are progressing nicely. I am "building" a classroom for my classes. Up till now I've used my wife's office or the "Man-Cave" here at the house. Below is a picture of the classroom that I am working on. The tables used to be heavy duty shelving, but I cut them apart and put legs on them..... I ended up with eight 8' long tables. I went by after my regular job today and put polyurethane on 5 of the 8 tables. I'll have to paint the table legs sometime too. Link Removed

Here is a student that I gave a private lesson to. He couldn't schedule a class on Saturday because of his job, but he was willing to pay for some one-on-one time yesterday. As you can see, he shot very well. He also Aced the written legal exam. The one-on-one instruction let me give him much more range time with proficiency drills than a normal public class.

Link Removed

I am really looking forward to the day that I fill up that "new" classroom! (So is the wife, because I have put a ton of dough into this venture!). I am lovin' it though!!!!

GRNC.org Member

Howdy Mayonaze,

Looks good buddy!

I like your target stands too. You might want to get a few small sandbags like the benchrest type to place on the base for windy days.

Looks like things are going pretty good for you.

I've subscribed this thread and everytime someone post to it I receive an email so keep it updated so I can follow your progress.

Paul

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back