3step law

sb57fury

I wish the state of tennesee had a 3 step law like Florida does.
In Florida you can carry loaded handgun in your car but it has to be in a snaptight holster and stored in your glove box.

Yeah....one of the "funny" things about TN law. If someone tries to break into your occupied car (carjacking) you have the same presumption of fear of death or serious bodily harm as if they were breaking into your occupied house. But there is no lawful way to carry a loaded firearm in your vehicle without a Handgun Carry Permit.

Hopefully this is something that will be addressed by the near future.

Or like Kentucky, as long as it's in the GLOVE BOX it's 100% legal to carry, locked and loaded. Of course if you have a Concealed Carry license, you can do pretty much whatever you want. ;-)

3-steps laws are stupid... Why would you even think about that bullcrap? BTW, the ONLY way to get the laws changed is to contact the people who make them and tell them about your frustration with the current law. It does work occasionally. Tennessee is a pretty conservative state, it probably wouldn't be too hard to get laws like those changed.

That's my two pennies...

In Florida you can carry loaded handgun in your car but it has to be in a snaptight holster and stored in your glove box.

I don't understand your desire for a three step law (BTW I did not know FL has such a thing). In SC you can carry one in the glove box or console with or without a permit loaded or unloaded. Nothing about a three step law that I know of.

There is no "three step law" in Florida. The whole thing is a rule of thumb if you can even consider it that.

There is no "three step law" in Florida. The whole thing is a rule of thumb if you can even consider it that. Nor does it necessarily have to be in your glovebox (see below).

790.25(5)
POSSESSION IN PRIVATE CONVEYANCE.—Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012.

790.001(17)

"Securely encased” means in a glove compartment, whether or not locked; snapped in a holster; in a gun case, whether or not locked; in a zippered gun case; or in a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to be opened for access.

--

Nothing is mentioned in law about a three step rule. And just because it is "three steps" doesn't necessarily mean it's legal either.

For once I like NY's law. You have a license to carry concealed, you have a right to have the loaded weapon on your person. Unless of course your in Bloomberg county.

Its hard to explian but in Florida you can carry a loaded handgun in your car with out a permit but it has to be conviened in your glovebox, briefcase , shoebox, console and a zipup pouch. I wish Tennessee would have the same thing as Florida.

FL has a locker room smell (swamps), hurricanes, piss poor gun laws, and all those dayum yankees who retired there ... the MANY reasons to never set foot in FL.

Thank goodness for the good life in Tennessee.

sent from my sending device

No steps, but there are three conditions, if all met, you can legally stop a threat.
  1. You are in a place where you have a legal right to be.
  2. You are meeting force with equal (deadly) force
  3. To stop an immediate forceable felony (treason, murder, manslaughter, sexual battery, carjacking, home-invasion robbery, robbery, burglary, arson, kidnapping, aggravated assault, aggravated battery, aggravated stalking, aircraft piracy, or unlawful throwing, placing, or discharging of a destructive device or bomb any other felony which involves the use or threat of physical force or violence against any individual
without florida ccwp=The gun must be securely encased (buckled/snap holster, zipped case, latched case, etc). And it cannot be readily accessible, ie: within quick reach of the occupant. Loaded or unloaded doesn't matter - just the two factors above. Does that equate to some steps, yes - but there is no legal definitive step requirement.

some tid bits i found ^^^^^^^^^^^^

It's been a long time for me, but the way I understood it was the gun had to be in the glovebox/console and the ammo had to be in the trunk or lock box away from the gun. Unless you have your CCP, then you can carry loaded on your side or where ever.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back