9mm suggestions

burchesss

My wife and I are begining to look for a pistol for her to shoot and carry. I would like to stay with a 9mm for power, that she can still shoot confidently. she has shot a.40cal and my .357 but she really likes my brothers CZ75. We have not gone out and handled many yet, but we want to look at as many as we can. We were looking online at the tarus PT111 the size looks easy to CC yet still shootable.(my brother also has a kel-tec 9mm that I dont feel confident stooting) I am sure the recoil is more than the CZ because it is a lighter gun. We will also try to look at a CZ 75 compact.
What other guns do we need to be sure not to overlook? I dont think she has any big preferance to SA DA or DAO (I have allways liked the DA but thats what I learned to shoot on) We dont want to spend a ton of money (but dont want a POS gun either). Let me know what models to findso I can (Painfully) step aside and let her decide. Hey not choosing every gun we add to the colection in a small price to pay for a beautiful wife who shares your hobbies!

I don't know about you, but I'm always shopping on a budget. I think one of the best deals out right now is the Sig P225/P6 for about $250 (good condition) to $300 (excellent condition). It is a fantastic 9mm with no safeties, but it does have a hefty but smooth DA/SA, and a decocker lever. They are "compact" police trade-ins from West Germany, but they aren't that compact. 8-round single stack makes it a smaller gun, but it is large enough to comfortably shoot.

I also handled a FNP-9 recently and was very impressed. I thought the trigger was very good, and the stainless model was a good fit for my small hands. Also a very reasonable price of about $350-400 for a new gun.

I have a Sig 225 as well and it is a fine gun. The only drawback is it may be on the upper limits of weight and size for a woman to carry concealed. There are a lot of fine hand guns. I carry a HK but they are quite expensive. I would suggest going with something DBL or DBL only and no external safety. Less to have to remember. If you have a range that rents a variety of guns that might be a way for her to try different ones.

SW VA ranges?

Thanks as far as I know there are no ranges around that rent guns Anyone out there know of one in the south west Virginia area( New river or Roanoke valleys).Maybe I will start one,Anyone want to loan me a few million dollers to buy property and build a gun sture with a state of the art range out back?

Nevermind we beter wait till after the election to start out in the gun sales market.
It would be a cool job though.

Maybe you can get a uncle sam grant. Stating the reason to use all ammo up.Saw the little LDA para ord 9mm it is neat.

Last edited:
M&P

You may try out the M&P from S&W I have one and it makes a very nice CC gun. Just my 2cents worth.

You mention a CZ 75 compact. Good gun --it has a safety. The CZ 75 P01 has a decocker. They are basically the same gun but the P01 also has a light rail. At first I wasn't sure if I would like the decocker but I really like it better than a safety on that gun. It is also DA/SA which I also really like. In DA --the trigger pull is pretty long and hard to pull. With the decocker it is very manageable.
I like the fact that no matter where the hammer is--as long as you have one in the chamber--when you pull the trigger it shoots.
My P01 is also extrememly accurate and easy to clean.
Recoil is not bad.
BTW I recently had a lady friend who was looking to buy a semi auto. She had never shot one --only revolvers. I let her shoot a few of my guns and she loved the CZ p01 over anything else. She got one a couple months ago. I showed her how to field strip and clean the gun and took her to the range. She really loves the gun. She called later that night and was really proud because she had field stripped and cleaned her gun all by herself. She is 60 years young

I'm considering picking up a 9mm just for range days. While I prefer a .45 on most days, the cost of ammo has me considering a 9 for fun and general proficiency time.

My wife and I are begining to look for a pistol for her to shoot and carry. I would like to stay with a 9mm for power, that she can still shoot confidently. she has shot a.40cal and my .357 but she really likes my brothers CZ75. We have not gone out and handled many yet, but we want to look at as many as we can. We were looking online at the tarus PT111 the size looks easy to CC yet still shootable.(my brother also has a kel-tec 9mm that I dont feel confident stooting) I am sure the recoil is more than the CZ because it is a lighter gun. We will also try to look at a CZ 75 compact.
What other guns do we need to be sure not to overlook? I dont think she has any big preferance to SA DA or DAO (I have allways liked the DA but thats what I learned to shoot on) We dont want to spend a ton of money (but dont want a POS gun either). Let me know what models to findso I can (Painfully) step aside and let her decide. Hey not choosing every gun we add to the colection in a small price to pay for a beautiful wife who shares your hobbies!

get her a compact CZ75....duh :y:

I have a tz-75 9mm compact which is a chlone of the cz. feels better in my hand than the cz. shoots great. it has a steel frame which might be a bit too heavy. there is always a polymer baby desert eagle. baby eagle is another chlone of the cz and I must say has one of the best grips I have ever felt. very comfortable and the polymer frame would make it lighter for carrying. very accurate as well. good luck!

My wife is checking out many guns as well, specifically in 9MM.

I have a chrome finish Baby Eagle that she loves, but I do not give up my guns. I have had this one almost 20yrs. She likes the Taurus and also the Glock 26. She is going to do a final test at the range this weekend, and make a final decision.

The most important factor is how the gun feels in her hand, and the comfortability for carry.

Depending on how much size matters for your wife (hehe), I would take a look at the PX4 Storm. There are options for a safety and/or decocking lever.

There are 3 guns I would consider

1. Baby Eagle 9mm

2. CZ75 (AR-24 by Armalite)

3. HK USP 9MM

I don't know about you, but I'm always shopping on a budget. I think one of the best deals out right now is the Sig P225/P6 for about $250 (good condition) to $300 (excellent condition). It is a fantastic 9mm with no safeties, but it does have a hefty but smooth DA/SA, and a decocker lever. They are "compact" police trade-ins from West Germany, but they aren't that compact. 8-round single stack makes it a smaller gun, but it is large enough to comfortably shoot.

I also handled a FNP-9 recently and was very impressed. I thought the trigger was very good, and the stainless model was a good fit for my small hands. Also a very reasonable price of about $350-400 for a new gun.
Those P6's are actually really nice and in great shape. I picked up one for the wife.

Link Removed

CZs are great. I have a Taurus PT140pro and have not had the slightest hiccup from it. It has been 100% reliable. When my wife picked her 9mm she looked at several and chose the Springfield Xd9 subcompact. Good luck.

One thing worth mentioning is having the ability for husband and wife to be able to carry the same weapon. Same manual of arms, means same ammo, same mags, and same training. In other words, any training the wife does with her weapon = training with yours.

When you take into consideration today's defensive ammo, and the higher capacity of say a 9MM over a .45ACP in a compact or sub compact model, you are really not giving away too much.

Just some additional thoughts for consideration.

I have been reading on different forums about the Sig P6/225. It is the consensus of most owners that the P6 will not reliably feed hollow point ammo.

The gun was designed for the German police who only use hard ball ammo. The feed ramp may give you problems with defense loads.

The general agreement is to purchase a factory 225 barrel to fix this reliability problem.

Take a Kahr for a spin

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Kahr. I have a CW9 that's only 15oz empty and .9 inches across. a 7 round magazine is standard and I'm using 128gr +p hollowpoints.
I have fairly large hands, but this fits nicely. The gun is light but very controllable and accurate. Price is around 380.00 new at a show or gun store.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back