Ridiculous Question

Sidewinder

I got in an argument at work with a guy today:

We were discussing what would happen if you shot a Lit Road Flare with a shotgun (Target Load). Would it ignite and make a burst of red flame or would it do nothing at all.

Thoughts? Ammunition for my argument?

I would say try it and find out but I am laughing too hard

Chances are nothing will happen!!!

I got in an argument at work with a guy today:

We were discussing what would happen if you shot a Lit Road Flare with a shotgun (Target Load). Would it ignite and make a burst of red flame or would it do nothing at all.

Thoughts? Ammunition for my argument?

Sounds to me like you've got too much spare time on your hands.:cray:

If you really had guts, your buddy would set the flare on his head to test the theories! :blink:

I would be sure that I was in a place with little chance of anything catching on fire. It would probably just spew bits of the flare all over the place and start hundreds of little fires everywhere. Got ahead and post the video. Sounds interesting, and if your buddy is holding it send it to funniest home videos, you may win $100,000.

Ol' dopey me...I thought you were gonna shoot the flair OUT OF THE SHOTGUN. And I thought...WHAT??!!!

Obviously, I need some rest...

I doubt anything would happen. It needs a spark to set it off, and I don't think that lead pellets would cause it. Perhaps steel shot. You could get lucky and knock off the ignition cap causing ignition, but I don't think that the simple act of colliding lead shot with a road flare would do anything.

Well if the flare is lit then I am hoping the particles that are already ignited will spread to the rest of the flare.

And yes we have a LOT of free time to talk about stupid stuff like this.

AND an abundance of flares

Thanks everyone. I guess I'll have to go try it out. I'll let you know how it turns out

Well if the flare is lit then I am hoping the particles that are already ignited will spread to the rest of the flare.

And yes we have a LOT of free time to talk about stupid stuff like this.

AND an abundance of flares

Thanks everyone. I guess I'll have to go try it out. I'll let you know how it turns out

careful now... your story just may end up on mythbusters testing the validity of your claims:)

Let me know when you do it, I wanna hold your Beer!
Try a Phos/Mag shell. It will be more impressive. (100' flame thrower)

Sidewinder,

Pay no attention to these other folks. They obviously don't have the deep convictions that some of us harbor regarding the value of much needed science. I am very curious as what exactly will happen. It is my deepest and sincerest hope that you will give it a try and report back here the results of your experiment. If I may, could I suggest a few more for you to try?

Propane tank
Acetyline tank
Varying numbers of stacked plate glass
cigarette lighters

Once you have completed these experiments, please report back here... if you still have fingers anyway.

Good luck and keep that mind keen and questioning!

:no:

They did a segment on History Channel the other day where they had an old west shooter with a pistol try to light a match. He blew the head off the match (not a bad shot from about 25 feet it appeared) but it did not light. They blamed it on modern matches not using the same lighting techniques as matches of old.

I figure if that stuff is not stupid questions, neither is the flare.

I say ... bring it on!

Can't wait to see it ... video it at night if possible.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back