Maximum State Reciprocity

jimmiepoison

I travel frequently throughout the United States for work, and am currently obtaining both a Utah and Oregon permit. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts as to the best permits to obtain so that you would be covered in the most possible states. I had heard that if I added Florida to the two that I have I would be able to carry in every state possible for an Oregon resident. Looking at the maps it appears there are still several other states I would have to apply to individually. What is the best combination of permits available to non-residents to get the maximum legal coverage throughout the country?

The problem is that several states have changed their laws so that they do not accept non-resident permits from other states, Florida is one. You already have a great combo in Oregon and Utah, however, if you plan on traveling to Florida regularly you may want to get their non-resident. This would also add Kansas to your list. The rest would be individual permits if they offer non-resident permits. Good luck.

The problem is that several states have changed their laws so that they do not accept non-resident permits from other states, Florida is one. You already have a great combo in Oregon and Utah, however, if you plan on traveling to Florida regularly you may want to get their non-resident. This would also add Kansas to your list. The rest would be individual permits if they offer non-resident permits. Good luck.

Getting permits from states you travel in a lot is a good idea. Trying to explain reciprocity at night by the side of the road is not my idea of a good time.

The more the merrier. Reciprocity laws are changing day to day, minute to minute AND you may not realize it until you have already entered the state in question, thus if you travel a whole lot consider the investment in permits just that. But still keep up on the reciprocity laws directly from the state web sites (and even THEY are behind much of the time). The suggestion of getting permits from the states you travel through a lot is a good one IF that state issues non resident permits, but keep in mind that not all states do that and in fact, there are only a handful (about a dozen) that you can get with relative ease.

Honestly, this is one of the reasons that I keep hoping for a national reciprocity law, much the same as drivers licenses are recognized anywhere. US Citizen? Got a concealed carry permit with NICS? You are good to go in any state. Done deal.

The more the merrier. Reciprocity laws are changing day to day, minute to minute AND you may not realize it until you have already entered the state in question, thus if you travel a whole lot consider the investment in permits just that. But still keep up on the reciprocity laws directly from the state web sites (and even THEY are behind much of the time). The suggestion of getting permits from the states you travel through a lot is a good one IF that state issues non resident permits, but keep in mind that not all states do that and in fact, there are only a handful (about a dozen) that you can get with relative ease.

Honestly, this is one of the reasons that I keep hoping for a national reciprocity law, much the same as drivers licenses are recognized anywhere. US Citizen? Got a concealed carry permit with NICS? You are good to go in any state. Done deal.

Amen! Im hoping to be in posession of 4 permits by early next year. My current Oregon permit, Utah, Maine, and N.H. And I too am hoping for national reciprocity a.s.a.p. Ugh. Its way overdue.

Amen! Im hoping to be in posession of 4 permits by early next year. My current Oregon permit, Utah, Maine, and N.H. And I too am hoping for national reciprocity a.s.a.p. Ugh. Its way overdue.

Waaaaaay overdue at this point but we have politics involved and infringement on state regulatory rights and so on... what I can't figure out is how (then) did we manage to get the states to recognize one another's driver licenses, vehicle registrations, and so on.

My only great fear is that at the federal level we may be opening a pandora's box... but having said that, there is so very much to be said for reciprocity and reciprocity alone without all of the other 'junk' that might get tagged on.

Or tagged onto to a porkbelly bill that just MUST get through - which is why we have laws that we are completely happy with but managed to get tagged onto a porker and pass.

RECIPROCITY. Think RECIPROCITY (alone).

Permits

Have SC resident and Maine, PA and nH non resident and may drop by paperwork by Minn when we go up next Oct. Can carry in 37 states.

Again, keep a close eye on those non resident permit laws and reciprocity in general, friends. They change constantly (take the word of one who travels a whole lot when able).

It is time for national reciprocity at the least; a single permit available to all US CITIZENS regardless of residency as long as they pass the screenings.

Working in Canada I naturally make my home here, ONE HOUR from the border. This precludes me from holding a valid permit in several states and makes my non res permits invalid in several states. Exactly who was it that decided that I am no longer one of "We the People?".

Good news is that we have perhaps three years at most before retirement to the southern states, but even then we have been discussing buying a Winnebago and making THAT our home. So where do I live? In some Post Office Box or arbitrarily in a state where I decide to register to vote via some cousin's address? Silliness abounds methinks.

I don't like it; the whole reason there isn't universal reciprocity is because different states have different requirements for the license. Federally-mandated reciprocity would open the door for the federal government to regulate the requirements for CC.

If the fed were to do anything, they should just abolish the requirement for handgun licensing in general as an infringement of the 2nd. :laugh:

I know Texas has alot of states that piggy back off of it

How so? I have been looking around to get a U.S. drivers license and it appears that unless I am permanently resident in a given state it is almost impossible to get one. Since I have a Canadian driver's license I am double whammied cuz they make me hand in my Canadian DL to boot. So much silliness these days.

Is there a state that will issue a DL without being a permanent long term resident? Used to have one from NY state but not possible any longer unless I live there long term permanent.

I don't like it; the whole reason there isn't universal reciprocity is because different states have different requirements for the license. Federally-mandated reciprocity would open the door for the federal government to regulate the requirements for CC.

If the fed were to do anything, they should just abolish the requirement for handgun licensing in general as an infringement of the 2nd. :laugh:

Exactly my feelings to a "T". My thought would be your second suggestion but that will not happen in my lifetime methinks. So we are caught between the devil and the deep blue sea as they say.

Again, keep a close eye on those non resident permit laws and reciprocity in general, friends. They change constantly (take the word of one who travels a whole lot when able).

And they sometimes change for the worse :( As of July 2009 the Utah permit is no longer accepted in Nevada.

Butch

I don't know if this question has been asked before, so bear with me. Has anybody had any experience where they got stopped and presented a carry permit from a state other than the one you were stopped in? Was the reciprocity concept honored, or did you get a hard time, cuffed and stuffed, etc?

Getting permits from states you travel in a lot is a good idea. Trying to explain reciprocity at night by the side of the road is not my idea of a good time.

I agree but some may not be able to afford a permit from every state they travel in. I only have two, Georgia and Florida and it covers the states I travel in most. Haven't had any problems with LE yet.

I don't know if this question has been asked before, so bear with me. Has anybody had any experience where they got stopped and presented a carry permit from a state other than the one you were stopped in? Was the reciprocity concept honored, or did you get a hard time, cuffed and stuffed, etc?

Its easy enough to print the AG recip list pages for each of the states you will be in...carry with you when traveling. That way if you come across and LEO that doenst know...

An interesting side note. In SC we do not have reciprocity with Georgia, who geographically right next door. The reason is simple, SC doesn't want Georgia CWP holders carrying in our state because the testing standards for obtaining a permit in Georgia are not up to SC standards.

Not saying I agree, its just interesting to note the politics between states which prevent reciprocity.

An interesting side note. In SC we do not have reciprocity with Georgia, who geographically right next door. The reason is simple, SC doesn't want Georgia CWP holders carrying in our state because the testing standards for obtaining a permit in Georgia are not up to SC standards.

Not saying I agree, its just interesting to note the politics between states which prevent reciprocity.

heh....PA borders 6 states...only 1 of which allows reciprocity...and thats the one with (i think) the smallest shared border WV. :wacko:

SC doesn't want Georgia CWP holders carrying in our state because the testing standards for obtaining a permit in Georgia are not up to SC standards.

Pretty offensive to have 'testing standards' for exercising a Constitutional Right :( Oregon is the same though. They don't accept permits from any other state and only issue to citizens of neighboring states.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back