Full carry upgrade hearing - advice?

Which county are you in? When my son went to get the "hunting/target" retriction removed, the reason he gave the judge was that he was ultimately responsible for the saftey of his family and would like to have the restictions removed so he could carry his pistol for all lawful and legal purposes. This was in Fulton County, not exactly a metropolitan area. Just be honest with the judge in explaining your reasons. Good Luck.

I live in Ulster County NY and I am appearing before the judge on Monday morning to request having the restrictions removed from my permit to a Unrestricted NYS CCW. Currently my CCW says that I have the right to carry concealed for Hunting, Fishing and Target. Has anyone here appeared before the Ulster County Judge for his permit? Appear before any other NY Judge? What kind of questions should I expect to be asked? What "Reasons" did you give for requesting an Unrestricted license? Was it approved? Any other information you can offer? Thanks in advance guys :D

I live in Ulster County NY and I am appearing before the judge on Monday morning to request having the restrictions removed from my permit to a Unrestricted NYS CCW. Currently my CCW says that I have the right to carry concealed for Hunting, Fishing and Target. Has anyone here appeared before the Ulster County Judge for his permit? Appear before any other NY Judge? What kind of questions should I expect to be asked? What "Reasons" did you give for requesting an Unrestricted license? Was it approved? Any other information you can offer? Thanks in advance guys :D
Orange County here....I had to write a letter before I met with the judge...as I recall I mentioned that I understood what it was to be 'personally responsible' for something...that carrying was a great responsibility...only to defend your life or those of your loved ones.....let judge ask questions and don't fall in to trap...we're not LE...we're not Supermen....we just want to protect ourselves, plain and simple. Good luck.

Man, thanks for the replies I guess, but you guys are several days late and a dollar short! :laugh:

Had the hearing a couple weeks ago, got my full carry.

Man, thanks for the replies I guess, but you guys are several days late and a dollar short! :laugh:

Had the hearing a couple weeks ago, got my full carry.

NO CHIT!?!

Excellent! Good for you bro. I have mine in the AM. What can I expect?

NO CHIT!?!

Excellent! Good for you bro. I have mine in the AM. What can I expect?

I assume you've already had or left for your hearing, but my judge and the A/DA wanted to know what type of training I've had, how often and most recent qualification, and how I'll store it.

I met with the judge this morning. He didnt ask me anythign really, just why I wanted it. I told him for security and personal protection.

He approved it.

Advice Please

I am new to this website and I appreciate everything I have seen and read so far. I do have a restricted permit in Orange County and I am considering applying for a full carry permit. I saw some here had a meeting with the judge and that they got a full carry permit. When I called the permit office in Goshen they told me to write a letter to the judge and explain the reasons why I want it. What is the best way to explain my position which is to defend myself and my family. I have had a permit since 1994 and no issues with the law. Any advice would be great.
For those who met a judge, which one did you meet with? Were they reasonable and how was your explanation? What can I expect?
Thanks

I met with Judge Cahill. He didn't say much. There was a stenographer there, and a court officer. They swore me in, he read off my file that I was there to have the restriction removed from my license. He asked me why? I said for security and personal protection. I then asked him to consider my history with firearms and past safety training, as well as the fact that I have scheduled further safety training for Oct. He said that he would approve it based on my business and because of the manner in which I carry myself. He then reminded me that in NY it is a "Privilege" to carry, one that he does not give away freely because its his name going on my license. That was it. I thanked him, stood up, shook his hand and left.

I quoted this from another post I replied to. You need to state a case as to WHY you NEED to carry and Personal Protection is not a good enough answere. Sorry.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back