Votes: 92 24.5%
  • I prefer a .40 S&W handgun

Votes: 175 46.7%
  • I prefer a different caliber

Votes: 64 17.1%
  • Well, it depends.

Votes: 44 11.7%

• Total voters
This is what sold me on what I think is best for me.

The wound cavity explains it all to me...10 mm beats all the rest. 40 cal bullet just a bigger shell and more powder. Works for me...

Link Removed

Nice photoshop.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Tough vote because I own both of these. My carry gun is a 9mm compact Desert Eagle, and my home defense gun is a .40 Glock 22. For everyday use I prefer the 9mm because its seems to be a little more accurate, but for the zombie apocalypse I would have to go with the .40 and give up a little accuracy for increased power since zombies are slow-moving targets :)

Tough to vote on this one, at present my EDCs are a sub compact 1911 and a G-27, but I also have 4 differant 9mms ???????????

The original picture is from some guy's photobucket account. I've seen many gelatin tests and bullets just don't make tracts through gelatin like the one depicted in the picture. The 10mm probably is a great round, but I'm calling bs on the pic.

Well, your entitled to your opinion. I seen this kind of "photoshop" picture on all kinds of forums. Some of them are colored for contrast. But do you really think that a 10mm "mag" round doesn't make a much larger wound cavity? Like a 38 cal. compared to a 357 mag. Same bullet just a larger shell and more powder. The 40 cal and 10mm is the same. More recoil, more blast and more muzzle velocity. Makes sense = more damage. Thats why the FBI went to the 40 cal, the agents had trouble with the 10mm round. There's more pics out there, just not colored for contrast.
So call BS all you want.

Well............preference is just that preference..................and is typically situational dependent.

You can look at all the ballistics data you wish to in ad infinitum.........but shot placement (actually being able to hit your intended target) still rules the roost.

My .02

Well............preference is just that preference..................and is typically situational dependent.

You can look at all the ballistics data you wish to in ad infinitum.........but shot placement (actually being able to hit your intended target) still rules the roost.

My .02

A big +1 on this

10mm

The original picture is from some guy's photobucket account. I've seen many gelatin tests and bullets just don't make tracts through gelatin like the one depicted in the picture. The 10mm probably is a great round, but I'm calling bs on the pic.

I shoot Hogs and Deer with the 10mm and the results are not BS. Respectfully from Texas :thank_you2:

"Well............preference is just that preference..................and is typically situational dependent.

My .02
A big +1 on this"

is there any general data on the average number of missed shots in defensive shootings?? an average of 4 misses before a hit or something like that??? if it is somethign like that in reality having more rounds would make more sense...i guess many 9mm and 40sw compact pistols now have only a two round difference , one may hold 17 while the other may hold 15. if the general number of misses is roughly the same for both calibers it makes more sense to have more rounds. but i expect fatalties and hits are reached before the 15 round mark in nearly all cases.

"Well............preference is just that preference..................and is typically situational dependent.

perhaps for a phillips or flathead screwdriver. for protecting oneself i doubt there is any significant difference between 15 rounds of 40 and 17 rounds of 9mm.

did anyclaim that 10mm effects are bs?? isnt it just a 40 with more stuff propelling it a littel faster at higher cost and harder to find??

perhaps for a phillips or flathead screwdriver. for protecting oneself i doubt there is any significant difference between 15 rounds of 40 and 17 rounds of 9mm.

did anyclaim that 10mm effects are bs?? isnt it just a 40 with more stuff propelling it a littel faster at higher cost and harder to find??
Dont have ant ballistics info but a 10mm is quite a bit hotter than a 40, reasons I did not keep mine is the ammo was tougher to get, both in cost and avalability, and limited choices on differant types of ammo, and we like to shoot a lot and if I was going to spend that much on ammo I'd have a 50 AE or a S&W 500,

Your right sthomper, 10 mm or as some call it 10 mm mag. Same caliber bullet same weight. Just longer shell and more powder in general. Much hotter load. It's not so much penetration as it is about size of wound cavity. Like a 38 caliber and a 357 mag, it's all about tissue and organ damage. If the bullet ruptures vital organs and blood vessels on the way into the body, the faster it will bleed out and stop the threat.

Of course this is just my opinion,
your mileage may vary.
Jerry

For me, it depends on the piece, not the ammo since a miss is a miss and doesn't do any good. If you're not comfortable with the feel of a gun, you won't do well. I do like an SR40 as much as the next guy, but I love the way the P99 becomes part of my hand. Just feels right. Unlike the Nano.

For me, it depends on the piece, not the ammo since a miss is a miss and doesn't do any good. If you're not comfortable with the feel of a gun, you won't do well. I do like an SR40 as much as the next guy, but I love the way the P99 becomes part of my hand. Just feels right. Unlike the Nano.

ruger webpage says the sr9 and sr40 have identical dimensions

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back