A little Clarity

Feldon22

I ran into an LEO today and I asked him if was able to carry in my vehicle. He said it could be in the glove box if it was able to be locked...but he said that it did not have to be locked. But from all the searching that I have done the law says nothing about being locked.

I have copied the Line of SECTION 16-23-20 that talks about carrying a handgun in a vehicle. I guess I just want to see if you guys are reading this the same way I am.

(9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver’s license, registration, or proof of insurance;

Thanks for any clearing up.

You are right and he is wrong. He needs to read the law and get familiar with it. Nothing has to be locked.

Correct - no lock needed. A center console of many vehicles do not lock, but are legal to carry a firearm in them.

As I understand it.. It has to be able to be closed... glove box, what ever that really is, or the center console... and should be closed with the handgun in it until the LEO ask you for something that is in there, then you can legally open it in front of the officer. ( I think I'd inform him or her of the gun in there first) then again from your question I presume you don't currently have a S.C. CWP. If you do then the handgun can be on your person, which brings up all kinds of other questions.

Yeah I do not have my CWP right now but i am taking my class in May....I usually dont have the need to carry it unless im going into the rowdy part of town....so i just want to make sure that I am legal so if I do get pulled the LEO cant slap a charge on me that would not allow me to get my CWP....
Thanks for all the help

Yeah I do not have my CWP right now but i am taking my class in May....I usually dont have the need to carry it unless im going into the rowdy part of town....so i just want to make sure that I am legal so if I do get pulled the LEO cant slap a charge on me that would not allow me to get my CWP....
Thanks for all the help

You may want to reconsider your reasoning behind when "carrying". Imagine what you would do if you ever got into a SD situation and ended up in court. The prosecutor would ask "Why were you carrying your firearm?" Your response "I felt I needed it since I was going into the rowdy part of town." The prosecutor will then ask "Were you looking for trouble by going into the rowdy part of town?" :eek: I'm sure you get the picture.

Not trying to harp on you, just offering a suggestion based on my personal experience. My answer to carrying would be "I carry whenever and wherever I'm legally allowed to do so. I'm not psychic and never know when I'll need my firearm."

gf

What Glock Fan was explaining is a fault in many folks who carry thinking.... trying to predict when you might need to use deadly force is not logical... because of the simple reasoning that if you knew you were going to need to use a gun you would not go there.

Many of the bad things that happen.. occur when you least expect them and in places that are supposed to be safe.

I have my sccwp and am unclear about vehicle carry. I believe i can carry on my person while in my vehicle. Pleas advise if anyone else reads it this way. Also can I carry it in my center console or in the open on the front seat with a cwp?

Thanks

I have my sccwp and am unclear about vehicle carry. I believe i can carry on my person while in my vehicle. Pleas advise if anyone else reads it this way. Also can I carry it in my center console or in the open on the front seat with a cwp?

Thanks

With you SC CWP you can carry it concealed on your person while in a vehicle. You can also carry it with or without a CWP in a closed console or glove compartment and does not have to have a lock. It's illegal to carry it in plain sight on the seat.

SC law

(9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver’s license, registration, or proof of insurance;

As i understand it, Georgia is just the opposite. It has to be in full open view. I can't imagine how an officer would react if he approached your window and sees a pistol lying in the seat next to you.:eek:

As i understand it, Georgia is just the opposite. It has to be in full open view. I can't imagine how an officer would react if he approached your window and sees a pistol lying in the seat next to you.:eek:

Correct, if you don't have a permit. As long as the LEO knows the law then nobody should have any problems.

Automobile carry:
Without a GA or Reciprocal License - fully open to view (such as uncovered in passenger seat, partially sticking out below or beside seat is not allowed). If you are not prohibited from obtaining a firearm carry license, it can be in a closeable compartment like the glove box or center console (map pockets that are not closeable are not acceptable) ith a GA or Reciprocal License - Anywhere in the car.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back