9mm won't protect you?

I am thinking one or more of you guys have purchased the movie Walking Dead and have been playing it way too much! :)

12ga 1.25oz slugs beats all. :biggrin: As for the 9mm vs .45 debate, meth heads have been shot any number of times by 9mm and not gone down until 18 or more rounds have been fired. There never has been that kind of article on a .45.
You're just not reading enough.

I know a man personally who shot a burglar in his bar with 7rds of .45acp and had to fist fight the guy until he passed out from blood loss.

I personally use a FsN 5.7x28mm firing Elite 28gr OTM @ 2600fps. 14" of tumbling and fragmenting fun for the whole family.

In it's test summary of the round, Brassfetcher Ballistics lab stated that round for round Elite S4 does slightly more damage than a 230gr .45ACP Hydrashok JHP....in a gun that holds 21rds of ammunition, with 30% less recoil than a 9mm.

And on top of it, it can easily defeat even Level IIIA body armor (which will stop a 240gr .44 magnum).

I personally think legacy caliber handguns are totally obsolete. In a couple decades time all military and police forces will be using 5.7mm type PDW rounds in their sidearms.

I would suggest that you might want to grab a copy of Personal Defense 2011 from Shooting Times. Compare a Federal Hydra-Shok 230gr .45ACP with any 9mm Luger round they tested. Compare wound cavities. The only one that comes close is 9mm Speer Gold Dot 124gr. The only one in .45ACP that was below the 9mm group was a Federal 230gr FMJ. Otherwise, all .45ACP tested did better than all 9mm tested except the Speer. None beat the 230gr FMJ for penetration though. 31+" in 10% gel.
Hydrashok is obsolete. I will take 9mm Corbon DPX over .45ACP Hydrashok any day when it comes to single bullet damage. Not to mention that any 9mm recoils less than .45ACP, making follow up shots much faster and more accurate. Oh...and 9mm's typically hold way more bullets.

There are numerous rounds in 9mm that will penetrate greater than 40" in gel. Doubletap 147gr+P TMJFN and Buffalo Bore 124gr+P+ TMJFN are two loads in particular that will do so.

In fact Buffalo Bore 100gr+P HCFN rounds will penetrate over 30" in ballistics gel.

Keep reading more books.

Hydrashok is obsolete. I will take 9mm Corbon DPX over .45ACP Hydrashok any day when it comes to single bullet damage. Not to mention that any 9mm recoils less than .45ACP, making follow up shots much faster and more accurate. Oh...and 9mm's typically hold way more bullets.

There are numerous rounds in 9mm that will penetrate greater than 40" in gel. Doubletap 147gr+P TMJFN and Buffalo Bore 124gr+P+ TMJFN are two loads in particular that will do so.

In fact Buffalo Bore 100gr+P HCFN rounds will penetrate over 30" in ballistics gel.

Keep reading more books.

As far as I am concerned, and for me, even though I own and shoot several 9's, 45's, 10mm, and a DE .44, the best man-stopper for me is my PX4 .40 S&W shooting whatever is in the chamber. Forget the ballistics tests and all that... simply because I am a dead-eye crackshot in rapid fire with the PX4. (Oddly enough, no matter how much I practice, I can never repeat the results with my other handguns, some of them costing much more.) Seems there's way too much argument about caliber and make of gun instead of stressing the point of 'the best is the biggest you can shoot well' consistently.

I respectfully disagree, shot placement is key. If I shoot the bg in the right spot (s) he will fall but I personally carry a 40 because in stressful situations you will need what we call ( 1 hitter, quitters )

2 in the chest and one in the head with just about any cal. will get the job done. And no it is not murder or overkill it is a standard that is practiced by ALL MODERN law enforcement agencys.
Bill

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back