A Few Tips on Home Security

Just love you guys that can't attack content so you need to attack character. Tells a lot about you.

Then I look up the threads that you guys that are instructors have started. Neither one of you have posted an educational thread. Do you not have an original post to help the mainstream gun carrying public? Or do you just trash material that may actually help someone?

Really? Most of this is word for word out of a Marine Corps Anti-terrorist manual for overseas duty?

Really, I'm not trolling you. But, your primary audience here is made up mostly of civilians. (Not Marines or Military)

The military & leo we have here are probably trained well enough that you're preaching to the choir. Is it your desire to help civilians, teach experienced civilians, military or leos; or are you trying to promote yourself for personal satisfaction or financial gain?

Maybe, you're just trying to pass along information?

I've got to agree that your stuff is very valid. But, you definitely come across to me and a few others in a somewhat arrogant & less than professional way. (You may be a professional & the best instructor in the country. But, you are NOT projecting that in your posts.)

Trust me, I don't mean to troll. But, I've done quite a bit professional business consulting over the last 30yrs and if you were my client I'd advise you to work or your public relation skills & online etiquette. If you're looking to influence & help people or promote your skill set, you want people to enjoy your writing & advice. (Correct?)

No offense, but if you really want to help, it appears you are turning more people off than you are attracting. You've provided some excellent info. But, your posts do have a twinge of arrogant blowhard, know-it-all in them; which causes you to come across more as an amateur or wannabe than the true professional you are.

I hope you are taking my post in the spirit it is intended. I'm sure you are every bit as good & credentialed as you claim. I'm just trying to offer you some "professional" advice that may help you.

Peace- :victory:

-

Really, I'm not trolling you. But, your primary audience here is made up mostly of civilians. (Not Marines or Military)

The military & leo we have here are probably trained well enough that you're preaching to the choir. Is it your desire to help civilians, teach experienced civilians, military or leos; or are you trying to promote yourself for personal satisfaction or financial gain?

Maybe, you're just trying to pass along information?

I've got to agree that your stuff is very valid. But, you definitely come across to me and a few others in a somewhat arrogant & less than professional way. (You may be a professional & the best instructor in the country. But, you are NOT projecting that in your posts.)

Trust me, I don't mean to troll. But, I've done quite a bit professional business consulting over the last 30yrs and if you were my client I'd advise you to work or your public relation skills & online etiquette. If you're looking to influence & help people or promote your skill set, you want people to enjoy your writing & advice. (Correct?)

No offense, but if you really want to help, it appears you are turning more people off than you are attracting. You've provided some excellent info. But, your posts do have a twinge of arrogant blowhard, know-it-all in them; which causes you to come across more as an amateur or wannabe than the true professional you are.

I hope you are taking my post in the spirit it is intended. I'm sure you are every bit as good & credentialed as you claim. I'm just trying to offer you some "professional" advice that may help you.

Peace- :victory:

-

I appreciate the advise. But if you knew me, you would never have that concern. Just please explain to me how this thread was in any way arrogant or less than professional?

Have you checked your House Security Lately

*Exterior Grounds
-If you have a tight hedge or fence, have you evaluated it as a defense against intruders?
-Is your fence or wall in good repair?
-Are the gates solid and in good repair?
-Are the gates properly locked during the day and night?
-Do you check regularly that the gates are locked, especially after repair and maintenance men leave?
-Have you removed poles, ladders, boxes that may help an intruder scale your wall, hedge or fence?
-Have you removed shrubbery from your gate, garage or near doors that could hide an assailant?
-Do you have lighting or illumination on all sides of your house, garage and patio?
-Have you considered putting your lights on a timer?
-Do you have lights on during hours of darkness?
-Do you check to see that all of your lights are functioning?
-Do you have dogs that would sound an alarm if they spot an intruder?
-Have you considered installing a video camera’s with recording ability as a deterrent?

*Interior
-Are your exterior doors made of metal or solid wood?
-Are your door frames built of solid construction?
-Do you have an interview grill or optical viewer in your main entrance door?
-Are your perimeter doors properly secured with heavy duty dead bolt locks?
-Are all your locks in good working order?
-Can your locks be bypassed by breaking a window pane or panel of lightwood?
-Do you permanently secure all unused doors and windows?
-Are your windows protected by steel bars, ornamental or some other types of shutters?
-Do you check all of your windows and doors at night?
-Are your windows secured by pins through the frame when closed?
-Are you as careful about locking second floor doors and windows as your first floor?
-Do you secure your sliding glass doors with a “Charlie Bar” or security bar?
-Are your skylights, roof latches or roof doors properly secured?
-Does your house have a security alarm?
-Is it monitored by an outside company or just a amplified sound?
-Have your briefed the whole family on proper security procedures?
-Have you verified references or done background checks on workers that you have at your house? i.e. Lawn personnel, pool service, painters?
-Do you restrict the number of house keys for your house? Where are they?
Are they all accounted for?

It was not until trolls started beating up the thread that I get cocky. With my creds and experience, yes I get cocky with trolls. One of the guys followed me to this thread to troll it. I know exactly what I am, who I am. When they start attacking me personnally vs. the content of the thread, I stop being professional.
These are the same guys I have seen do the same thing to other threads. I don't get it. You would think you either have something to contribute or you don't. Look at all my posts. I do not ever attack someone personnalyy on their thread. Especially if they are doing an educational thread.
But its the same people that troll threads that never have an original thought or post. It is to try to show their genious by attacking a poster.
Sorry I don't have patience for that.

Nothing arrogant at all with your advice! (It's really good.)

I guess "clinical" may be a better word. Most people don't respond well to someone just spewing out advice; even though that advice is wise and completely sound. I think that's really what I'm talking about.

Communication on the internet has do be done a little different than what takes place teaching a clinic or reading from a text book. I think for communication in forums like this to be the most helpful & effective, we need to use a little more tact & diplomacy when presenting it.

I hope that makes sense to you. Again, not trolling- just maybe trying to determine why you're getting a big push back by some members. :smile:

-

Nothing arrogant at all with your advice! (It's really good.)

I guess "clinical" may be a better word. Most people don't respond well to someone just spewing out advice; even though that advice is wise and completely sound. I think that's really what I'm talking about.

Communication on the internet has do be done a little different than what takes place teaching a clinic or reading from a text book. I think for communication in forums like this to be the most helpful & effective, we need to use a little more tact & diplomacy when presenting it.

I hope that makes sense to you. Again, not trolling- just maybe trying to determine why you're getting a big push back by some members. :smile:

-

I find the objections to the original post extremely humorous. Some people just feel like they have to gripe about anything they read. To dispel your theory, I am neither military nor LEO so I think I can speak for the "average Jane". None of the information given offensive or "ordering" someone around. It was designed for anything except to make people THINK.

I find the objections to the original post extremely humorous. Some people just feel like they have to gripe about anything they read. To dispel your theory, I am neither military nor LEO so I think I can speak for the "average Jane". None of the information given offensive or "ordering" someone around. It was designed for anything except to make people THINK.

No offense. But, the "Instructor" next to your name rules out the fact that you can speak as an "average Jane". Your view (like mine) is bias. Because of our extra training & experience, we can completely understand what the intent of the OP is. But, the "average Jane/Joe" can be turned off by such an approach.

I see nothing wrong in the OP's material or his delivery from my "personal" stand point. But, as a business consultant, coach & adviser, I do see where improvements can be made.

Peace-

ETA-
This thread is "Case in point" and backs what I and others are saying 110%!

The OP shared some excellent info. But, what has this thread been about?

By focusing a little more on delivery, the very helpful information in the thread would be solely about the GREAT info in the OP. But, instead the thread has changed course and no longer provides the help & insight the OP intended it to provide.

That's all I'm trying to say. :victory:

-

Actually it's titled tips and were all good tips to check for anyone that is concerned with home security. I do adhere to a majority of items on that list myself, thanks for the info.

The spare key one actually made me laugh, I thought I was the only one that did that. Even if locks are an illusion of security, it does keep the honest ones out.

I like usacarry a lot, but the "I know more than you" or the consistent bashing is getting old real quick. I opened this conversation out of curiosity but found frustration. Such a let down

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using USA Carry mobile app

I like usacarry a lot, but the "I know more than you" or the consistent bashing is getting old real quick. I opened this conversation out of curiosity but found frustration. Such a let down

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using USA Carry mobile app

OK then.......

Bye!

Sent from behind enemy lines.

It's hard to believe the moderators haven't deleted all your posts, Cypher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
It's hard to believe the moderators haven't deleted all your posts, Cypher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ditto. What a baiting condescending way to respond to somebody who took the time to put out some information that many of us will find useful.
Some realize that most security presentations are 5 minutes of valid information and 55 minutes of filler . Now consider what the OP laid out here. It's simple and to the point in bullet point style which is just what gets the point across in a way people can make use of and quickly decide what apples to them and address as needed. How much more do people need? Likely their name at the end for bragging rights........
As for the copyright thing, damn. All I can say is grow up, take your anger med or go find a therapist.

I didn't see anything wrong with the heads up reminder post... I didn't think of a couple things that was mentioned so it came in handy for me... Thank you Bttbob

Sent from my SM-G930T using Link Removed

Ok I’m gonna chime in and say no of that is relevant to my house I live out in the country and my dogs will sound and all the dogs on the mountain will let everyone know if there is someone or something that is not supposed to be there I do a nightly check before bed out both doors that are locked and trapped for people if they manage to get in all windows have triple locks and a weapon of many choices always within reach. Growing up in the city and my dad and step dad both Marines we learned threat assessment how to prepare and how to fight to survive also

Sent from my iPhone using USA Carry

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back