ArmySoldier

Hey guys, ArmySoldier here. I was just looking for some input. I have a buddy in the navy (honest mistake) that I work with who is dying to get a 1911. However his wife is limiting the budget. I suggested a Kimber but was looking for some more options before I drag him to the couple of guns stores. Which are few and far between up here in northwest Maryland.

Used older Kimber or springer or wilson lots of good old guns out there.
See...doesn't that make sense? But no, he has to have a new one. To be honest, I don't think he will ever put more then the first box of 50 through the thing. I guess I need to sit down with him and look online. He doesn't want chrome.

Had to comment... My Best Friend was in the Navy, but I talk to him anyway. Former 11B4X here. Welcome aboard.
I'm in a joint command, so we all make fun of each other. Electronics technician, paratrooper, Special Forces identifier, SERE qualified...and now live the easy life at Camp David.

He may change his mind once he looks at the price tag on some of the 1911s out there. I have to agree. If he is only going to shoot it once (or once in a blue moon) I would talk him into a used one. But if he has his hart set on a new one I would get the Kimber, I have one and it is an outstanding 1911.

If he is looking at a budget 1911, I might suggest the Link Removed.

It comes in chrome and black and is typically cheaper than Kimber and other known brands - surprisingly, it's quite well made.

Link Removed

There are so many 1911 frame weapons out there it's unbelievable. Best thing to do is hit all the gun shops and if any gun shows are in the area take him there. I just bought a Colt MK IV Officers ACP 45 a couple days ago. I found it in a Pawn Shop. It was 98% less than 50 rounds through it. An older gentleman couldn't pull the slide back any more and he traded it in for a J frame wheel gun. I got it for $500 including tax! I've seen guns new in the box that were 98% and mine looks as good as a new one.

How Cheap of a Price are we talking? I own a Rock Island Armory Government model. It has Iron Sights and will only shoot FMJ's. I paid about $400. for it. That was a few years ago. I know that the newer models come with or without fixed sights now. gives a little more info than I can.

Tell your friend that if he buys buys a quality used gun he is going to be gettting more bang for his buck.

I have bought several used guns over the years most have not been fired very much at all and in some cases they are like a new gun.

Also a quality gun is like a well made car it is designed to last a long time. However the re-sale value soes go down after the first owner just like a used car. However unlike a used car most people do not put very many rounds through their guns so it is really a much better deal.

I would take a quality used gun over a cheap new one anytime.

I bought my Kimber used, and saved about $150. It had only had about a hundred rounds put through it and for the life of me, can't figure out why the other guy didn't like it.

I have read good things about the Rock Island 1911s. I have an Auto Ordnance I have been quit pleased with.

Hey guys, ArmySoldier here. I was just looking for some input. I have a buddy in the navy (honest mistake) that I work with who is dying to get a 1911. However his wife is limiting the budget. I suggested a Kimber but was looking for some more options before I drag him to the couple of guns stores. Which are few and far between up here in northwest Maryland.

www.gunbroker.com has some good deals too. I've never searched for a 1911 on there, but I'm sure the have them. The only downside to Gunbroker is that you have to pay an FFL usually around $25 to do the transfer.

I have read good things about the Rock Island 1911s. I have an Auto Ordnance I have been quit pleased with.
Rock Island 1911 is probably the best for the money. A little TLC, a ramp job, a trigger job and you can shoot anything you feed it. All Colt parts will fit it so it can be set up any way he likes.

The Taurus Pt 1911 comes in blued or stainless not chrome. But it is a nice firearm and several hundered under the kimber.

I've got the Taurus and it's really worth the money. It may not be as "cool" as the Kimber, but it's been really reliable. It comes with a lot of standard features that usually add to the price of a gun and I've had absolutely zero problems with it. I'll still buy a Kimber one day, but I won't be getting rid of the Taurus.

I would second the motion on Taurus. I don't own a Taurus 1911, but I do own 3 other models. A PT145 Millennium, A 24/7-C Compact 9mm, and a 24/7 OSS 9mm. These are all totally reliable, accurate, and were easy on my pocketbook.:yes4:

Whats expensive.....you can buy a new Colt and S&W for a bit over $700, a new Springfield or Ruger Phoenix for a bit over $600.:cool:

New Threads

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back