Out of stater applying for CCW

MerkXRTurbo

Hey guys, I am a Washington resident and CCW holder, and I'd like to expand my range, so to speak, into Oregon. My dad did it, so I know it's possible (although he did have to wait a while). What abilitated him to obtain one, was the fact that he worked in Oregon, as do I.

From what I can find out, you go to a Sheriff's office and apply there as an out of stater, and it's up to the Sheriff whether or not you can have one. Multnomah County is the Sheriff's office that is local to me (i.e. Liberalville, USA), so I was thinking that my odds were better if I applied in a more rural county, if possible. Can one do this, or does it have to be a more local county to them? Any tips on what I can do to increase my odds?

You can apply to any county in Oregon.

And I agree, more rural ones do tend to be more gun-friendly. Try east of the Cascades if you get a chance.

I cant say specifically which are the most friendly to non-res; sorry

Shall vs may issue...

Few weeks ago while visiting in Portland area I tried to apply for an out of state CW permit. I was told by the Sheriff's Office Clerk they process applications only from the adjacent states. Being from People's Republic of California I would have to apply somewhere in the Southern portions of the Oregon. Driving by Eugene I stopped at the Indoor Gun Range and inquired about this issue. The guy, introduced himself as a CCW Instructor and told me they do not issue permits to anyone out of state. The only way one could get a permit, if he had a business in Oregon. In any case, it did not make any sense at all in both cases. The law said "Shall", but it turns out to be "May". What gives?

It's "shall" for Oregon residents, and "may" (pronounced: "probably not") for residents of WA, ID, NV, and CA. Oregon will not issue for any other state.

If you really want one, drive up to Grant County. Their sheriff recently announced that he supports non-residents applying for CHLs.

It's "shall" for Oregon residents, and "may" (pronounced: "probably not") for residents of WA, ID, NV, and CA. Oregon will not issue for any other state.

If you really want one, drive up to Grant County. Their sheriff recently announced that he supports non-residents applying for CHLs.

Any idea how long it would take to issue if I traveled to Grant County? Do I need a CC permit/license from my home state?

gf

I'm a Washington resident and got my Oregon permit in Umatilla County. They accepted my Utah permit training as the required safety course and in about 60 days I had my permit.

I do think it's required to have your home state permit as well...

Do you have anything published in writing or online to support this? I'll attend Thunder Ranch if I can legally CCW in OR.

How is Douglas County for non-resident permits issue? I am a resident of California.
I'd consult the Oregon Firearms Federation on that one. Keep in mind that if you are ever denied, you have to report it as such on any future CCW applications. I'd go to the extra trouble to go to Grant County who is shall issue for all OR bordering States.

I'd consult the Oregon Firearms Federation on that one. Keep in mind that if you are ever denied, you have to report it as such on any future CCW applications. I'd go to the extra trouble to go to Grant County who is shall issue for all OR bordering States.

Thanks so much. I don't know where Grant County is but I'll check.

Just in case anyone needs to know.

Grant County is THE place to go. I contacted Sheriff Palmer, what a great guy! I'll be up there this spring.

CCW from Grant Co. Sheriff

I was at the WAC gun show in late March 2010...Grant County Oregon's stud of a sheriff was there...He had traveled to the show at the fair, setup a table and was doing all the stuff to get non-resident CCW/CWP' s.All on his own dime. Now sadly Oregon law only allows CWP to states that touch Oregon.

I will say,i did not have my check book for the two required checks, the sheriff did my packet anyways, I sent my check in on 4-1-10 with paperwork he did at the show. Got my permit on 4-19-10.
I cannot state how grateful I am to Glenn the sheriff of Grant County, Or.....I hold 5 otther permits and was even easier then my home state of Washington.

This weekend he was set up in Vancouver Wash, at a round table pizza....Drive to meet this OUTSTANDING 2nd amendment supporter and great LEO.....

EVERYONE, needs to get a permit from him. ALSO, don't be afraid to give extra to get his county a AFIS (electronic scanner type machine)fingerprint machine. And lets all make sure he has the funds to get re-elected for many years.

This is the kind of man and woman EVERY elected sheriff should be !!!!!!!!

Joe Gerace :yes4:

For California residents I would also suggest Klamath Falls Sheriff Dept. They were very friendly, helpful and it seemed to me that their only concern was that I already have a permit from the state I live in, which I do. They also said they were seeing a lot of applications coming in from California.

Previously I had applied in Medford and that experience was completely different. Not only was I denied but they seemed genuinely upset that I was even bothering them with this. I doubt they approve any non-resident permits.

Out Of Stater Applying For An Oregon Carry Permit

MerkXRTurbo: Each county is a kingdom unto itself with the sheriff as the king. Call the sheriffs' offices before making a trip. That office's carry guru, every office has one, will tell you "yes" or "no." Example -- Benton county (Corvallis, OSU, etc.) won't allow it. Several of the WA/OR counties will -- 'can't remember, off the top of my head, which ones? I've taken a number of NRA courses in the Seattle area and those instructors have located a friendly OR border county. I'll try to get the info' foryou.

Regards

Past Resident of Douglas County

How is Douglas County for non-resident permits issue? I am a resident of California.

Thanks.

I used to live in Douglas County and my dad lives there. is there a way to get a CC permit so I can carry while I visit. I live in WA and already and carrying a CC permit here. Any help appreciated. :thank_you2:

Klamath County will issue, if you own property there OR have a reason(Work in Oregon., carry money, fear for your life etc)
I own a few acres there, so it was easy for me.

You do have to sit thru a 4 hour class, but I also met the requirements for a Utah CCW too.

Grant County sounds easier, and I hear the sherriff has the new print scanner now, and you can do the course online too!

You always wanted to see Pendleton anyway!:biggrin:

Don't apply yet (save your $65). I talked to Kim Smith yesterday. She is the one that issues CWL's for Malheur County. She told me that Oregon has a bill going to the Senate in June that will accept out of state CWL's. It has already passed the House and she sounded pretty confident that it would pass the Senate. She said it would take 45 days to get a permit and by that time I might not even need one. I already have a Idaho CWL. Oregon Firearms Federation

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back