A little Advice

Which Gun

• Total voters

dobleceroseite

Hello everyone. I've been a member of the site for a little while now and was wondering if I could get some advice.

I've applied for my CCW in Ohio (applied one week ago tomorrow, only 3 left before I get it. :yes2:) and I was wondering what gun I should get.

Guns I'm looking at:

USP 9 (either Compact or Full Size can't really tell which would be easier)
Walther P99QA Compact
Sig 229
Sig 250
S&W Sigma
Walther PPS

All guns feel good in my hand and I LOVE the USP. I rented the USP at my local range and it shot really nice. The only downside is it is expensive (I was quoted 779.99 New). I like the Walther's but they only come with a 1 year warrenty (which really blows). My Dad and Step-Dad have carried Sigs for the past 10 years in the police dept's they work for so I know they are dependable. And I shot a Sigma during my CCW class and it was...interesting to say the lease. By the way the guns are lisited in order of what I want (ie USP 1, Walther P99 2, Sig 229 3, etc...)

Really what I want to know is opinions on how to carry the guns I've listed, and If anybody carries these guns and any experience you've had. I've been HEAVILY READING the forums for a while now, along with other forums concerning the same thing.

Now the only thing I will say is that I don't really like Glocks. Just doesn't feel right to me when I hold it. That's all. I know the record of a Glock and I've seen, both in person and deminstration video's (Police Training Things) how good Glock's are, but I feel they are not for me.

I appreciate any advice you can give. Thank you in advance.

First, I'll say that I'm not a fan of the Sigma, (at least in .40), but that's purely a personal preference. That is the only one on your list that I have any experience with.

I'm a big fan of versatility. I LOVE the concept behind the Sig 250. One of my goals is that I want to be able to fire as many common calibers as possible. Never know when the next ammo shortage will hit, and what will or will not be available. Being able to switch between frame sizes is another great feature. That would allow you to experiment with different carry methods.

That aside, If you truly like the USP above and beyond all the others, and you can swing the cost, I'd say it's worth every penny. As for size, you must consider how you intend to carry. Obviously smaller guns hide easier than larger. But it doesn't really take much to hide a full size frame. It all depends on your holster and attire. Learning how to move without printing helps too. My daily carry is a sub-compact Glock, but I now wish I had just gone with the full size, as I am certain I would be able to conceal it just as well.

Just go with your gut. It knows you best.

Like Tim said, "If you truly like the USP above and beyond all the others, and you can swing the cost, I'd say it's worth every penny."

I'd get the Compact if it were me buying.

I agree with Timmer on the S&W Sigma. Not the best call. I love S&W firearms so for me to write that.:pleasantry:

Have you looked at or tried the M&P by S&W? They come in both duty size and compact. 9mm, 357sig, 40S&W, and .45 They are not overly expensive and they are simple to operate and reliable. I own 2 and have nothing bad to write about them.

I also agree with the P250 idea. If they ever get approved here in MA for compliance I'd be inclined to look and try.

Peace...

Little Brother has a 229, The only one on the list I've shot. Pretty time tested and easy to get stuff. But don't ask me, I carry an XDm

I am a Sig fan..I own four of them, including a P229 and love every one of them! They are great guns, reliable, and I like having the extra weight over a polymer.

That being said, as others have already pointed out, if the USP is what feels best to you, then buy it! There are lots of auction sites out there where you can find a better price, and even places that will do layaway if you want to go that route.

PM me if you are interested and I will send you the links to the four websites I get most of my guns from :pleasantry:

Without getting into other pertinent considerations for such a choice >>>>
I have an HK USP compact and would highly recommend that gun. I put on the big XS sight. BTW mine is in .40 and I love it. Check out the .40 and good luck.

I am a Sig fan..I own four of them, including a P229 and love every one of them! They are great guns, reliable, and I like having the extra weight over a polymer.

Too big to carry except maybe in winter but I hope to get the Sig Tac OP in .40 someday.

I'm an unabashed HK fan. Try looking at the HK P2000. I have the SK version of it in a 9mm and it's outstanding. Ditto for the UPSs.

The only gun on your list that I'd stay away from is the S&W. From everything I've heard, their Sigma series isn't very good.

Ok so here's my input on the matter. I'm not familiar with all of the options that you listed. Like you, I can't stand Glocks. I also don't like Sigs.

I like the HK USP also. I would love to own one!! But I also have to second the recommendation to check out the S&W M&P series- I have shot several of them and I love each one more than the last!

Last note- I think buying a personal firearm is like buying a wedding dress- you have to be in love with it. If the USP is what you are in love with then save up a bit and go for it!

Hello everyone. I've been a member of the site for a little while now and was wondering if I could get some advice.

I've applied for my CCW in Ohio (applied one week ago tomorrow, only 3 left before I get it. :yes2:) and I was wondering what gun I should get.

Guns I'm looking at:

Walther P99QA Compact
Sig 229
Sig 250
S&W Sigma
Walther PPS

All guns feel good in my hand and I LOVE the USP. I rented the USP at my local range and it shot really nice. The only downside is it is expensive (I was quoted 779.99 New). I like the Walther's but they only come with a 1 year warrenty (which really blows). My Dad and Step-Dad have carried Sigs for the past 10 years in the police dept's they work for so I know they are dependable. And I shot a Sigma during my CCW class and it was...interesting to say the lease. By the way the guns are lisited in order of what I want (ie USP 1, Walther P99 2, Sig 229 3, etc...)

Really what I want to know is opinions on how to carry the guns I've listed, and If anybody carries these guns and any experience you've had. I've been HEAVILY READING the forums for a while now, along with other forums concerning the same thing.

Now the only thing I will say is that I don't really like Glocks. Just doesn't feel right to me when I hold it. That's all. I know the record of a Glock and I've seen, both in person and deminstration video's (Police Training Things) how good Glock's are, but I feel they are not for me.

You are asking a difficult question in that it all comes down to what YOU like and what you want to pay for. Personally, all of the guns you listed are good to great, but you will be carrying it and shooting it. If you have to try to spend a little more than you want. The Sigmas are cheaper (I have two), but they are not a Sig or Walther or HK. I don't believe Walther makes the P99 anymore, but even a slightly used one is an good choice. Probably one of the most versitile guns is the Sig 250. You can buy one gun and just mix and match parts and pieces with one trigger group. Buy what you really want and don't short change yourself on price for your first one, you will be happier in the end. Just my humble opinion.:biggrin:

Thank you for all your comments. I've narrowed it down to the USP 9 Compact and the Sig 250. I may just buy both (just not at the same time cause lets face it, thats a lot of cash.) Now for the second part, anybody who carries these guns, what is the easiest way to carry. (less chance to print, ease of drawing from holster, been the most comfortable).

For comfort and ease of draw, it would be hard to argue against OWB. I go OWB any time I'm not tucking in my shirt, which I only do while I'm at work or at a formal event (wedding, funeral, etc.) Even though I carry sub-compact, I use the full sized mags with the sleeve to make it part of the grip. My holster is a Blackhawk SERPA. I have grown accustom to wearing dark colored polo shirts made with a semi heavy cloth. Even with the essentially full sized grip, as long as I don't bend to my left, I don't print. A good belt also helps to pull that grip in tight against your waist. Of course, this will also vary depending on your body type.

Thank you everyone for all your help. I did get the USP 9 Compact, but now have to save up for the Sig 250. Girlfriend is not too happy bout that but hey, at least I'll be safe while I'm in the doghouse.:biggrin:. I get the gun on Wednesday, it cost 769.99 plus tax, cheapest I've seen around here in Southern Ohio.

Can't vote

So, I can't vote because my choice is not in the list. I'm sure any of these handguns would do just fine, but here's my vote:
Link Removed

It's a Rock Island compact 1911 in 45ACP. Slim, easy to conceal, reliable, and the RIA guns won't break the bank. AND it's a .45 :biggrin:

Guns I'm looking at:

Walther P99QA Compact
Sig 229
Sig 250
S&W Sigma
Walther PPS

Whatever line you get the Compact would be easier to conceal.

Don't base your choice upon warranties. It is a moot point. Choose the gun based upon how well YOU shoot it, not the opinion of others. Choose a gun that you can afford. Remember, you have to buy ammo to practice, a holster(s), additional magazines, etc (this can amount to a lot of $$$$$).

The S&W M&P is a better choice than a Sigma. There is a Compact version that is easily concealable. The grip can be adjusted to your comfort.

The Springfield Armory XD is another great choice. Its grip is ergonomic. It is a bit blocky but some people like the grip safety.

Sigs are great but thick, except for the 250.

Keep in mind that with the right holster, you can hide anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would suggest the Sig Sauer P250 in Subcompact for Conceal Carry, or even the P250 compact, which depending on where you live, may be an easier handgun to find. The Subcompact were just released this year and my local shop just received their first order on the Subcompacts and they only received 3, of whcih all three are now gone and they are on back order. It was pure luck with me, I was in the store when the UPS guy delivered them. So I gut it hot off the press, so to say. Heck mine was born on March 29, 2010! This is the first handgun I have ever owned that was that new. Usually they are like 1-2 years old. So I was rather excited.

Besides the hard problem you'll have finding a P250 SC, the other problem is finding a holster for it. Currently Fobus has a sale going on for their Evolution Series holsters for the P250. The price $10.00, with free shipping and no tax (live in VA). That is a savings of $25.99. You cannot beat that deal amy day of the week!

Good Luck

Gunny

PS: As others have stated, always try to test fire a range gun prior to purchase so you have an idea of what your getting into.IMHO:pleasantry:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back