16yr. old girl's 1st rifle

blacksheep82

blacksheep82
Any opinions on what to get my neice for her first deer hunting rifle? My SKS is a little too much for her to handle (she's petite). I know more about handguns than I do long guns, so any suggestions would be appreciated

Any opinions on what to get my neice for her first deer hunting rifle? My SKS is a little too much for her to handle (she's petite). I know more about handguns than I do long guns, so any suggestions would be appreciated

Please understand what I'm going to suggest, is because I just got done going though several rifles with my granddaughter, what about a AR, light weight, very low recoil, and enough knock down power to get the job done, if your wanting something stronger poss a 308 model, if she is petite any conventional hunting rifle, 308, 30-06, even a 30-30 kicks hard is going to hurt when she fires it, and I'm not going to insult you by saying get her a 22 criket, poss a 243 with a long barrel may be ok, but generaly any 30ish cal rifle with a soft recoil is to heavy for a little girl to carry around

I think the .243 Winchester is a pretty good choice for an all-around rifle that should fit her needs.

A .243 is a very manageable caliber. I believe Remington is making an AR platform in .243 or .270 which would be very suitable for those needs.. Whatever she gets just make sure he's comfortable with it. Hey she may like shooting your SKS I'd have her try a few and see what she likes.

An AR-15 would be a good choice if it is legal in youe area... Get a good round such as Hornaday's American Whitetail... If .223/5.56 is too small, another option is the AR-10 and its variants... Again, a good .308 WIN cartrige such as Hornaday's American Whitetail would work just fine. If it is that AR's are illigal, or out of your pricepoint/budget, look at the Ruger American Rifle, .308 WIN would be a good choice, if that has too much recoil for her, then look at the just announced (as of today, 1/3/14) .223 REM variation of it... The nice thing about those, is that the action is nice on it, it shoots really well, and it is really affordible (around $199-230ish new). If you go with the AR-15 get Nikon's P-223 scope, and you cannot go wrong... With the Ruger American, if you go with the .223 version, get the P-223 scope. If you go with the .308 version, get a Nikon 3-9x40 or 4-12x50 scope, and you will have a nice platform for a hunting rifle.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back