A (minor) Victory for the Folks

MI .45

MI .45
It should never have gotten to the point where a 1st Amendment protection has to essentially be reinstated but at least one of the country's major police forces re mandated to abide by the rules:

Landmark Settlement Reached In Preakness Arrest Case « CBS Baltimore

And, in this associated article, note to what extent the BPD went to avoid the police intimidation charge (more intimidation). The plaintiff received a settlement and a "framed" apology from the Police Commissioner but what is genuinely needed is formal reprimand and an apology by the officer(s) who instigated all of this:

New city police policy says public has right to film officers - baltimoresun.com

The tunnel has a few pinpoints of light but we really need full illumination to fully come to grips with the police state initiative.

Actually, I would characterize this as an important victory. Relatively small case, but with the potential for a large legal footprint. This court victory virtually instantly made the Baltimore PD much more accountable to the citizenry, which is a very good thing! Also, for those who regularly cuss the actions of the ACLU, they should keep this one in mind while they do so.

.... Also, for those who regularly cuss the actions of the ACLU, they should keep this one in mind while they do so.

Well, I guess we can count on the ACLU to help us fight in court that it was fully constitutional to film the cops confiscating our weapons. Seems there's an oxymoron in there somewhere, no?

Actually, I would characterize this as an important victory. Relatively small case, but with the potential for a large legal footprint. This court victory virtually instantly made the Baltimore PD much more accountable to the citizenry, which is a very good thing! Also, for those who regularly cuss the actions of the ACLU, they should keep this one in mind while they do so.

Even a blind squirrel will find a nut sometimes.

Even a blind squirrel will find a nut sometimes.
Actually, I would characterize it more like a blind pig finding an ear of corn...
I know I am one who is often muttering curses regarding the actions of the ACLU, only to find from time to time they have done something really good. In general, an organization whose function is pushing back against government is a good thing, even when I frequently disagree strongly with what they push back for. Every now and then they surprise me.
Regardless, I will take this small victory they provided.

Last edited:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back