mikestunner

whats a good 45 ccw i already got a kel tec p11 as a compact ccw so im considering a full size but im open to hear about compact 45's also....

I'm partial to the Smith & Wesson M&P45. Affordable for that caliber. Kinda big, but I carry it... I also have a Colt Officer's ACP 1911 that I love to carry as well..

The Smith and Wesson compact 1911 3" barrel is quite nice, but will run you close to $1000.00.. If not for my Colt, I'd have one of those..

Link Removed

Good luck...

I CC with a Sig 220. Kimber has many options for 1911 CC. Find one that you are comfertable with regardless. Quality counts. If it fits and works for you then you will carry it.

I was doing research on this myself. I have a Glock 30 and was looking at maybe getting a Glock 36. Glock 36 is one of the smallest more affordable .45s you can own (not it is not the .45GAP, but a normal .45 Auto). I read a post somewhere where someone though the G36 was a .45GAP, so I wanted to make sure that was clarified.

I personally am debating getting a Kel-Tek PF9 for a better option for shorts and T-shirt weather gun. I just don't know if I want to add yet another caliber to my stable.

Although I like and have several 1911's, I find the HK USP Compact perfect. The DA/SA firing function serve as a simple though fool-proof initial safety and has ease of accurate followup shots. Also target acquisition and accuracy I find un-rivaled "in my hands"

I carry this one 80% of the time Kel-Tec PM9

the rest is my G36 slim .45ACP

I would also recommend the springfield emp 40 if you like 40S&W or the micro operator in .45

or a Sig P250 sub in .45ACP also nice to carry.

I got all of them and they give me options. :pleasantry:

We're all different. One person's perfect gun is uncomfortable for another. I'm a 1911 fan, and I choose for ballistic reasons not to go shorter than a 4" barrel. My Kimber Pro Carry (or a LW Commander) is my chosen compromise. You may choose differently. In fact, don't rule out an alloy framed full sized 1911. Depending how you carry, barrel length may not be a big factor in concealability, and that frame still saves a bit of weight.

I have just started carrying a Colt Defender, 1911. Great shooting gun, a bit pricey but it is a Colt.

I came across a great deal on a trade (non firearm item) for a Colt Officer's ACP. Here in MA trying to find a Colt for sale is tough. I'll not be inclined to let it go. Colt is hard to beat for a good 1911...

I too am in a bind. I have 2 40's and have been considering a 1911. I am not worried about how well it conceals I will just OC it. I have the XD40 and I think its great and could only imagine its 45 counter part would be awesome SA only but has the grip safety. When I am holstering and unholstering (not drawing) I rotate my thumb to the top of the slide which prevents the grip safety from being disengaged, lowering the chance of a ND, of course Condition 1 is the only way to go for me.

Check out the Springfield Armory XDM-45. I personally am going fot the XDM-40, but currently carry an SA XD-45. The XDM models feature a compact match barrel (.40 S&W has a 3.8 inch match barrel.) Best of luck.

marionandjohn, I carry a Springfield Armory XD-45 daily in a Blackhawk Serpa holster. There is no need to rotate your thumb to the top to prevent disengaging the grip safety. When I grip my pistol, I have already got a good firm firing grip on it. When the index, or trigger, finger presses the positive retention release and I draw, my finger is alongside the frame, where it belongs. Should I then need to fire, my finger slips down into the trigger guard and pulls the trigger. The SA XD has a Safe Action trigger safety. Both it and the grip safety must be depressed for the pistol to fire. By using your unusual technique, all you are doing is slowing down the presentation of your pistol. Get a good firing grip on your pistol, and don't worry about the grip safety being depressed, it won't mean a thing until you pull the trigger. BTW, on a recent episode of Steven Seagal, Lawman, Deputy Chief Seagal was preparing to go on duty. I noticed he was carrying a Blackhawk Serpa, and he holstered the pistol several times rapidly, testing the function. Great holster.

Ive been mulling this same question over in my head and I think Ive decided on the S&W 1911PD. Light weight, custom shop features, awesome gun!

Peace of the Rock..

I have both a compact and a full sized Rock Island 1911 in .45. The compact is my usual carry and the full sized sits on my night stand. Great guns, reliable and dependable and, most important, AFFORDABLE!

Link Removed

Link Removed

I too carry a High Standard Officer Model .45 made by Armscor (same manufacture as Rock Island Armory) and I would feel naked without it. Its recoil is a bit "snappy" but not uncontrollable. Again, the price was right for a well made, albeit inexpensive, personal protection device.

Hans

I carry the same gun all the time. In the same place all the time. That way I know what it is and where it is, under stress the mind works funny, but your muscles don't forget.

My choice is compact. Make and model are a matter of choice.

It is easy to conceal summer or winter.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back