40s&w or 45acp

For a little background info on my decision, I will say my first gun ever was a Taurus PT145 in .45 ACP. I loved the caliber, and how the gun felt for that matter, just not the gun. I ended up carrying a Kahr P40 for the last year and a half and all in all, its a great firearm and a great caliber... but I just put a new Kimber on layaway in .45 ACP and will be going back to the good old .45.

Don't get me wrong, I love the .40 S&W, and am confident in it's ability to protect me and my ability to use it in such a manner, but I can handle the .45 ACP just as well, and if I'm going to carry a pistol with 7 rounds in it, it might as well be a .45 ACP if I can manage it comfortably!

I have shot more handguns than I could even bear to remember, and my two favorites are always .40 and .45, and for wheelguns its always the .357 magnum... but the .45 pulls me back in every time.

1911 in 40S/W

Good Evening fellow shooters,
Has anyone here own or owned a 1911 in 40 calibe? If so, what make and model ?
what was your opinion on performance and reliability? And do you still have it ?
Any information would be greatly appreciated. ZF

what was your opinion on performance and reliability? And do you still have it ?

The only onrs I know of are "Custom Competition" guns. I used to own a Springfield 9mm. Fine gun, but I found it left something lacking in excitement. Sold it and bought a 45.

Good luck.

I don't trust reloads and therefore have not bothered taking on another hobby. That said I have shot thousands of 40 S&W through my Glock 22, 23, and 27 all factory self defense or target not so much as a hiccup to this day. Just food for thought I trust my Glocks if my life would ever depend on them.

I don't trust reloads

Ya know, I don't either. That's why I shoot reloads at the range and occationally get to practice clearing jams, but when I leave, my gun contains Winchester SXT or MagSafe. With as much as I shoot, it is economically needed that I reload. When it comes to trusting your life, I think any Premium grade ammunition is fine as long as you feel comfortable and trust it.

Law enforcement uses 9mm and 40 cal. 40 has the same ballistics as the 45 but the shell is smaller which means more bullets in the mag. I've owned both and prefer the 45 for the fire power and target shooting. 9mm probably a better choice for self defense and CCW. Some will disagree but a 45 is definitely a 1 shot stopping power and will through one target into the next. Good luck in court if you hit more than the assailant or intended target.

Para-USA makes full sized 1911s in .40 S&W.

Rent both and see which you like better. If you like both, prioritize which one you like better. I held out against .40 S&W for so long until I found a pair of S&W CS40s a couple of years ago. Now I want some 4014s, 4040PDs and 4006s in my collection.

Yes, this does get addicting so be forewarned.

As for reloading, I'll do it for practice but never for carry. I'll spare everyone rehashing that debate again.

Law enforcement uses 9mm and 40 cal. 40 has the same ballistics as the 45 but the shell is smaller which means more bullets in the mag. I've owned both and prefer the 45 for the fire power and target shooting. 9mm probably a better choice for self defense and CCW. Some will disagree but a 45 is definitely a 1 shot stopping power and will through one target into the next. Good luck in court if you hit more than the assailant or intended target.

I can think of a few LE agencies that use .45 ACP and a couple that use 10mm. There's one list member that's convinced that there is one LE agency that has an officer that carries a .50 AE. I have yet to verify this fact. "Netentity" knows who I'm talking about. :biggrin:

gf

I can think of a few LE agencies that use .45 ACP and a couple that use 10mm. There's one list member that's convinced that there is one LE agency that has an officer that carries a .50 AE. I have yet to verify this fact. "Netentity" knows who I'm talking about. :biggrin:
LVMPD and HPD have an approved list to choose from. There's an article that I have saved from the LV RJ many moons back called the "Guns of Metro"; .38 special, .357 magnum, 9mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP were all on the approved list the two predominate makers being Glock and S&W.

LVMPD and HPD are required to purchase their own side arms. You can request a variance. The standard issue side arm for LVMPD back then was the S&W 5906. I do not know what it is now. If I get a Nevada CFP class audited by LVMPD and I know they're LVMPD, I'll put the officer or investigator on the spot and ask them during class, pick their brains for department procedures on ambiguous portions of the NRS. I call it value added guest input. :wink:

I have seen CCSD PD carry Glocks and Beretta 92Fs.

I do know this...there are no .50 AE LEOs packing here in Vegas Valley. A coworker of mine dumped his .44 Desert Eagle because it was a jam-o-matic.

Yes I remember who you're referring to, GF. :wink:

On my last trip to "The Strip", I noticed the LVMPD guys on bicycles (bright yellow polo shirts) had either Glock 17 or S&W 5906 pistols as their sidearm.

Here in PRHI, the "standard issue" sidearm is the S&W 5906 as it is with State Sheriff and most other LE agencies across the state. Exceptions are State DLNR Enforcement, they carry the Glock 22 as their standard sidearm. Same goes for Maui PD and Kauai PD. I've know a few Honolulu Police Department SSD (Specialized Services Division - HPD equivalent of "S.W.A.T.") officers carry a couple of different models of Sig Sauer, specifically the P226 or P229. The approved list of "supplimental calibers" include .380 auto, 9mm, .38 Special, .357 Mag, .357 Sig, .40 s&w, .45 ACP and 10mm.

Don't know of any LE agency here in PRHI who are authorized to use the .50 AE round.

gf

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back