10mm

The Shootest

Hi
What Would be advantages and or disadvantages to using a 10mm for your carry gun? Instead of like 9mm,40,or 45acp.

Hi
What Would be advantages and or disadvantages to using a 10mm for your carry gun? Instead of like 9mm,40,or 45acp.

IMO it depends on what you are most comfortable shooting. If you are most comfortable with a 9mm, then I would use the 9mm. To me, it is better to be accurate and comfortable with a smaller caliber, than uncomfortable and wild with a larger caliber. A 9mm can be just as effective with a well placed shot.

You may want to look into size and weight of the firearm if this an issue for you. If you are a large person with large hands, a small firearm may be awkward for you to use properly. Personally, I say carry what you are comfortable shooting and carrying.

Hope this helps!

~Capo~

IMO it depends on what you are most comfortable shooting. If you are most comfortable with a 9mm, then I would use the 9mm. To me, it is better to be accurate and comfortable with a smaller caliber, than uncomfortable and wild with a larger caliber. A 9mm can be just as effective with a well placed shot.

You may want to look into size and weight of the firearm if this an issue for you. If you are a large person with large hands, a small firearm may be awkward for you to use properly. Personally, I say carry what you are comfortable shooting and carrying.

Hope this helps!

~Capo~

I agree with this.. it's not really about the caliber anymore. so many advances have been made to ammo that high performance should be expected in any caliber. 10mm is pretty much a .40 with extra kick. the bullet gets an extra couple hundred feet per second but the recoil is going to be much more. so it just comes down to what you are comfortable with shooting.

To answer the question you asked, the 10mm is more of a man stopper than most other conventional personal protection calibers (except perhaps the .45).

As a side note, does anyone know of any manufacturers besides Glock that make a 10mm?

To answer the question you asked, the 10mm is more of a man stopper than most other conventional personal protection calibers (except perhaps the .45).

As a side note, does anyone know of any manufacturers besides Glock that make a 10mm?

tanfoglio makes a 10mm. EAA witness is the model. 10mm comes with 15 round magazine. if you buy a 10mm or .45 witness you have the option to get a conversion kit also to .22lr, 9mm, .40, 38 super. I have a .45 witness and love it. great gun and well made. I am sure their 10mm is great also.

I went to gunbroker.com and saw that Smith and Wesson also makes a 10 mm. I've inquired about this caliber at the range, but the local range does not carry anything in that caliber. Also, I've checked the price of 10 mm ammo, and I'd need a second job just to buy ammo. I would like to shoot and maybe own a 10 mm one day.

I Love my 10mm S&W 1076.

The recoil is strong. It is very accurate and easy to shoot. I like to fire it with DT ammo. The 135 Noslar goes 1600 FPS. At that speed you would see the flash but be dead before you heard the sound. At the range people come over to see what's making more noise than their .45s. I don't carry it. Mostly because If I had to go to court they might point out it is suitable for shooting bears. I would trust it for shooting through cover better than most any other round. But I would worry that it may not stop until it hit someone.

10mm has fallen out of favor for a long time. It was listed as one of the calibers that's considered obsolete and may become a wildcat round. Ammo is scarce and very expensive. If you get a 10mm consider reloading if you don't reload now. Save all your brass. 10mm is one caliber that I don't have in my collection but that doesn't mean that I won't buy one. If I find one at a good price I will add it.

Here is a good read on 10mm. Look especially at the Performance info. Notice it falls between the .357 Magnum and the 41 mag in muzzle energy

10mm Auto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dan Wesson makes a 10mm along with those already listed. It seems to be making a come back, just don't think it will even come close to the 45's popularity.

I don't know but it seems that it is a more rare cal. and therfore could be harder to obtain ammo. 9mm, 45 and perhaps 40 you should be able to get just about anywhere.

I don't know but it seems that it is a more rare cal. and therfore could be harder to obtain ammo. 9mm, 45 and perhaps 40 you should be able to get just about anywhere.

I carried my Glock 20 for 3+ years, I will totally agree with this statement. Winchester, Hornady, PMC, UMC, American Eagle (fed) all make ammo for the 10MM but trying to find ammo is very hard at the average store. I started reloading right after I got my 10mm and have since stockpiled about 10k worth of brass one way or another. Having said that I still carry factory ammo.

I do buy new rounds only when buying 10mm. I save my brass and will sell it as brass used only one time. I'm not a reloader and do not want to be.

So to answer your question.Cost of ammo. I think the 45cal 185 grain comes close to 10mm.

I still believe that you have to go with what you are most comfortable shooting. Yes it may have more knock down power than a 9mm, however if you are not comfortable shooting it and are wild with it at the range, I dont think it would server you well to have to use it under pressure. To me, what you are comfortable holding, shooting, and have no issues with at all should be what you carry. If you are very comfy with the 10mm then by all means go right ahead. I am just saying that to me, I would rather carry a 9mm that I am very comfortable with and very accurate with than a 10mm that I am not so comfortable shooting.

Also very good points about the 10mm being hard to find. I have heard from guys at the range that it is very rare to find 10mm in most places.

The recoil is strong. It is very accurate and easy to shoot. I like to fire it with DT ammo. The 135 Noslar goes 1600 FPS. At that speed you would see the flash but be dead before you heard the sound. At the range people come over to see what's making more noise than their .45s. I don't carry it. Mostly because If I had to go to court they might point out it is suitable for shooting bears. I would trust it for shooting through cover better than most any other round. But I would worry that it may not stop until it hit someone.

...or something. Isn't this true of all rounds though?

...or something. Isn't this true of all rounds though?

I meant that it would go through more (doors, walls, etc.) than most rounds before stopping. It was designed (after the Miami incident) for the FBI because they have to shoot at people behind cover.

I meant that it would go through more (doors, walls, etc.) than most rounds before stopping. It was designed (after the Miami incident) for the FBI because they have to shoot at people behind cover.
Thats true but it all is determined by the round you use. I imagine that they were using full jacked ball ammo. A hollow point or soft nose round will mushroom and won't penetrate as much. Lower velocity ammo will be effective also. Remember ammo and barrel length makes the firearm effective not so much the design.

Thats true but it all is determined by the round you use. I imagine that they were using full jacked ball ammo. A hollow point or soft nose round will mushroom and won't penetrate as much. Lower velocity ammo will be effective also. Remember ammo and barrel length makes the firearm effective not so much the design.

Everything you say is true. Which IMO defeats the reason for carrying a 10mm. That's why I carry a .40S&W. It's a less powerful 10mm round. And I don't put Double Tap ammo in it. Regular factory ammo has what I feel is the right amount of power.

I doubt they went to FMJ with the 10mm. In the Miami firefight the FBI used .38 Special 158 grain +P lead hollow points, 9X19 Winchester 115 grain Silver Tips, and a .357 Magnum. Taken from
http://www.guitarsalon.biz/10mm/10fbi.htm:

At any rate, the FBI test events were:

Bare Gelatin at 10 feet
Heavy Clothing at 10 ft.
Automotive sheet metal at 10 ft. (2 pieces of 20ga. hot rolled steel spaced 3" apart)
Wall board at 10' (2 pieces of standard 1/2" wall board 3 1/2" apart)
Plywood at 10 feet. One piece 3/4" AA fir plywood
Automotive glass at 10 ft. (Standard windshield glass mounted at 45 deg angle)
Light clothing at 20 yds.
Automotive glass at 20 yards (shots fired from front otherwise same as #6 above)

All shots fired had to defeat the above obstacles AND penetrate 12" into a block of ballistic gelatin (except # 1 of course). The 12" was developed on anatomical averages, and failing to penetrate to that depth was considered a failure.

The rounds they tested that passed 100% were a 10mm Norma JHP 170 grain froma 5" barrel Delta at 1358 fps and a .357 Magnum Fed HS 158 at 1183 from a 3" barrel.

Not only that, but ammo choices have to be STARK in the 10mm category. Besides that, it must be pretty cost prohibitive.

Not only that, but ammo choices have to be STARK in the 10mm category. Besides that, it must be pretty cost prohibitive.

Guns:
Glock, Kimber, Dan Wesson,EAA Witness, lots of Colts and S&Ws around.
AND S&W has a revolver for you wheel gun guys.

Ammo:
Corbon, Double Tap, Federal American, Speer Gold Dot, still Winchester Black Talons around.

Not bad for a round that is obsolete. No lack of guns or ammo. Biggest problem is no one stocks them they are best ordered on-line. Cost is another matter.

It's not a gun I would pick as a SHTF gun as ammo will not be available to find.

If you like BIG bangs it is a fun gun to have.

Forgot, guns: Fusion, old Springfields. Laseraim? Parker? BREN TEN, Wilson Combat.
Forgot Ammo: Hornady, Remington, Magsafe, Glaser, and CCI Blaser.

Last edited:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back