A Friends Recent Encounter

mot mayhem

I met my friend at the range Friday nite. As we are loading, Adam proceeds to tell me his recent events. I noticed a new Glock along w/ his other, and he said that it played into the story. ( I knew he was looking at another purchase, but not that soon. )

Adam was walking in one of the beautiful Metroparks that day. Just casually strolling through the woods. He noticed a person walking towards him, and something in particular struck him as odd . The person was holding his jacket funny, so Adam was getting prepared. mentally, and physically. He's thinking about the rules of engagement, and he already has a good 2 1/2 outta 3. The other flashed open his jacket and Adam saw a pistol tucked into the waistband. (During this, Adam had unzipped his coat, and had his hand ready to rip up the shirt and draw.)So, Adam proceeds to tell the person as he (Adam) places his hand on the gun starting to draw ... all the while backing up.

"STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING, AND LEAVE ! I HAVE A GUN !"

At that point, while he is drawing.... or so he thinks, the BG is placing his hand on his pistol, drawing. Now, that's all he needs to truly confirm.

Adam snags his Colt Defender on his shirt. Not once, but twice. BUMMER !

Adam draws.... finally, points, and the BG takes off running.

After that, Adam called the LEO'S, and informed them. The BG was caught by the park rangers, and the local boys. Now, down to the parking lot.......

SUMMARY

The BG was a 17 yo male. The gun, was a toy gun. Although, he WAS planning on walking the woods trying to intimidate and rob. The one LEO was so pissed at the kid, that he unloaded his gun, and pointed it repeatedly into his face, yelling, and asking him if he knew what the F almost happenned, that THIS, just like Adam's was a REAL gun, and it could have killed him. I guess, from what was said, the authorities there were giving him a riot act.

Adam was congratulated, and told he did a fine job. He was shook up for awhile, especially at the fact it was only a kid.

WHAT WE LEARNED

I say we, because in him relaying the story to me, I also learned. He went right away, and traded the Defender in. As I stated previously, he was in the process of purchasing a new weapon. He decided upon a second Glock. He was contemplating for awhile on a .357 sig, but went w/ the compact .45.

I understand what some may think. He did practice with the Defender, but felt that in a crazy situation, the Glock would be better suited d/t lack of a hammer so as to minimize snagging. Seconds count, and luckily the way it played out, he was able to learn his mistakes, and how to correct for the future. There are many variables, but if you can eliminate some, why not.

I also learned from him talking to the rangers, that the parks are unfortunately not as safe as they used to be. I do know they have changed, but the rangers reiterated that there are many, many instances in the parks. Most are not known. There was an instance in the park just up the road where we used to live. The park was almost literally , at the end of my street. Just a mile away from our yard. We lived in a pretty peaceful, rural area. I am not ignorant, but just did not fully expect it at that one. Adam's park, was one I would be more suspicious of.

I informed my wife the next day that she was not walking in the park w/o either me, or the dogs.... preferably w/ me. ;) I also informed her, that she would get hers one way or another after the babe arrives. Doll was planning on it, but not as soon. lol

I thought Adam did well, under the circumstance, and am grateful for the fact I have not lost a friend in the process. I reckon that being a PK, the Man upstairs was really watching him.

........................ just thought I'd give all something to ponder
stay safe,
-- mot --

Last edited:
Lucky that where he lives, parks aren't "gun free zones." All parks in Tennessee are so safe, the legislature decided for me that I don't need a gun in a park.

Thanks mot mayhem for passing that story on.

Every once in a while I start to wonder if I have inflated the danger "out there" to justify my carrying. I pass joggers or other walkers and it's pretty clear that they don't carry guns.

I don't know if anyone else has these occasional thoughts but I confess I do.

This story reinforces that there is a clear and present danger
"out there" to anyone who is not prepared to protect themselves.

I'm reminded of the saying; "When seconds count, the Police are only minutes away!" :eek:

park

Thanks for sharing that story.It definately makes you think that no matter how prepared we are,something can always happen to throw a wrench into the operation.Thankfully it turned out all right for your friend and no one had to die because of the stupidity of a teenager.Here in florida,we are allowed to carry in the parks and that law was just passed not long ago.
And sarge,i carry most everywhere i go and no you aren`t paranoid for feeling the way you do,because i feel the same way.Better to have the gun and not need it,than to need it and not have it.Bad guys count on easy prey and show no prejudice in the spots they choose to commit a crime.

Scary stuff! I thought I was one of only a few who is aware of the dangers out there, glad to know others think like I do..

Lots of us . I think most stay below radar because it is not socially seen as normal.Most of us exterverts are trying to convert the stupid.

Thanks for sharing Mot! I think you're friend did just fine. He was able to determine the threat early enough to start analyzing a plan of defense/escape. Then, was able to react without hesitation. (Minus the wardrobe malfunction!)

You know he may have had someone looking out for him that day! If he would have been able to draw clean there may possible have been a dead 17 yr old. Even though he had every right to shoot, mentally and financially I think it couldn't have gone better. Hopefully, this scared this kid enough to turn him around.

Tell your friend +1 from me!

Last edited:
Post Subject

Looks like the kid picked on the wrong person. Perhaps he will be a little wiser, after this incident. Very interesting story.

Mot, thanks for passing along the story, there is a little lesson for everyone in it. That dumbarse kid was pretty lucky your friend was so cool and collected and he didn't wind up getting shot.

I hope that your friend is the last person who gets mugged by this person, but I won't bet money on it. This isn't a "confused stupid kid" we're dealing with here. Armed robbery, even with a toy gun, is a sign of severe social malajustment. He's already 17, so there just isn't time for him to get 'straightened out'. That should have happened when he was 8, and I'm sure the warning signs were there.

This is a sociopathic adult. Next time he'll have a real gun. I hope his next victim has one.

This is a sociopathic adult. Next time he'll have a real gun. I hope his next victim has one.

Amen!

Mot, your friend did well.That's easy to say, because he is alive and he won't have to defend himself in court. I am curious, though. How close did the BG get to him before turning?

Was this in the Cleveland Metroparks or something farther east like in Lake County Metroparks?

In addition to criminals, people have been attacked by coyotes and a pitbull in the Cleveland Metroparks.

Having pedaled my bike about 1800 miles down the Cleveland Metroparks bike paths this year, I've had lots of time to observe how oblivious most people are, especially those with Ipods plugged into their ears.

Last edited:
I am happy to know your friend is alright. He obviously couldn't have done any better. I am sure it would have been emotionally difficult to recover from shooting a 17 year old with a toy gun. However, he would have been justified in doing so. I am glad all went well and the kid was caught by the authorities. Thanks for posting his story. We must all be prepared as he was.

Amen!

Mot, your friend did well.That's easy to say, because he is alive and he won't have to defend himself in court. I am curious, though. How close did the BG get to him before turning?

I am guessing from what he was telling me it occurred around 10 - 15'.

Was this in the Cleveland Metroparks or something farther east like in Lake County Metroparks?

In addition to criminals, people have been attacked by coyotes and a pitbull in the Cleveland Metroparks.

Having pedaled my bike about 1800 miles down the Cleveland Metroparks bike paths this year, I've had lots of time to observe how oblivious most people are, especially those with Ipods plugged into their ears.

This incident occurred at Squire's Castle in Lake County. He had a similar episode from a drunk guy who was harrassing him and his girlfriend and was a threat at the Girdled road Reservation in Concord - that was the one about a mile from my old residence. The drunk guy kept getting closer, and trying to get at the girl. Adam got between them, backing them up while warning him to leave them alone. He kept coming, Adam told him he would defend himself, and that he was carrying. The guy kept coming, so he opened up his shirt, put his hand on his piece. The guy saw that, stopped, contemplated it for a minute ( stoopid drunk ), then growled and walked away.

Needless to say, as I said before, my wife is not going anywhere w/o me, or the dogs.... preferably me.

As far as pitbulls go, please do not assume that just because they are pits, they are all mean. That arguement in my book is similar to the antis w/ the guns. I have been raised around them, owned many, have 2 now, along w/ a mutt, and 1 cat ( down from 4 ), and NEVER had a problem. My uncle owns 2, my brother has 2, and a friend has 2 also. We get them together on a regular basis, and they all play. I know there are arguements either way, but in my opinion it all boils down to raising, breeding, and socializing.

I know this rant is off topic ( but, then again, it's my thread ), and I AM NOT starting a flame war w/ anyone. I have a passion for these misunderstood dogs. I love the breed terribly, and A-Holes like Vick give a once cherished, American mascot, & noble family breed a bad reputation. Any dog can be raised bad, just like kids. It takes love, patience, and dedication to properly raise another living creature. (They used to be called St. Francis Terriers, who was the patron saint of animals, and, the #1 family dog of the American settlers. They were bulldogs - a working class farm dog that did a wonderful job with the bulls, and protecting the family. It wasn't untill the gold rush that people really started fighting dogs and found they were kings in the ring. That goes mainly because of thier desire to please thier owners, which sadly is a downfall in that perspective. If you do what these people do to these dogs to any breed, I can guarantee ANY dog would turn out that way.)

...... off my box. sorry. really. anything pertaining to this subject in particular, feel free to PM me.

Last edited:
Glad it worked out well for your friend and hopefully the oxygen thief learned something and will not try that stunt again.

On a good note, I was paying my storage fee today, and had a lengthy chat to the owner about ccl's. He seemed rather interested in what I had to say, and would like more info on a class. I will probably stop in again in the next few days and give him some info on the local class. Maybe even take him to the range for an hour to try out a few guns to see what he is comfortable with.

First rule of a gunfight: bring a gun. Criminals have been killed trying to use fake firearms to intimidate people who have decided that they will take responsibility for their own safety. This kid ran into one of those people and he's lucky he made it out alive.

On a good note, I was paying my storage fee today, and had a lengthy chat to the owner about ccl's. He seemed rather interested in what I had to say, and would like more info on a class. I will probably stop in again in the next few days and give him some info on the local class. Maybe even take him to the range for an hour to try out a few guns to see what he is comfortable with.

Glad to hear this. Do try to follow up with him. Taking him shooting is a great idea. The more people we can teach, the more people on our side. Thanks Mot.

Last edited:
Your friend was blessed, he could be dead. The idiot teen was also blessed. He could be dead. "if anything can go wrong it will." I do like guns with the least amount of things that can go wrong. That is why I carry a HK P2000 SK with the LEM trigger. I also usuall carry some type of back up just in case.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back