a GUN drive

Rht4162

ok i had this thought, there are book and coat drives, how about a gun drive? not to just give away though. the way the drive would work is to get guns people no longer want, and repair them if needed or dispose of them safely. then they could use the donated weapons to TEACH people the proper ways to use a gun, and more importantly, show them the real danger and power behind them. i allot of kids these days dont appreciate the raw destructive power of one, i know i use to think they were all cool but then i held one, fired a round, and all that kid stuff went out the window. i understood the power of it. and as such i respected it and i now never ever screw around with any kind of weapons and wont tolerate anyone else who does.

just a thought

I totally agree our youth need to be taught about guns. I have said before, if they can to sex-ed in school, why not gun-ed.

i wonder if you would get shut down if a private citizen tried to do something like that for a school. i mean its like teaching kids about condoms, teach them how to use safetys and dont be surprised when they dont know how to because you never let them know about it.

i wonder if you would get shut down if a private citizen tried to do something like that for a school. i mean its like teaching kids about condoms, teach them how to use safetys and dont be surprised when they dont know how to because you never let them know about it.
It all depends on how it's done. The way to do it would be to start it as an after-school program unaffiliated with the school - gain enough support from friendly students and parents, and then start publicizing it at the school.

However, I think there does need to be some thought put into which kids are selected for such a program. That can be a very strange age to be at emotionally. You don't want to just sweep everyone in, and then end up with half a dozen gang members, or a kid with mental problems, which would destroy the entire program.

It all depends on how it's done. The way to do it would be to start it as an after-school program unaffiliated with the school - gain enough support from friendly students and parents, and then start publicizing it at the school.

However, I think there does need to be some thought put into which kids are selected for such a program. That can be a very strange age to be at emotionally. You don't want to just sweep everyone in, and then end up with half a dozen gang members, or a kid with mental problems, which would destroy the entire program.

and there in lies the rub, thats where a few bad people will muck it up for the rest of the people, more how do you screen out those people without impedeing their rights? maybe just a text class teaching about them and once or twice a field trip to a range so they can feel the power.

I took my son when he was 6 to a gun safety class at a local range when we moved to FL via NYC knowing that this state had lots of guns in the homes of people like us. I wanted him to be aware of that power. The instructor held ea kids hand a shot a 45. My son got what he needed. Respect for the use of that weapon.

Sean now 18 is my range buddy. I can't wait for him to come home from college so we can go.

My other lil guy 5yrs is another story. I wouldn't let this child get near an empty gun checked 100x.
Children are different and reach a level of maturity and understanding at different ages. We are just trying to get this one not to point toy guns, swords at anybody. He likes guns, he likes looking at mags with me. He asks what kind, whats the name. He is curious, to a scary level for me. Not all parents keep firearms in safe places. I am glad I home school.:biggrin:

I think your idea is great. Don't let the big idea scare you off. Start small, just start. Saving one kid, educating one parent will spread. Grassroots...

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back