.45's!

Kramer1113

I just love the .45. Not saying the 9mm doesn't have its place but Darn it I just love that .45 thud.
That being said I just purchased the Ruger American .45 and the Springfield XD-s .45. I have yet to see any range time with these two firearms.
I do have a Ruger SR1911 that just chews the center out of targets and an FNP .45 that had a Bill Springfield trigger job done on and Wow, damn near 1911 perfection with a 3 1/2lb trigger.
I did a spring job on the XD-s (Thank You Galloway) and love the improved softness of the trigger and lack of GRIT in the blocker... range time will tell.
As a Prior service MP I carried a Colt 1911 that I can only assume came directly from 1911... kidding but I am amazed to this day (Some 33 years later) that the darn thing could shoot as well as it did. It rattled like a 1974 Pinto when I ran.
Anyway, I just love the .45 caliber and to this day believe that a good trigger makes a good shooter-ish... If you still hit 7:00 and 4:00 on range day, it may NOT be recoil fears your trigger may just suck. Anything (IMHO) over 5lbs is just heavy.
IF you are one of those peeps that believes that a heavy trigger will help you in not screwing up in a stressful situation... well... again, IMHO, put the gun down and return to your sheep lifestyle.

I am not sure what this thread is about.

He's just stating his opinions. Except for the last sentence, maybe. I read that as a invitation to argue.

Personally, I find that I disagree with him on a couple points.

For example, I've found that any reasonable trigger weight can be shot quickly and accurately. I define 'reasonable trigger weight' as up to 10 or 11 pounds or so. Even 12 is doable with reasonable accuracy if you are paying attention to technique and sacrifice a bit of speed. Much over that and the strain of pulling the trigger becomes a detriment to accuracy, in my experience.

Then again, I'm one of those 'old school shooters' that learned, in part, how to shoot handguns with a DA revolver. Wonders of Wonders, I learned how to shoot it double action, with speed and accuracy, with a 9 pound trigger pull. At the time, I thought that 9 pounds was pretty good since, back in the day, DA wheelgunners considered an 8 pound trigger pull to be 'light'.

Based on how much 'my trigger's too hard to pull to shoot accurately,' stuff I read on the internet, I guess the DA wheelgun shooters of days past were just tougher than we are today.

IN MY OPINION, if one has to have a '5 pound or less' trigger pull to be able to shoot accurately, I think that one might need to put on their big boy panties and set to getting stronger so they can actually shoot a gun with a reasonable trigger pull weight.

That's what I did back when I was learning to shoot DA revolvers. I was just over 6 foot tall, weighed 145 pounds and was shooting bowling pin matches- shooting Double Action- with a N frame Smith in .45 Colt using a 255gr Keith SWC running about 900fps from a 5 inch barrel. Never won a match but I never finish last either.

He's just stating his opinions. Except for the last sentence, maybe. I read that as a invitation to argue..

Well, I have lots of opinions too, but I am not posting them by incoherently rambling about them. So you think the OP is about trigger weight and accuracy? OK.

Personally, I find that I disagree with him on a couple points.

For example, I've found that any reasonable trigger weight can be shot quickly and accurately. I define 'reasonable trigger weight' as up to 10 or 11 pounds or so. Even 12 is doable with reasonable accuracy if you are paying attention to technique and sacrifice a bit of speed. Much over that and the strain of pulling the trigger becomes a detriment to accuracy, in my experience.

Then again, I'm one of those 'old school shooters' that learned, in part, how to shoot handguns with a DA revolver. Wonders of Wonders, I learned how to shoot it double action, with speed and accuracy, with a 9 pound trigger pull. At the time, I thought that 9 pounds was pretty good since, back in the day, DA wheelgunners considered an 8 pound trigger pull to be 'light'.

Based on how much 'my trigger's too hard to pull to shoot accurately,' stuff I read on the internet, I guess the DA wheelgun shooters of days past were just tougher than we are today.

IN MY OPINION, if one has to have a '5 pound or less' trigger pull to be able to shoot accurately, I think that one might need to put on their big boy panties and set to getting stronger so they can actually shoot a gun with a reasonable trigger pull weight.

That's what I did back when I was learning to shoot DA revolvers. I was just over 6 foot tall, weighed 145 pounds and was shooting bowling pin matches- shooting Double Action- with a N frame Smith in .45 Colt using a 255gr Keith SWC running about 900fps from a 5 inch barrel. Never won a match but I never finish last either.

Realize not everyone has the same physical abilities that you have and not everyone can attain them by "putting on their big boy panties and setting to getting stronger". I fractured my trigger finger two years ago on my shooting hand and I over extended my trigger finger on my non shooting hand on the same day in two different skiing accidents. Pulling a 12-pound trigger still causes me pain.

While a lot of skills can be attained with training, the wrong gear still can get in your way. The famous lack of accuracy of NYPD officers with their mandatory 12-pound trigger is just one example. It is a fact that lighter triggers provide more accuracy and heavier triggers impede it. Your personal experience just demonstrates that you have learned to shoot good with heavier triggers. You would be still shooting better with lighter triggers.

Wow, Your some mod **** around here eh? Do all posts need to meet your expectations? If you don't understand a post keep your mouth shut Ass Hole.

Sorry, but I read your OP mostly as caliber masturbation mixed with incoherent rambling. Instead of clarifying what your post is about, you answer with a personal attack. Classy!

As for your trigger comment, I actually agreed with you. A heavy trigger should never be used as an insurance against a negligent discharge. The NYPD is living proof.

PS: I reported your post as a personal attack. Let's see if the forum owner cares about his own forum rules.

So bofh is in hall monitor status again? Why is it you seem to think people write their ideas and opinions for your edification? You appear to be a contrarian of the highest order.

I'm so glad you are young and strong. I carried a full size .357magnum revolver for a lot of years, but eventually the massive trigger pull became detrimental. I put a 5 pound trigger on it, but it eventually was too much for accuracy even then. Then, for several years, I carried an XD compact .45 and loved it. But eventually, I could not shoot it WELL with just one hand, and control is the key to accuracy. I now carry an XD compact 9mm, and do not notice any problem with the trigger at all. I can shoot it very well, accurately, with both hands or either hand alone. I teach my students to carry the largest gun they can RELIABLY control.

Oh, I'm 70 years old and have arthritis in my hands. I'm a very big girl and don't need your condescending attitude. There are things I just can't do anymore, and us old folks have every right to carry what we can use best. If you think a 5 pound trigger - or anything else - is too sissy for you, don't use it. That's MY "opinion."

So bofh is in hall monitor status again? Why is it you seem to think people write their ideas and opinions for your edification? You appear to be a contrarian of the highest order.

I guess you just came to this thread to pile on to a personal attack and not actually to contribute anything. Can you identify the purpose of the OP?

Yes, I can identify the purpose of his post. He wanted to express his affection for the .45 ACP. It's his privilege and takes nothing away from you, but you find a need to make a sarcastic and condescending remark. So, if I'm "piling on", perhaps you need to assess the reason people take exception to your remarks. You are entitled to your opinion, Like everyone else. It's just that you seem to set your opinion above that of others and then poke a finger at them. For me, not something I care to see. If you have something constructive to say, do so. Otherwise, I have to ask, what is the purpose of your post?

Yes, I can identify the purpose of his post. He wanted to express his affection for the .45 ACP. It's his privilege and takes nothing away from you, but you find a need to make a sarcastic and condescending remark. So, if I'm "piling on", perhaps you need to assess the reason people take exception to your remarks. You are entitled to your opinion, Like everyone else. It's just that you seem to set your opinion above that of others and then poke a finger at them. For me, not something I care to see. If you have something constructive to say, do so. Otherwise, I have to ask, what is the purpose of your post?

Unlike you, I had something constructive to say once I figured out what the topic of the thread was. I ignored the caliber masturbation that typically leads to endless caliber wars.

Perhaps you need to asses why you feel the need to pile on, given that you have not contributed to the thread and the OP's personal attack against me was edited/deleted by the forum owner. Under normal circumstances, the forum owner would have temporarily banned the OP for making such remarks.

As for your last sentence, maybe you just need to work your forearms a bit since 5lbs is too much for you. Defensive triggers have their place, especially for guns without safeties. Plus I can shoot just as well with 8.5lb sd9 trigger as a 5lb glock.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

As I said before, a heavy trigger should never be used as an insurance against a negligent discharge, especially if you go full retard on a revolver. I thought I just leave this here:

Insurance against negligent discharge should be proper training and confidence in yourself to operate your weapon safely. But a heavy trigger pull doesn't hurt either.

Insurance against negligent discharge should be proper training and confidence in yourself to operate your weapon safely. But a heavy trigger pull doesn't hurt either.

It literally does for me. Read my previous post in this thread about my injuries.

There is no one-size-fits-all solution. If you can operate a heavy trigger and shoot fast and accurate with it, good for you. You will still be shooting faster and more accurate with a slightly lighter trigger.

It literally does for me. Read my previous post in this thread about my injuries.

There is no one-size-fits-all solution. If you can operate a heavy trigger and shoot fast and accurate with it, good for you. You will still be shooting faster and more accurate with a slightly lighter trigger.
Maybe, maybe not. A light trigger isn't everything.

As I said before, a heavy trigger should never be used as an insurance against a negligent discharge, especially if you go full retard on a revolver. I thought I just leave this here:

The video linked has nothing to do with how heavy or light the trigger pull of the gun is in DA mode since the first thing the halfwit did was thumb the hammer back to the short, light SA mode- with his finger still on the trigger.

That's a classic example of what happens when you combine arrogance, ignorance, incompetence and firearms. I think he needs to attend some firearms training classes- starting with one on basic firearm safety and handling- rather than trying to teach one.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back