9mm vs 380acp

m.ritz

Ok, I know I'm most likely beating a dead horse here, as I'm sure this topic has been discussed several times on this site by now, but I am new to the forum and have an impossible time finding concrete answers to the debate of 9mm vs 380acp for concealed carry. I currently own a Kahr PM9 and absolutely love it. I'm certainly not an expert in guns, but I've shot enough different ones to know what I like. My dilemma... sometimes (say about 10% of the time) I either can't conceal my PM9 or can, but am self conscious the whole time thinking its shape is noticeable to others. I've been considering picking up a Kahr P380 since I love my PM9 so much, but money is an issue at the moment. I also have a Keltec p3at and don't like it at all. I'm tempted to sell the 9 and pick up the P380 for now so I have something of good quality that I can carry at all times, but most everyone I've talked to says don't do it. I would likely pick up another PM9 down the rd, but need a full time carrier now. There are SO many differing opinions about whether or not .380 is sufficient for personal protection. I don't know what to think. Thoughts anyone??

"I also have a Keltec p3at and don't like it at all."

Sell it and buy the .380

While the .380 wont have the energy the 9mm will deliver, it's big enough to do a lot of damage and kill.

I have also been thinking about my side arm printing but I have gotten used to it. Shorts, tee shirt, sandles and a S&W 9mm. I know it shows it self off and Ive seen others eyes snap to it. Really not concerned though. Its open carry here and I have my CWP so...

First, welcome to fold. I agree with G50AE to the point that regardless of what you carry, a "small" bullet hit is way better than a "big" bullet miss. But my question is, is a Khar .380 really that much smaller than a PM9. The PM9s I've seen look small ebough to drop in your pocket and forget it was there. My suggestion is, overcome your mental obstacles and stick with the PM9. I agree with your friends. If you sell it you will regret it. Sell the Keltec instead. As for caliber potency, all the "experts" I've read from and talked to say the the .380 is the minimum caliber sufficient for personal protection. So, will it do the trick? Probably, but rule of thumb says carry the biggest caliber and physical gun size you can with confidence. Comfort and compromise are the enemy of proper and efficient concealed carry.

When you look at the numbers, the 380 isn't much smaller, but when you actually hold them, you can feel a big difference. What I really want to do is just what you said, sell the keltec, keep the pm9 and buy the kahr p380 for those situations where the 9 just won't work. Ideally, I want both...

m.ritz:215523 said:
When you look at the numbers, the 380 isn't much smaller, but when you actually hold them, you can feel a big difference. What I really want to do is just what you said, sell the keltec, keep the pm9 and buy the kahr p380 for those situations where the 9 just won't work. Ideally, I want both...

Sounds like a plan...

I also have a PM 9 I carry, however I have a Ruger LCP I use at times. The LCP is light and easy to conceal . One thing I would do if you buy a LCP is go to gunsprings.com and get a set of 13# springs for the Ruger. The Ruger comes with a 9# spring and by installing the 13# it reduces felt recoil by 1/3.They do make the springs for the KEL-TEC but you may not like the Kel-Tec because of the trigger.

pmb61:215543 said:
I also have a PM 9 I carry, however I have a Ruger LCP I use at times. The LCP is light and easy to conceal . One thing I would do if you buy a LCP is go to gunsprings.com and get a set of 13# springs for the Ruger. The Ruger comes with a 9# spring and by installing the 13# it reduces felt recoil by 1/3.They do make the springs for the KEL-TEC but you may not like the Kel-Tec because of the trigger.

Do they make those springs for the LC9 also?

That is kinda like what I do, except I kept the Kel Tec. I have a Kel Tec P-3at and PF-9. The P-3at is smaller and easier to conceal than the PF-9, so depending on where I'm going and what I'm wearing, I have choices.

If it is winter, when I can wearing an overcoat of some type, I'll even move all the way up to my Glock 17 in a shoulder rig or my Glock 26 IWB.

It is good to have different options that you can work with, just make sure that you train with your options and keep mentally aware of which carry setup your using.

BTW, what did you not like about your Kel Tec?

My problems with the keltec are #1, it has jammed on me 11 times in my 1st 120 rounds through it. I'm sure I just picked up a rare defective one though. I sent to keltec, who is servicing it as we speak. Problem #2, is that I personally find the grip to be too short for me. I don't mind small grips. My pm9 has a small grip that a lot of guys don't like, but I love, so I'm not one of those "I like somewhere for my pinky" kind of guys at all. I do, however, like somewhere for at least my ring finger! That's 1 reason I want the Kahr p380, grip height is only a tenth of an inch shorter than pm9, so it's small enough to conceal, but tall enough to get a good hold on.

...that's another thing I like about picking up the Kahr p380 as my option 2 gun, mental preparation is minimal. Ergonomics and everything about design are identical to my pm9, it's just smaller for deeper concealment ability when necessary. Shouldn't take a whole lot of getting used to...

I have a Sig P238 (.380) and a Colt New Agent (9mm). The loaded 3" Colt weighs nearly twice as much as the loaded P238 and is more difficult to conceal in an OWB holster. Unless I'm wearing a jacket, I prefer to carry the Sig P238 because it's the easiest to conceal well. The P238 is also easy to carry in a pocket holster or in a SmartCarry...although draws from either of these holsters require much more practice than draws from belt holsters.

Ptoblem Solved

Kel Tec is a little pickey on ammo try critical defense or power ball they'll zip right through and both expand very well and the printing is no problem with the gun. so if the jamming is the problem just get new ammo and keep both guns you'll regret gettin rid of either gun

I have a Kel Tel to and like you I hate it. IT fail to fire and feed a lot. I have don't use it at all. I now have a Ruger LAP and a Ruger SR9C. I love both. The ammo for 380 is pricy, that's my only drawback.

It is good to have options. I prefer to carry a .45 lately, and I spend a lot of time with my Glock 30SF on my hip. Lately, I picked up a Glock 36 and love it to death. However, I had to go to a meeting yesterday where much of the clientel was not real pro-gun. In addition, my usual attire would be out of place. Since I was wearing a 5.11 holster T-shirt under my outer shirt, using the Glock 36 was out of the question. I ended up carrying a Beretta .380 and a spare magazine, and I did not feel the least bit underprotected.

I have the same question between trying to decide on whether to get the LCP or the LC9. I am not sure, I know the LCP would be easier to conceal.

good article gunnerbob... thanks. i am going to hang onto my 9, but think i will swap my kel tec p3at for the kahr p380. i agree, 380 can do what it needs to do and is better than nothing if u r in a situation where nothing larger can b concealed. about a week ago tho, i was out with my wife and 2 yr old son, and we went looking at an empty foreclosed home that we saw... empty as we thought. when we got around to the back, there was a very pissed off pitbull in the garage with only a screen door between us. he didn't, but could've come right thru that screen, and in the moment, i was very glad i had my 9mm on me rather than a .380!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back