1st gun, Home Defense, 12 Gauge or Handgun?

Friends, Could you please guide me to the right home defense shotgun load for a 20 Gauge.

HK4U,

IF i was ever in the unfortunate position of having to TRY a "head shot", it would NOT be with ANY handgun/shotgun.

i would use my M1 Garand or my Model 7400 Remington in .243.

once more, a handgun at NIGHT is NEARLY worthLESS, as you cannot be sure of seeing the sights if it's DARK.
(yes, my P6 came with Tritum sights, but they are NOT suitable for anything but "low light conditions".)

yours, TN46

itg452,

the #4Buck, 2 3/4", 12 guage, shells have 27 pellets. out of my shotgun at 15 yards, i get a 36-40" (nearly round) pattern.

#4 buck does NOT usually penetrate BOTH sides of interior home walls, with enough remaining velocity to cause serious injury or death.
otoh, #4 Buck will "ruin your whole night", if you get hit with a few of those "blue whizzers".

yours, TN46

I tried them but my 1100 likes the #1 Buck better.

At 17 yards (the maximum long range shot I'll have indoors at the house-that's the length of 2 rooms and a hall), I can keep all 20 pellets from a Federal 2 3/4" plated #1 Buck in the black of a Hoppe's 100 yard rifle target and the 16 ball unplated Winchester and Remington loads pattern even better!

I vote for the shotgun. I have a Rem 870. Wait until you save enough money to get the handgun you want which will give you more enjoyment when out at the range. In the meantime you can protect yourself, family and property now with the 870 which will give you home defense options. Good luck

HK4U,

IF i was ever in the unfortunate position of having to TRY a "head shot", it would NOT be with ANY handgun/shotgun.

i would use my M1 Garand or my Model 7400 Remington in .243.

once more, a handgun at NIGHT is NEARLY worthLESS, as you cannot be sure of seeing the sights if it's DARK.
(yes, my P6 came with Tritum sights, but they are NOT suitable for anything but "low light conditions".)

yours, TN46
YouTube - Gran Torino - Get Off My Lawn _HD

Holy thread revival batman!

I must say that i wish i had a M1 Garand to go for in any situation; wouldn't have to worry about missing at close range.

Either way i need to see that movie, i was going to rent it the other day but i forgot.

901-memphis, did you ever get something? I'd love to hear what you decided. I ended up with both a 12ga pump shotgun and a 9mm pistol since niether of them cover all scenarios. :girl_wink:

901-memphis, did you ever get something? I'd love to hear what you decided. I ended up with both a 12ga pump shotgun and a 9mm pistol since niether of them cover all scenarios. :girl_wink:

+1. One size or type does not fit all. Some times the shot gun is the best choice some times the hand gun. Different firearms for different scenarios.

Ya i thought i posted it in this thread. I got a S&W SW40VE handgun

I was going to get a shotgun, but the safes i wanted that had quick entry for long guns were very expensive, i got a nice safe for $140 that holds many handguns.

I am also in the process of getting my CCDW license and the shotgun wouldn't conceal so well.

Just e-filed my taxes, so i will be making a purchase when it direct deposits, this web site took less than a week last time. :)

Get with buds,and buy a NEF pardner 12 gauge pump, we got one last week went to the range Saturday, and had a ball, one thing I can honestly say is, there is no common handgun, 9mm, 40, 45, 38 spc, 38 super, even a 44 mag that is going to stop a BG as fast as a 12 gauge shotgun, no matter what its loaded with, personaly I load it with a mix of OO and # 4 buck, I think there $180 - $190, then get your self a inexpensive 22 to go to the range and play with, both can be had possably for not much more than $300

My tax return was already spent, i have no money left and already purchased the handgun.

Once again i couldn't find a longgun safe that i was happy with for the right price. Dial combinations are not my style.

Another plus for a hand gun. If one gun is all you can afford at the time try carrying a shotgun to the mall, grocery store or movie theater with you. For me that makes a big plus so if I am going to have only one gun it will be the handgun.

Im torn on this one. I would honestly agree with some of these guys, Id get the pistol, less surface area for the BG and yet when/if you decide to get your CCW, you have a weapon ready to carry. Then again, just the sheer sound of a shotgun racking is enough to scare the sh*t out of any intruder, and you dont have to be extremely accurate to hit the purp. Shotguns are usually cheaper to load than a pistol, then again in some cases at a distance, the pistol is the only thing that will hit, unless you buy slugs.
Either way, the choice is yours. Good luck.:to_pick_ones_nose:

I still want a shotgun, but the cost of a good quick entry safe plus the shotgun would be more than i can afford. If i do get a shotgun it would be next taxtime.

"...then again in some cases at a distance, the pistol is the only thing that will hit, unless you buy slugs. "

Do you live in a castle? The furthest distance I would be shooting in my home, which is not really small, is 21 feet. We are talking Home Defense in this post: 1st gun, Home Defense, 12 Gauge or Handgun ? and not your typical forum post "what if I get ambushed by 15 Gang-Bangers in an empty parking lot" scenarios.

No single projectile has a really established "for sure" put down except for a shotgun slug. A load of aimed OO Buck at 21 feet is going to rip your home invader apart and put him down.

As the scenario was for optimum home defense, carry options are not even part of the post.

If you let the BG get close enough to grab the gun, most people here (including myself) are not Martial Artists and so you have already lost. In a HD scenario you make the BG come to you, you control the environment, after all it is your house! He is moving, you are in defensive position: it is your ambush!

901-
You may want to consider buying an inexpensive ($100+) key entry safe. You can keep it in your bedroom closet and locked during the day. But at night when you're about to go to bed, you can unlock it for faster access.

This may not be the best solution; but it is a possibility.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back